Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
bison

The Idea of a Lone Scientist

bison
Posted (edited)

We've been hearing a good deal lately about the detection of gravitational wave events, and the mammoth astrophysical collisions inferred to be their source. The backstory of how this new science of gravitational wave astronomy came about is pretty interesting, in itself. It involves the extraordinary persistence of a scientist, Dr. Richard Isaacson, and the National Science Foundation trusting in his insights, to the tune of a billion dollars in grant money. Many had doubted that gravitational waves could ever be detected, including Dr. Albert Einstein. Better and better laser interferometers were tried, looking for these gravitational waves, without success. At long last, the gamble paid off. The results now frequently grace even the pages of our daily newspapers.

The details of this story are given below:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/19/723326933/billion-dollar-gamble-how-a-singular-hero-helped-start-a-new-field-in-physics

Edited by bison
  • Like 7

sci-nerd

And while science goes from triumph to triumph, most people are still stuck in ancient beliefs. It is as amazing as it is sad.

Gravitational waves was the one thing missing to give solid evidence to the Big Bang theory. We got it. No one cares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

quiXilver

Big Bang Theory.  Proposed by a Jesuit as an explanation for the Biblical creation myth.

and then
2 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

most people are still stuck in ancient beliefs. It is as amazing as it is sad.

I wouldn't grieve overmuch for us, we're just keeping pace with those who give in to their base instincts of hate, pride, and preference for domination and subjugation :tu:  The brilliant still fail in the same ways where that's concerned.  That isn't meant as snark, BTW, just being honest.

Aaron2016
12 hours ago, bison said:

".......to the tune of a billion dollars in grant money..........At long last, the gamble paid off....."

They paid a billion dollars just to turn a 'theory' into a 'plausible theory'.  Money well spent.  :lol:

toast
1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

They paid a billion dollars just to turn a 'theory' into a 'plausible theory'.  Money well spent.  :lol:

Science is and has always been subject to the ignorance of a few but fortunately without success to the targets and findings. Exploration is a key element of further development of humans and mankind. Its the very same will for exploration that made it possible that you can sit in front of a screen and a keyboard to spread your very own ignorance.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

- Thomas Watson, President of IBM, 1943 -

• Haha 1

Aaron2016
33 minutes ago, toast said:

Science is and has always been subject to the ignorance of a few but fortunately without success to the targets and findings. Exploration is a key element of further development of humans and mankind. Its the very same will for exploration that made it possible that you can sit in front of a screen and a keyboard to spread your very own ignorance.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

- Thomas Watson, President of IBM, 1943 -

Wasting a billion dollars on trivial projects that serve no benefit to mankind whatsoever.

'That's what one U.S. government science agency did. It's now paying off big time, with new discoveries about black holes and exotic neutron stars coming almost every week.'

They need to get their priorities straight.

• Thanks 1

Alchopwn
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Big Bang Theory.  Proposed by a Jesuit as an explanation for the Biblical creation myth.

Georges Lemaitre link  Here is the Jesuit in question.  While he was definitely an ordained priest who was educated by the Jesuits, it doesn't seem to suggest he was actually a member of the Jesuits that I could find. Did I miss something?

P.S. I am actually quite fond of the Jesuits as they are very rigorous academics, and I respect that.  

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

toast
2 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Wasting a billion dollars on trivial projects that serve no benefit to mankind whatsoever.

The dogs bark but the caravan moves on.

They need to get their priorities straight.

Of course. One billion in 40 years for the project. How may billions for the military in the same period of time?

• Like 1