Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cern and time line jumping

Desertrat56

4 hours ago, acute said:

In my first post, I was simply trying to make the point that typing Mandela Effect into Wikipedia redirects you to the False Memories page, not the Time Slip page.

Thats all and good but I have found Wikipedia to be less than helpful many times and down right wrong or uninformative many times.  That search taking you to the wikipedia false memories page has more to do with your browser than it does with wikipedia.

5 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

I've got a better theory; memories are unreliable and people don't like being wrong.

I agree with that, though I suspect there could be "time-slip" incidents, I just don't think it would happen to everyone at the same time.  It could be something as simple as someone changing their mind about something that effects their experience of time or maybe only small groups of people jump from one timeline to another, if there really are separate timelines.  But even then, it has to be some perceptual/mental thing that happens as time as we experience it is not really how time works.

Edited by Desertrat56
spelling

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

The only theory that is backed by evidence.

Your evidence, not @papageorge1's evidence.  So, you would not like being called a liar if someone told you something you experienced didn't happen, why do you tell others that?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I understand,  but there you are just getting Wikipedia's opinion.

There is a controversy that Wikipedia has been hacked by Skeptic Groups

In my timeline, that never happened ...... ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You deny it because you don't like it. 

As do you deny what you don't like.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

As do you deny what you don't like.

It's easy to deny what there is not real proof of.

• Like 1

btw, on the basis that a new timeline starts every time anything happens that could have gone a different way (which obviously applies throughout the multiverse), then since I started this sentence 10,451,564,763,245,587,009,775 new timelines have started .....

Edit: each of which produce several billion new timelines every second, and so on .....

Just to put in into perspective, in case anyone believes in such things ;) 

Edited by Essan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Essan said:

The "Mandela Effect" is simply proof that some people are suggestible and become defensive rather than admit their failings.   Nothing more.

I think that is part of it, but I also think there may be a reeason that a group of people might cling to the idea of the Madala effect.  I have no idea why anyone who did not know Madela would make up a story for themselves that he died in prison, much less a bunch of random people making it up or agreeing that they remembered that when it did not happen.  It makes me think of lemmings running off a cliff because one passes them running to the cliff.  No rational thought happens.  Dogs do that too, not off a cliff but if one dog runs past the rest chase it.  People have knee jerk reactions too.

Also, some people are more suggestible than others, even more than normal and those people can be convinced of something that isn't true very easily.  And there are experiments in mind control that have been going on by corporations and goverments since before WW2.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

If this is in the wrong catagory, Please move it.  Maybe it goes in the Urban legends category.

My friend brought up a theory that is going around about CERN causing a shift in the timeline.  We had a discussion about it and I am not convinced because 1. before Cern was even a thing people have talked about time line shifts 2. the examples used to "prove" it are weak.

One example is the phrase from the movie Field of Dreams where someone tells the main actor "If you build it he will come."  For some reason a lot of people remember the line as "If you build it they will come."  which does not make sense in the context of the movie.  The guy is feeling bad about the death of his dad and can't let it go.  That is the main theme of the movie.  Another one is people remembering Nelson Mandela dying in prison.  I don't remember that, and I had never heard of that until she brought it up.  I can't remember any of the other examples.  My take on it is that we could be experiencing time shifts but not the whole planet, because if it was the whole planet everyone would remember the same things and no one would ever think of a time shift.  So, if it happens it must be small groups or individuals that experience it.  That is not to say I buy it, just consider the possibility.  I have experiences in my mind that make me know that we fool ourselves with our memory and some things that are not important I forget, other things that I remember incorrectly are based on my bias.  For example "If you build it they will come" being the way people remember it probably indicates they were not paying attention to the movie, and were thinking about something else so that in the end when all the dead baseball players showed up they though it was "they" instead of "he".

When I was 4 or 5 I used to watch a show every week called the Danny Kaye show.  I loved Danny Kaye and when the show was canceled I was so young I thought it was because Danny Kaye died.  I thouoght for years that he was dead until he was a guest on another show when I was a teenager.  It was a shock to me but I got over it.

So, has anyone else heard of the "Mandala effect"?

P.S.  I would love it if someone has an example that is not weak.

I think everyone has had a few of those experiences.

But as science is no where near advanced enough to investigate them we cannot say anything further yet. Maybe there is stuff we have yet to learn about how time or reality works.

I remember Michael J Fox dying of pancreatic cancer and watching the Sky News story about it only to discover 10 years later he was still alive. So either Sky News put out a wrong news story, or I am barking mad, or something odd is going on. I have had a few of them particularly with people aging (in number terms) faster than they should be. For example two years pass and then the next time I encounter a stars age they are 10 years older. Weird.

Oh yeah, and have you ever noticed something odd going on with cars? You have cars coming towards you on the road, you look away at something for a short term, you look back and one of them has changed colour?

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's easy to deny what there is not real proof of.

Some experiences will never have proof and if you find yourself trying to prove it to others you will be treated as you are treating some when you think you konw everything, which you don't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Essan said:

The "Mandela Effect" is simply proof that some people are suggestible and become defensive rather than admit their failings.   Nothing more.

I do understand everyone (including me) have memory inaccuracies all the time. We believe there are a few that are something different though.

I’d have zero problems admitting all my Mandela related Issues are mundane errors but I don’t seriously believe that’s the case. 

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I think everyone has had a few of those experiences.

But as science is no where near advanced enough to investigate them we cannot say anything further yet. Maybe there is stuff we have yet to learn about how time or reality works.

I remember Michael J Fox dying of pancreatic cancer and watching the Sky News story about it only to discover 10 years later he was still alive. So either Sky News put out a wrong news story, or I am barking mad, or something odd is going on. I have had a few of them particularly with people aging (in number terms) faster than they should be. For example two years pass and then the next time I encounter a stars age they are 10 years older. Weird.

