Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian Federal Election 2019

Black Red Devil

The major parties are Labour (left) and the Liberal/National coalition (right).  One Nation (far right), Greens (environmentalist) and United Australia (right) are other main candidates to grab some seats in Parliament.

Australians will elect 151 MPs (one from each seat) to the lower house and 40 senators (six per state and two per territory) to the upper house. The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald-Ispsos poll has had Labor ahead in every survey taken since the 2016 election.

link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VOX POPULI, VOX DEI

Hey there Black Red Devil,  I'm and American, but I used to live in Australia, and I was sorry to hear about Bob Hawke's death yesterday.  He was your PM back when I was living there, and those were some happy times for me.  I keep an eye on Australia from time to time as I am fond of the place.  I am also considered an honorary Australian by other Australians because I personally killed a nest of redbacks and a funnelweb (jk).  That wasn't my question tho.

My question is this...  You mention the United Australia Party, and you say they are right wing, and this fellow Clive Palmer seems to be trying to be Australia's answer to Donald Trump, even running the same MAGA slogan.  This seems unusual given the 2 party system in Australia is pretty entrenched, and while the LNP coalition is one thing, and the Labor/Green thing is another, I don't properly understand what Clive Palmer and the UAP is all about.  I mean, if he is right wing, does that mean he will split the coalition vote?  How does he relate to One Nation?  He just sort of appeared whole cloth out of nowhere last federal election; did nobody say WTF?  I know that Australian politics has become a lot more volatile since the internet, but I can't see how the UAP can be anything other than a huge waste of money.  As you are posting on the issue, I would really appreciate anything you can tell me about this to fill me in.  I am hoping that if you are posting this, that you are clued in about what is going on and can fill me in, at least as far as your own opinion goes.  I have read a bit on the matter, but journalists tend to tell the story that they want to sell imo. 

5 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

but I can't see how the UAP can be anything other than a huge waste of money

Clive Palmer is a billionaire and throwing money at advertising is no problem. Quite unlikely to have any impact, other than a slight chance they may pick up a seat or two in the Senate, and possibly have the balance of power, but the foremost political pundit in the country thinks it unlikely.

Edited by Habitat
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

Hey there Black Red Devil,  I'm and American, but I used to live in Australia, and I was sorry to hear about Bob Hawke's death yesterday.  He was your PM back when I was living there, and those were some happy times for me.  I keep an eye on Australia from time to time as I am fond of the place.  I am also considered an honorary Australian by other Australians because I personally killed a nest of redbacks and a funnelweb (jk).  That wasn't my question tho.

My question is this...  You mention the United Australia Party, and you say they are right wing, and this fellow Clive Palmer seems to be trying to be Australia's answer to Donald Trump, even running the same MAGA slogan.  This seems unusual given the 2 party system in Australia is pretty entrenched, and while the LNP coalition is one thing, and the Labor/Green thing is another, I don't properly understand what Clive Palmer and the UAP is all about.  I mean, if he is right wing, does that mean he will split the coalition vote?  How does he relate to One Nation?  He just sort of appeared whole cloth out of nowhere last federal election; did nobody say WTF?  I know that Australian politics has become a lot more volatile since the internet, but I can't see how the UAP can be anything other than a huge waste of money.  As you are posting on the issue, I would really appreciate anything you can tell me about this to fill me in.  I am hoping that if you are posting this, that you are clued in about what is going on and can fill me in, at least as far as your own opinion goes.  I have read a bit on the matter, but journalists tend to tell the story that they want to sell imo. 

Clive Palmer made his fortune in real estate and mining and has been bumping around (right wing) politics for a while, but only came to prominence in the last half a dozen years or so when he started his own Party, under his own name, which is now called United Australia.  In this election campaign he's spent something like 30 million A$ in advertisements, which, according to the pundits may get him a Seat in the Senate.  Some of his electoral promises are absolutely unachievable though, i.e, like promising pensioners an extra $150 per week in their paycheck.  LOL, who believes such nonsense? 

If Labour wins, as the polls predict, it's likely he'll join in with the Liberals/Nationals and One Nation party to counterbalance Labour policies if he manages to win some seats in Parliament. if Labour wins in a landslide they will count for little.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

He's making promises he can't possibly keep.  It doesn't matter because he won't need to.

I have to say I'm cynical about his anti Chinese theme. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

The major parties are Labour (left) and the Liberal/National coalition (right).  One Nation (far right), Greens (environmentalist) and United Australia (right) are other main candidates to grab some seats in Parliament.

Australians will elect 151 MPs (one from each seat) to the lower house and 40 senators (six per state and two per territory) to the upper house. The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald-Ispsos poll has had Labor ahead in every survey taken since the 2016 election.

link

Oddly, the ALP spell Labor by ignoring U.

23 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Oddly, the ALP spell Labor by ignoring U.

True, how un-Australian.

• Like 2

In a major upset, the govt seems likely to have been re-elected. Although the pollsters had the parties reasonably close, the betting markets did not, with as much as $11 (10 to 1) available this morning, about the seemingly now victorious incumbents. One punter was reported as having placed a million dollar bet on the very short priced Labor Party. Ouch !

• Haha 1

Coalition victory.....just goes to show that opinion polls mean squat :rolleyes:....

