Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Upper Classes truly believe they are superior

133 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Mr Guitar
Posted (edited)

Politicians are a good example of this - most are incompetent and only want to be there for the power and money. They can't exist outside of the political arena. Ever stop and think about why so many politicians have law degrees? They went to school and did well in the 'bubble' academia environment  then find they're not successful in the real world so they escape to so-called public service. Not sure I've ever heard of a successful attorney abandoning a great firm just to run for public office. Interesting to see how many are dis-barred or convicted felons. When they get amongst their peers (where everyone is dishonest), they feed off of and protect each other. Would like to see statistics of how many senators and congressmen manage to become multi millionaires on a <$200K salary in less than a 4 year term. Could it be 'influence peddling? Oh, no.....of course not!!

Edited by Mr Guitar
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
44 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"People of higher social standing believe they are better than their lower-class counterparts, research suggests.

"And this overconfidence can then be misinterpreted as them being more competent - even if this is not necessarily true - in situations such as job interviews, according to a study.

"Researchers in the United States and Singapore carried out four experiments to look at the link between class and confidence and how they might affect the perception of a person’s abilities."

Full short article it iNews via MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/upper-classes-really-do-think-they-are-better-than-other-people-according-to-a-study/ar-AABDrSD

"Why High-Class People Get Away With Incompetence"

At the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/science/social-class-confidence.html

"People in higher social class have an exaggerated belief that they are better than others"

At Phys Org: https://phys.org/news/2019-05-people-higher-social-class-exaggerated.html

The thing is most well paid jobs require a university degree.

People from working class backgrounds like to imagine the only thing holding them back in life is money. In reality, they dont realise just how much hard work is required to get a degree. On top of that, they have to genuinely be intelligent. For both those reasons only 5% of students at my university (and I went to one of the top 5) were actually able to complete their degrees.

Intelligence cannot be taught and it isn't dependent on what school you went too or how rich your parents were. Its genetic. You are either born with it or born without and thats the sad truth of the matter.

There are other routes to financial wealth in life but most require a degree or setting yourself up in business.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

"People of higher social standing believe they are better than their lower-class counterparts, research suggests.

 

 

Classic example of the upper classes acting superior and refusing to answer any questions.

 

 

 

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

People from working class backgrounds like to imagine the only thing holding them back in life is money. In reality, they dont realise just how much hard work is required to get a degree. On top of that, they have to genuinely be intelligent. For both those reasons only 5% of students at my university (and I went to one of the top 5) were actually able to complete their degrees.

But I did have a uncle who managed to get his 2 idiots through the U of Penn with a endowment. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Intelligence is a tricky question. What exactly define it? A test. Nah, I think it all comes down to what you're capable of doing with what you know. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Intelligence is a tricky question. What exactly define it? A test. Nah, I think it all comes down to what you're capable of doing with what you know. 

As someone who is intelligent, when I come across average people I can tell there is a cognitive difference.

I think its the same for all other bright people although we dont rub it in. Its the way average people struggle with complicated tasks, its how they cannot see the logical, and I dont mean all this meanly.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

As someone who is intelligent

When you have to tell people, that raises suspicion. Anyone below a 100 IQ will has problems. The lower the number the  worse off they are. The higher it is, supposedly it's better, but I question that. I've know quite a few "Highly Intelligent" people who've done the same stupid stuff as their less intelligent counterparts. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
33 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

When you have to tell people, that raises suspicion. Anyone below a 100 IQ will has problems. The lower the number the  worse off they are. The higher it is, supposedly it's better, but I question that. I've know quite a few "Highly Intelligent" people who've done the same stupid stuff as their less intelligent counterparts. 

It's all about common sense and pragmatism. I have a stepson who's a coding genius who builds some hot gaming towers. But can't even wipe his own butt let alone survive in the outside world. 

@jmccr8  and I were talking in private how it's impossible to train a "climber" anymore and high lifts are needed for everything now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Guitar
4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Intelligence is a tricky question. What exactly define it? A test. Nah, I think it all comes down to what you're capable of doing with what you know. 