Oh yeah, and have you ever noticed something odd going on with cars? You have cars coming towards you on the road, you look away at something for a short term, you look back and one of them has changed colour?

I have not had the colour experience as you have but I sometimes KNOW a car is a certain color and then later I see the same care and it is different.  Usually though it is green and blue that I confuse so usually I chock that up to me being confused for some reason.  I think some people really don't remember colors after they look away, though because there are a lot of cognitive tests that actually test that perception, flash a color then 3 quiestions later ask what color was.

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Some experiences will never have proof and if you find yourself trying to prove it to others you will be treated as you are treating some when you think you konw everything, which you don't.

You will get to know XenoFish after a while.

You wont get any meaningful debate from him in a topic like this as he lives in a very rigid world where everything is automatically rejected which doesnt fit in with it. Hi XenoFish!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

when you think you know everything, which you don't.

Neither do you. 

I've already put up support for my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, Essan said:

btw, on the basis that a new timeline starts every time anything happens that could have gone a different way (which obviously applies throughout the multiverse), then since I started this sentence 10,451,564,763,245,587,009,775 new timelines have started .....

Edit: each of which produce several billion new timelines every second, and so on .....

I believe in the Mandela Effect but not the automatically creating timelines theory you describe.

My leading thought is that consciousness is at play in this and not unthinking mechanical processes.

Reality is a product of Consciousness.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Your evidence, not @papageorge1's evidence.  So, you would not like being called a liar if someone told you something you experienced didn't happen, why do you tell others that?

Verifiable evidence.  It's a fact that memory is unreliable.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Things like fleeting paranormal events and the Mandela Effect are not verifiable to others by their very nature. That doesn't mean they can't be real!

Believers in the Mandela Effect are of course well aware that memory is imperfect but still believe a few rare things are not best explained as common memory errors.

Edited by papageorge1

19 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The Mandela Effect refutes our normal understanding of reality. It can't be evidenced in traditional ways.

(kind of like fleeting ghost claims)

Nothing you believe in can be "evidence in traditional ways". Its called moving the goalposts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Essan said:

I want to live in the timeline where instead of posting this you just put up a bunch of curse words and a gif of Courtney Cox drinking wine while riding on a giant ferret through the desert.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Nothing you believe in can be "evidence in traditional ways". Its called moving the goalposts.

That is a little unfair.  For something to be evidenced in the (so-called) "traditional" ways, I can only assume refers to using the scientific method.  Now, the claims of the Mandela Effect are interesting, but the people making the claims are unable to produce a causal link as to why CERN would have altered the timeline that is anything other than absurd.  For a start the Large Hadron Collider, which is normally considered the culprit didn't start production until 1998, and was not finished until 2008, with the first experiments being done in 2010.  Now the original Mandela Broadcast was back in the 1980s, and well before the Large Hadron Collider was a "glint in a physicist's eye".  In short, the conspiracy theory can't be true.

Now that doesn't invalidate the Mandela Effect.  I have a solid memory of being sad for quite some time when I heard that Nelson Mandela had died back in 1991.  There was a story prior to this about Mandela being very sick and  admitted to the prison hospital.  I admit that I have no memory of there being an official funeral, but I can't reconcile what I saw on TV with what happened later.  I remember being shocked wheh Nelson Mandela was released from prison, as I was sure I had heard about him dying.  I shrugged it off as being bad reporting, and thought some journalist must have got it wrong.  I am not entirely prepared to dismiss the idea that South Africa badly wanted a peaceful transition away from Apartheit, and used a Nelson Mandela body double to make it happen.  I mean, what if the real Mandela died a militant in 1991, and he was replaced?  This might explain his divorce from Winnie after all that time.  I find the whole thing is suspicious, but I am not willing to settle on a single answer just yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Yes, it is also a fact that some things are not verifiable YET.

There is something I forgot to mention.  The Berenstien/Berenstain bears is a non-incident, proof that people do not read or remember correctly.  My mother was a kindergarten teacher and my brother had those books in the 60's, and she kept those books for her class when he didn't need them any more.  The name was always Berenstain.  Maybe in some alternate reality the authors had a different name, but in this one their name is spelled with an A not an E.  I don't discount people's experiences, I just discount that it is the whole western population that is affected en masse.

• Like 2

The more I experience odd things myself and the more I hear of other people experiencing them the more I come to realise that current physics isn't the final say on things. Mind you, I notice that sceptics are quick to point out there is no evidence for this stuff. Yet there is. We all have odd experiences including them. The difference is they devalue theirs as meaning anything but a challenge to their rigid worldview.

We assume the past is fixed, but its just an assumption.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Human experiences analyzed for quantity, quality and consistency are one of the valid ways our reasoning skills help us understand reality.

The traditional scientific method does not work well with temporary, non-reproducible experiences. The wish to denigrate such evidence is one of the unfortunate aspects of mentality that has been called 'scientism'.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

There is something I forgot to mention.  The Berenstien/Berenstain bears is a non-incident, proof that people do not read or remember correctly.  My mother was a kindergarten teacher and my brother had those books in the 60's, and she kept those books for her class when he didn't need them any more.  The name was always Berenstain.  Maybe in some alternate reality the authors had a different name, but in this one their name is spelled with an A not an E.  I don't discount people's experiences, I just discount that it is the whole western population that is affected en masse.

I believe I am one of the experiencers of the Berenstain/Berenstein Mandela Effect. I just wanted to say that the books today can't be used as evidence against this Effect. The believers know all the books now say Berenstain.

When you say 'The name was always Berenstain' you are only stating your own personal experience. Others  may have had different experiences.