Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

'Incredibly rare' Roman coin found

Still Waters

An "incredibly rare" Roman coin minted for an ill-fated emperor has been found during work to upgrade an A road.

It depicts Ulpius Cornelius Laelianus, who reigned for about two months in AD269 before he was killed.

The discovery was made during a dig as part of Highways England's £1.5bn scheme to improve the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon.

Archaeologist Steve Sherlock said the "significant' find was only the second of its kind to be unearthed in England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-48314102

• Like 8

pallidin

I can just barely imagine how special it must be to unearth an ancient coin.

My heart would thump, for sure.

• Like 4

Alchopwn
3 hours ago, Still Waters said:

An "incredibly rare" Roman coin minted for an ill-fated emperor has been found during work to upgrade an A road.

It depicts Ulpius Cornelius Laelianus, who reigned for about two months in AD269 before he was killed.

The discovery was made during a dig as part of Highways England's £1.5bn scheme to improve the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon.

Archaeologist Steve Sherlock said the "significant' find was only the second of its kind to be unearthed in England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-48314102

If you are interested about who Ulpius Cornelius Laelianus was, here is the wiki page:  Laelianus link  Be warned, he is a bit of a cypher, history doesn't record much about him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

hetrodoxly

The amount of Roman coins found in the UK were sent here to placate the tribes but never used in the monetary sense so ended up being hidden in the ground or buried as an offering to the gods.

Ozymandias
3 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

The amount of Roman coins found in the UK were sent here to placate the tribes but never used in the monetary sense so ended up being hidden in the ground or buried as an offering to the gods.

You don't know that- it is mere plausible speculation. You do not know with any certainty why the majority of recovered Roman coins were deposited where they were found.

hetrodoxly
2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

You don't know that- it is mere plausible speculation. You do not know with any certainty why the majority of recovered Roman coins were deposited where they were found.

This isn't my theory, what's yours?

and then

Until I met an avid collector, I never understood how relatively common this coinage was.  Yes, there are rare and valuable Roman coins but scarcity is usually the measure of value and there were a LOT of Roman coins left lying about.

hetrodoxly
8 hours ago, and then said:

Until I met an avid collector, I never understood how relatively common this coinage was.  Yes, there are rare and valuable Roman coins but scarcity is usually the measure of value and there were a LOT of Roman coins left lying about.

We used to go to sites where you could hardly put your metal detector down without finding a Roman coin, what we called 'crud' extremely corroded bronze coins as if lost with no care, silver coins aren't what you'd call rare but found in far less quantity, gold coins are extremely rare (sadly i've never found one) then moving on to the Anglo Saxon period, coins become much rarer and the first evidence of them being used as general currency we find them worn from use and later cut in half and quarters to create half pennies, farthings.