Glad Bill the Pill didn't get in as our PM.

The people have spoken. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The polls always showed Bill trailing as "preferred PM". It seems that is how people vote, though it isn't a presidential system.

5 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Coalition victory.....just goes to show that opinion polls mean squat :rolleyes:....

Glad Bill the Pill didn't get in as our PM.

The people have spoken. 

It’s always a ‘vote for who you dislike least’ kinda thing.

Who is going to be generally the least ****ty at being top dog.

Opinion polls do suck. 

• Like 1

Just now, Habitat said:

The polls always showed Bill trailing as "preferred PM". It seems that is how people vote, though it isn't a presidential system.

As long as Clive Palmer is out of it, most are happy. 

He is a complete idiot. He has been spamming his ads non-stop. 

He was suggesting a Chinese invasion in relation to regular mining airfields, then proceeded to have his political material printed in China. Then when found out he removed that information from the paperwork, which is in breach of Australian law. 

He is not unlike Trump. But he’ll never be in political power here. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The polls always showed Bill trailing as "preferred PM". It seems that is how people vote, though it isn't a presidential system.

It seems that he wasn't that preferred then. 

3 minutes ago, Timothy said:

As long as Clive Palmer is out of it, most are happy. 

He is a complete idiot. He has been spamming his ads non-stop. 

He was suggesting a Chinese invasion in relation to regular mining airfields, then proceeded to have his political material printed in China. Then when found out he removed that information from the paperwork, which is in breach of Australian law. 

He is not unlike Trump. But he’ll never be in political power here. 

Ugh!...Clive Palmer is a fat-man-rich-man- joke. You could not have said it better in your post.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I said he was trailing Morrison as preferred PM, despite his party being preferred.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I said he was trailing Morrison as preferred PM, despite his party being preferred.

Apologies....I misread...your'e right.

10 minutes ago, Astra. said:

That’s the problem we have. Did you see him jogging? 

It’s like someone said: ‘Hey Bill, Tony and others were out swimming and jogging, maybe that will help the campaign.’. 

It’s not something we needed or wanted him to do, and an unfit guy jogging did not compliment him or his cause. It was a bit unfortunate in the way he did it. 

Not to body shame or anything; but it just looked like a forced and misplaced attempt to appeal to something which they did not properly understand.

Tony in his budgie smugglers was at least natural. Lol!!

4 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Ugh!...Clive Palmer is a fat-man-rich-man- joke. You could not have said it better in your post.

I’m glad that you feel the same. Most do. He’s pushing too hard with too little to offer for anyone outside of his specific ball of interest.

A businessman nonetheless.

• Like 1

The polling industry would be in crisis, the raw vote for the ALP was being assessed at 37 or 38% , but is only 33%-ish , that is a hell of a discrepancy, and is being partly attributed to the decline in listed land line phones that have traditionally been called for polling.

HOW THE **** DOES SHORTEN SNATCH DEFEAT?

HONEST TO GOD.... 

Just because Bill’s got all the charm of a damp braid-aid in a swimming pool, deosn’t mean the only other option is to vote for the LNP.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

The polling industry would be in crisis, the raw vote for the ALP was being assessed at 37 or 38% , but is only 33%-ish , that is a hell of a discrepancy, and is being partly attributed to the decline in listed land line phones that have traditionally been called for polling.

They claimed state of the art vote counting technologies to determine the decision, but still it’s paper voting with no ID required.

I don’t understand how the paper system is accurate. Can someone please explain it to me? I don’t think I’m a complete idiot, but I apparently may be.

Came across as a weak leader. Or a non-leader. More of a type who has an eye for what might sell, but with little ability to sell it. His ever-smiling wife being conscripted to add some charisma to him, also seemed cringeworthy to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timothy said:

That’s the problem we have. Did you see him jogging? 

It’s like someone said: ‘Hey Bill, Tony and others were out swimming and jogging, maybe that will help the campaign.’. 

It’s not something we needed or wanted him to do, and an unfit guy jogging did not compliment him or his cause. It was a bit unfortunate in the way he did it. 

Not to body shame or anything; but it just looked like a forced and misplaced attempt to appeal to something which they did not properly understand.

Tony in his budgie smugglers was at least natural. Lol!!

I’m glad that you feel the same. Most do. He’s pushing too hard with too little to offer for anyone outside of his specific ball of interest.

A businessman nonetheless.

Lol,,,yes, I saw him jogging...talk about 'try hard'....the man has no fitness level at all :rolleyes:.....then I saw him cuddling dogs instead of babies. Ugh, pathetic to say the least to get the votes.

Anyway, nail on the head Timothy with everything that you've mentioned.

We don't know yet as in how Morrison will perform....but he'd have to be a better choice than wimpy Shorten. The man Bill Shorten simply has no 'true grit'..and thank god that the people saw this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Came across as a weak leader. Or a non-leader. More of a type who has an eye for what might sell, but with little ability to sell it. His ever-smiling wife being conscripted to add some charisma to him, also seemed cringeworthy to me.

Scott and Bill both felt similar to me. Insincere.

I didn’t mind Julia Gillard because she seemed to be reasonable. I’m not very political though, very little specifically political education.

Oh well, lets see how we go for the next few years!