I believe that the only real reason to attend college (and I graduated) is to find out how to do research and look things up. I OJT'd as a civil engineering tech and ended up knowing more about structural design and materials than my Masters degree boss - I did the math and he signed it. Of course he inherited the business from his father who was old school and really knew the field - I learned a lot from the old guy. I also learned land surveying the same way (8 yrs OJT), passed the state test designed for college grads and was licensed to practice. I was never a great math student in school but I had a burning desire to learn and was successful in the long run and ended up owning my own survey company.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, Mr Guitar said:

I believe that the only real reason to attend college (and I graduated) is to find out how to do research and look things up. I OJT'd as a civil engineering tech and ended up knowing more about structural design and materials than my Masters degree boss - I did the math and he signed it. Of course he inherited the business from his father who was old school and really knew the field - I learned a lot from the old guy. I also learned land surveying the same way (8 yrs OJT), passed the state test designed for college grads and was licensed to practice. I was never a great math student in school but I had a burning desire to learn and was successful in the long run and ended up owning my own survey company.

I learned machine tool from practice. And a lot of screw ups. I'm more of a visual/hands on type of learner.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016

Too much inbreeding plays a big role as well.

Classic scene - The Upper Class Twit of the Year

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
16 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

As someone who is intelligent, when I come across average people I can tell there is a cognitive difference.

I think its the same for all other bright people although we dont rub it in. Its the way average people struggle with complicated tasks, its how they cannot see the logical, and I dont mean all this meanly.

You don't seem very intelligent to me.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, joc said:

I like nice people.  Some people just aren't all that intelligent but they care.  I don't like arrogance or condescension...regardless of the 'intelligence' of the person.  If you don't know how to be nice to people...all people...then how can one claim to be intelligent?

I'm not exactly a "nice" person. 

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
Just now, XenoFish said:

I'm not exactly a "nice" person. 

Yes you are!  You are a very nice person.  Just because you give it back to those who like to serve it up first doesn't mean you aren't nice.  I think you just have a very low threshold of tolerance for stupidity and arrogance.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, joc said:

 I think you just have a very low threshold of tolerance for stupidity and arrogance.  

I don't care how educated a person is, because common sense is a true measure of intelligence.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Guitar
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm not exactly a "nice" person. 

I'm not either, but can can be reasonably social until the BS starts, then I can be contrary. I have a short fuse for stupidity. Ignorance is curable with the proper education/training but you can't fix stupid (even with duct tape). Someone more famous than me said that but I agree 100%.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly

...delusions of grandeur .     The truly "best" person I know Is rather poor and has trouble making ends meet most of the time..and is the kindest most beloved guy I ever met.   Everyone who knows him loves him.  In my eyes he is truly a "superior" human being.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Podo

Eat the rich.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
Posted (edited)

When i hear the word upper class i always think of this sketc with Monty Python which sums them up... :-D 

Upper class twit of the year.

 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan

Stupidity isn't based on class.

But I agree, the higher the class they think are, the more arrogant stupid people become. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
On 5/20/2019 at 3:07 PM, RabidMongoose said:

You are either born with it or born without and thats the sad truth of the matter.

There are other routes to financial wealth in life but most require a degree or setting yourself up in business.

Intelligence is not a matter of inheritance.  Nor is it a matter of education.  Intelligence is the art of thinking.  You are not born with that...and it most certainly can be taught....and learned.  How to think...this is where intelligence actually defines itself.  No one is 'born' knowing how to think.  It is something that is learned along the road of life.  Hopefully, children's parents teach them along the way to adulthood....but so often this is not the case and so the adult is faced with the challenge of learning how to think on their own.  A degree doesn't mean you know how to think.  Acquiring a large amount of wealth doesn't mean you know how to think either.  There is no Pedigree for intelligence.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
Just now, Essan said:

Stupidity isn't based on class.

But I agree, the higher the class they think are, the more arrogant stupid people become. 

You people need to see your negativity!

You dont rise to upper class if you are incompetent. Show me a job paying even a middle class wage without a degree or professional qualification? There are some, but very few. I will only agree that intelligent people from working class backgrounds with the right mentality to go far in life need helping with social mobility. While I dont wish to bruise their egos, sadly it isn't most of them.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.