Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cern and time line jumping

Desertrat56

If this is in the wrong catagory, Please move it.  Maybe it goes in the Urban legends category.

My friend brought up a theory that is going around about CERN causing a shift in the timeline.  We had a discussion about it and I am not convinced because 1. before Cern was even a thing people have talked about time line shifts 2. the examples used to "prove" it are weak.

One example is the phrase from the movie Field of Dreams where someone tells the main actor "If you build it he will come."  For some reason a lot of people remember the line as "If you build it they will come."  which does not make sense in the context of the movie.  The guy is feeling bad about the death of his dad and can't let it go.  That is the main theme of the movie.  Another one is people remembering Nelson Mandela dying in prison.  I don't remember that, and I had never heard of that until she brought it up.  I can't remember any of the other examples.  My take on it is that we could be experiencing time shifts but not the whole planet, because if it was the whole planet everyone would remember the same things and no one would ever think of a time shift.  So, if it happens it must be small groups or individuals that experience it.  That is not to say I buy it, just consider the possibility.  I have experiences in my mind that make me know that we fool ourselves with our memory and some things that are not important I forget, other things that I remember incorrectly are based on my bias.  For example "If you build it they will come" being the way people remember it probably indicates they were not paying attention to the movie, and were thinking about something else so that in the end when all the dead baseball players showed up they though it was "they" instead of "he".

When I was 4 or 5 I used to watch a show every week called the Danny Kaye show.  I loved Danny Kaye and when the show was canceled I was so young I thought it was because Danny Kaye died.  I thouoght for years that he was dead until he was a guest on another show when I was a teenager.  It was a shock to me but I got over it.

So, has anyone else heard of the "Mandala effect"?

P.S.  I would love it if someone has an example that is not weak.

Edited by Desertrat56
P.S.
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, acute said:

The Mandela Effect is about false memories, not time slips.

That statement is like someone saying 'Ghosts are not real'. It is just one opinion stated as a fact. I hold the  Mandela Effect to be  real and this is a subject of considerable interest to me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

That statement is like someone saying 'Ghosts are not real'. It is just one opinion stated as a fact.

I agree with the OP.  If a time-slip happened, how would we know?

My take on it is that we could be experiencing time shifts but not the whole planet, because if it was the whole planet everyone would remember the same things and no one would ever think of a time shift.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

So, has anyone else heard of the "Mandala effect"?

P.S.  I would love it if someone has an example that is not weak.t

I have  more than heard of the Mandela Effect and it is one particular interest of mine. Perhaps the most commonly one in American culture at least is the Berenstain Bears being experienced in the past as the Berenstein Bears. I believe it was Berenstein Bears in my younger days ad people are definite about this one. I believe it is indeed something more mysterious than memory errors.

Another interesting phenomena are the flip/flops were names change temporarily and change back. Froot Loops/Fruit Loops and Flintstones/Flinstones are two popular example.  I had  my personal experience that proved the mandela Effect is not common memory errors that proved the Effect is something indeed mysterious:

On Aug 2, 2017 at about 16:40 EST, I was on reddit discussing the Flinstones/Flintstones flip on another thread. My position was that it is and always was the Flintstones. The guy sent me a reply saying at the time it was the Flinstones you could look at Wikipedia, and all official TV show and vitamin sites and it was always Flintstones; he used the word Flintstones in all four examples given.

I said 'I Know' you are confirming my point that it was always Flintstones.

Then when I was done with my reply and I looked up at his original post and all four 'Flintstones' had changed on my static display to 'Flinstones'. Did I just see it wrong?? I looked away and came back and it was 'Flintstones' again. I would just look away, blink, change my focus looked back and it would flip again. I was able to do this 6 or 7 times in under five minutes each time looking slowly and cautiously for this controversial 't' IN ALL FOUR PLACES. Impossible to me that I made a mistake slowly and cautiously each time. I felt something was trying to wake me up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, acute said:

I agree with the OP.  If a time-slip happened, how would we know?

Even so, now you are saying something different than the Mandela Effect is 'false memories'.

Edited by papageorge1

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Even so, now you are saying something different than the Mandela Effect is 'false memories'.

In my first post, I was simply trying to make the point that typing Mandela Effect into Wikipedia redirects you to the False Memories page, not the Time Slip page.

2 minutes ago, acute said:

In my first post, I was simply trying to make the point that typing Mandela Effect into Wikipedia redirects you to the False Memories page, not the Time Slip page.

I understand,  but there you are just getting Wikipedia's opinion.

There is a controversy that Wikipedia has been hacked by Skeptic Groups and there is even proof of that: Guerilla Skepticism on Wikipedia

You did state that Wikipedia was your source and I was pointing out that it might be a biased source. So you said nothing wrong but I felt it required a clarification on my part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

I've got a better theory; memories are unreliable and people don't like being wrong.

At worse, the creation of false memories. 

7 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

I've got a better theory; memories are unreliable and people don't like being wrong.

That is Theory #1 even for all sensible believers in the Mandela Effect. The point is that there are a few cases that some don't believe are satisfied by Theory #1 and I believe they make a compelling case. (I presented my personal experience above)

Just now, papageorge1 said:

That is Theory #1 even for all sensible believers in the Mandela Effect. The point is that there are a few cases that some don't believe are satisfied by Theory #1 and I believe they make a compelling case. (I presented my personal experience above)

The only theory that is backed by evidence.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

The only theory that is backed by evidence.

The Mandela Effect refutes our normal understanding of reality. It can't be evidenced in traditional ways.

(kind of like fleeting ghost claims)

Edited by papageorge1
  • Confused 2

The Mandela Effect refutes our normal understanding of reality. It can't be evidenced in traditional ways.

The Mandela Effect hasn't refuted anything.

• Like 2

Because our experience of reality is subjective and memories are playdoh. Every time we remember something we edit that memory. We can even create false memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Rlyeh said:

The Mandela Effect hasn't refuted anything.

I think you knew what I meant. Belief in the Mandela Effect (beyond mundane explanations) requires a refutation of our normal understanding of reality.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Because our experience of reality is subjective and memories are playdoh. Every time we remember something we edit that memory. We can even create false memories.

We believers are certainly well aware of that and find the explanation insufficient in a few cases. 

We believers are certainly well aware of that and find the explanation insufficient in a few cases. 

You deny it because you don't like it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I think you knew what I meant. Belief in the Mandela Effect (beyond mundane explanations) requires a refutation of our normal understanding of reality.

Rejection not refutation.  Refutation is the act of disproving a statement or theory.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You deny it because you don't like it. 

I'd be fine with no Mandela Effect.

5 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Rejection not refutation.  Refutation is the act of disproving a statement or theory.

I'm fine with that change of words then.

The "Mandela Effect" is simply proof that some people are suggestible and become defensive rather than admit their failings.   Nothing more.

• Like 2