Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Simple fix for sleep trouble in teenagers

Eldorado

"Sleep in teenagers can be improved by just one week of limiting their evening exposure to light-emitting screens on phones, tablets and computers, according to findings to be presented in Lyon, at the European Society of Endocrinology annual meeting, ECE 2019.

Recent studies have indicated that exposure to too much evening light, particularly the blue light emitted from screens on smartphones, tablets and computers can affect the brain's clock and the production of the sleep hormone melatonin, resulting in disrupted sleep time and quality."

Full monty at News Medical: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190520/Limiting-exposure-to-blue-light-emitting-devices-can-improve-sleep-in-teens.aspx

"expert reaction to abstract on screen use and sleep in adolescents"

At the Science Media Centre dot org: http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-abstract-on-screen-use-and-sleep-in-adolescents/

Desertrat56

Teenagers?  What about 8 year olds and adults?  This is not just a teenage problem.

alexbodman2

Does this work with insomnia?

Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, alexbodman2 said:

Does this work with insomnia?

If you are asking ab out removing the electronics from your bedroom when you want to sleep, YES.  If you have insomnia you probably need to learn some Jedi mind tricks to keep your mind from circling in those destructive, useless thought circles keeping you awake.  I know about this.  Over the years I have learned to either get up and do something that changes my mental position, or I force my self over an over to jump out of that mental circle and think about something that makes me happy, like my kids, the last hike I had, I plan hikes, or make something up.  It gets easier the more you do it, but you have to force it at first, maybe sing some silly song over and over, or just get up and exercise, clean, read something funny, etc.  The other bad habit about insomnia is getting yourself upset by looking at the clock every 5 minutes and calculating how much sleep you have lost.  Sometimes I get 5 hours of sleep, sometimes 3 or 8.  I can't worry about whether it is enough or not, somehow it always is, and why keep myself awake being mad that I can't sleep?

Edited by Desertrat56

Impedancer

Hit them in the head with a blunt object ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1