Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cheese made from belly button & armpit bacteria

Still Waters

Sure, buying one of Jimi Hendrix’s guitars or collecting a lock of Charlotte Bronte’s hair might seem like the ultimate act of fandom. But would you sink your teeth into a piece of cheese made from their armpit bacteria? A new exhibit at the Victoria & Albert Museum asks just that, taking celebrity culture to the next level—literally. As part of an exhibit called Food: Bigger Than the Plate, the museum is showing off five types of cheese made from microbes collected from British celebrities.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cheese-made-celebrity-belly-buttons-and-armpit-bacteria-goes-display-180972189/

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Cheese made from belly button & armpit bacteria

:blink:

EEEWWWWHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I think I threw up a little in my mouth.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Scientist and cheesemakers at the London biolab Open Cell collected bacteria from celebrity armpits, ears, noses and bellybuttons. The bacteria was then grown in the lab until suitable strains could be selected for cheesemaking.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cheese-made-celebrity-belly-buttons-and-armpit-bacteria-goes-display-

Sorry i do not care what their reasons are, its gross.

If they want to do research on bacteria fine, but why blooming celebrities and why make cheese? Blooming ridiculous. 

On show are various cheeses - mozzarella, comte, cheddar, Cheshire and stilton - or "microbial portraits"

I am going to be reading the ingredients  on all the above from now on,  not sure they can use those names if the ingredients are completely different and not made by those companies, eg:

Comté is a French cheese produced in the Jura Massif region of Eastern France. The unpasteurised cow's milk used is mainly from Montbeliarde Cattle or French Simmental (or crossbreeds of the two).

So how can they say Comte if it is actually made from humans and not in that region?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Uh... no... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, and then said:

Uh... no... 

and to think I actually use to work for those people. :o

• Confused 1

I love smelly cheese's. Why did you guy's have to go spoilt it for everyone else. 

• Haha 3

Mmmmmmm.  So, soon we will be able to have real toe jam on crackers?!   Science rocks!

....butter?

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I love smelly cheese's. Why did you guy's have to go spoilt it for everyone else. 

I'm right there with ya!  I LOVE very aged ultra-sharp cheddar.  It is a delight of the gods, just like peanut butter :w00t:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'd like a bug burger with belly button cheese and extra armpit cheese to go. 

Howabout with some Piney's puke sauce?  :o

49 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

1 minute ago, and then said:

I'm right there with ya!  I LOVE very aged ultra-sharp cheddar.  It is a delight of the gods, just like peanut butter :w00t:  

Both of your farts probably smell like a corpse.......

1 minute ago, and then said:

Yeah i like the blue mouldy ones and the soft cam's and brie's too. well i used to. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Both of your farts probably smell like a corpse.......

Smelling your own farts is healthy. Eating penicillin bacteria laden cheese must be very beneficial to my health. But i don't recommend you smelling mine thou. 

https://technology.inquirer.net/68525/smelling-farts-health-benefits-study-finds

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Just because one can, does not mean one should. 

What you never smelt one of your's? 

:wacko: :wacko:  There's just no little green pukey guy.

There is a brewery here in Oregon that sourced their yeast strain from a guys beard.