Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More mystery 'jars of the dead' found in Laos

UM-Bot

Water storage. Already confirmed.

May have been used for other things afterwards, of course.

• Like 1

Those things are how The Plain of Jars got the name.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, pallidin said:

Confirmed by whom? All I can find is that your claim is a "suggested explanation".

Besides, it seems illogical to build huge stone reservoirs, some weighing several tonnes, only to collect rainwater. Cultures of that time in that area would probably have access to far more effective methods. It is a fine explanation for a secondary purpose though.

Edited by Reignite
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reignite said:

Confirmed by whom? All I can find is that your claim is a "suggested explanation".

Besides, it seems illogical to build huge stone reservoirs, some weighing several tonnes, only to collect rainwater. Cultures of that time in that area would probably have access to far more effective methods. It is a fine explanation for a secondary purpose though.

I wonder if they were similar to a "Tower of Silence". With the dead placed in them to be eaten away and decompose yet not permitted to touch the ground. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 4:21 AM, UM-Bot said:

Archaeologists have unearthed an additional 137 large stone jars at megalithic sites in Southeast Asia.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/327807/more-mystery-jars-of-the-dead-found-in-laos

I am surprised this counts as a "new" thing.  This has been known about for a very long time.  The Plain of Jars, aka the Plateau of Urns, was fought over during the Battle of Vientiane Battle of Vientiane link and was extensively bombed by the USA during the Vietnam War.  The Viet Cong and the Pathet Lao co-operated over their supply lines on the Ho Chi Minh Trail Ho Chi Minh Trail link.  It is pretty terrible that the site was so damaged and so many unexploded bombs and cluster munitions were used there.  I am not surprised that other megalithic sites have been discovered.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I am surprised this counts as a "new" thing.  This has been known about for a very long time.  The Plain of Jars, aka the Plateau of Urns, was fought over during the Battle of Vientiane Battle of Vientiane link and was extensively bombed by the USA during the Vietnam War.  The Viet Cong and the Pathet Lao co-operated over their supply lines on the Ho Chi Minh Trail Ho Chi Minh Trail link.  It is pretty terrible that the site was so damaged and so many unexploded bombs and cluster munitions were used there.  I am not surprised that other megalithic sites have been discovered.  

They are cleaning it up and there are certain areas safe for tourists and archaeologists now. That's why it's in the news. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

They are cleaning it up and there are certain areas safe for tourists and archaeologists now. That's why it's in the news. 

Oh.  Okay, that makes sense now.  Thanks Piney.  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, pallidin said:

I would have thought, given the human remains found in them, that it was a mortuary complex? Human remains in jars link

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I would have thought, given the human remains found in them, that it was a mortuary complex? Human remains in jars link

Maybe someone drowned in it...

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 1:59 AM, Piney said:

I wonder if they were similar to a "Tower of Silence". With the dead placed in them to be eaten away and decompose yet not permitted to touch the ground. 

Never heard of those before. Compared to these jars, they are a whole lot bigger. Maybe these were the mobile versions? I imagine those regions interchanged many traditions.

• Like 2