Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Upper Classes truly believe they are superior

Eldorado

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You people need to see your negativity!

You dont rise to upper class if you are incompetent. Show me a job paying even a middle class wage without a degree or professional qualification? There are some, but very few. I will only agree that intelligent people from working class backgrounds with the right mentality to go far in life need helping with social mobility. While I dont wish to bruise their egos, sadly it isn't most of them.

I float right between upper and middle class with only a high school diploma and willpower. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joc said:

Intelligence is not a matter of inheritance.  Nor is it a matter of education.  Intelligence is the art of thinking.  You are not born with that...and it most certainly can be taught....and learned.  How to think...this is where intelligence actually defines itself.  No one is 'born' knowing how to think.  It is something that is learned along the road of life.  Hopefully, children's parents teach them along the way to adulthood....but so often this is not the case and so the adult is faced with the challenge of learning how to think on their own.  A degree doesn't mean you know how to think.  Acquiring a large amount of wealth doesn't mean you know how to think either.  There is no Pedigree for intelligence.  

People are born with the potential for intelligence.

While its true you have to teach them things to take advantage of that potential, only minor improvements to that increase that potential can be made with diet, parenting, and high quality education. People are not equals. Some are intellectually gifted and some arent. I like to think that we are all mature enough to realise people are not equals.

We all come in different shapes, sizes, and abilities.

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I float right between upper and middle class with only a high school diploma and willpower. 

Doing what?

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I am upper middle working class.  Except at weekends.  

Edit: but I did get a grade A 'O' Level in geology :D 

Edited by Essan

Just now, XenoFish said:

I'm a self employed machinist. 

Well dont mess it up because most working class people arent on middle class wages.

Middle Class is a combined household income (husband + wife) or £40,000 or more a year. Upper class is £86,000 or more a year.

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

Well dont mess it up because most working class people arent on middle class wages.

Middle Class is a combined household income (husband + wife) or £40,000 or more a year. Upper class is £86,000 or more a year.

I've been at this for nearly 21 years. I'm established. 

• Like 1

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

Class isn't determined by income ;)  

I'm a business owner.  By definition middle class.   My income is under £10k a year.   And there are many working and middle class millionaires out there (far more than upper class ones!)

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 5:17 AM, godnodog said:

We can all believe all that we want, at the end if the day we get kicked in the ass by reality.
I believe I am god´s gift to women, they just don´t see it

Is it meant to be god-no-dog or god-on-dog?

2 minutes ago, Essan said:

Class isn't determined by income ;)  

I'm a business owner.  By definition middle class.   My income is under £10k a year.   And there are many working and middle class millionaires out there (far more than upper class ones!)

Its all in managing money, basically it's a numbers game. 

Just now, XenoFish said:

Its all in managing money, basically it's a numbers game. 

Actually,l think these days class is determined by the amount of time spent watching "reality" TV shows and using a mobile phone for anything other than essential phone calls.

Which makes me upper, upper, superior class :D  

• Haha 1

The Queen on a visit of Sainsburys (fast forward to 1.45 minute in) -

Notice her baffled expression at the self service till as if the concept is totally alien to her. She is thinking to herself I dont know about this, where are all the servants? Thats when you know you are upper class - you have minions to do all the work.

Middle Class is when you can afford your own cleaning lady. Upper Class is when you can add a chef, gardener, driver, shopper, someone to wipe your bottom after going to the toilet, and butler to the list lmao.

I think maybe intelligence is measured by one's ability to learn....to absorb and retain knowledge?

"class" can be described and observed in more ways than one. ? I lean more toward the demonstrable measure than the monetary measure.   I know rich people who are A** ****s .  And poor people with a lot of "class".   And vise versa.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Notice her baffled expression at the self service till as if the concept is totally alien to her. She is thinking to herself I dont know about this, where are all the servants? Thats when you know you are upper class - you have minions to do all the work.

Middle Class is when you can afford your own cleaning lady. Upper Class is when you can add a chef, gardener, driver, shopper, someone to wipe your bottom after going to the toilet, and butler to the list lmao.

I rather think that may be as much to do with her age as her status!  We senior citizens do tend to find some of the current technology difficult.  To be honest I just can’t be bothered with a lot of it.  I love my iPad (started using computers in the work environment in 1990) but don’t have a mobile phone.  Don’t have a use for one so why spend the money?  I avoid self service tills like the plague, and so on.

And as someone said earlier in this thread, I think you have to have the inherent capability for intelligence.  50/50 maybe with what you are born with and how you learn to use it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Timothy said:

Is it meant to be or god-on-dog?

god-no-dog

also it has no meaning, Ijust like how it sounds

Edited by godnodog
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

If you are so intelligent, why do you post unintelligent answers?

Look...I am not picking on you.  But the truth you are telling just isn't.  It is actually part of the problem described in  the OPs thread.

The truth is...barring any mental disabilities...we are all equal....at least in America...because we have the Freedom to achieve anything we can think of.  It isn't how much money one's parents have...it is not measured in how much one makes or accumulates.  Intelligence is measured by the ability of an individual to achieve success in whatever undertaking one chooses to succeed in.  Whether it is tying your shoe laces...or accumulation wealth...intelligence can only be measured by what one does with what one knows...not what one knows.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Some people don't want to be millionaires. They just want an enjoyable life. 

Accumulation of wealth has never been a real pursuit of mine.  If it had been...I'd be very wealthy.  I am one of the most successful people I know.  

16 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Notice her baffled expression at the self service till as if the concept is totally alien to her.

Means I must be upper class as well then :D 

On 5/21/2019 at 5:31 AM, Mr Guitar said:

Politicians are a good example of this - most are incompetent and only want to be there for the power and money. They can't exist outside of the political arena. Ever stop and think about why so many politicians have law degrees? They went to school and did well in the 'bubble' academia environment  then find they're not successful in the real world so they escape to so-called public service. Not sure I've ever heard of a successful attorney abandoning a great firm just to run for public office. Interesting to see how many are dis-barred or convicted felons. When they get amongst their peers (where everyone is dishonest), they feed off of and protect each other. Would like to see statistics of how many senators and congressmen manage to become multi millionaires on a <$200K salary in less than a 4 year term. Could it be 'influence peddling? Oh, no.....of course not!!

It is very easy to call politicians bad names, and the popular perception of politicians is that they're corrupt.  It just ain't so.  Historically the most corrupt politicial officials are anybody involved in planning approvals, which is generally Local and State level.  That is because organized crime syndicates have used construction as a means of laundering money for a long time.  Now once you get to the federal level, there are all those campaign contributions that get into millions of dollars, but misappropriating that money is a federal offense, and politicians have gone to jail for using that illegally What happens to campaign funds after elections?.

The main reason that lawyers get involved in politics is that they are the people who spend the most time involved in dealing with the laws that politicians pass.  Unsurprisingly, many lawyers think the laws could be better, and so they get into politics to change them.  Lawyers also come with a good range of people and research skills for managing the level of info that a political appointment throws at them.

You ask about convicted felons in government.  While I don't have time to source all 50 states, the wiki entry isn't exactly short for federal government USA: List of American federal politicians convicted of crimes.  Considering that 535 people sit in Congress, and 4.4% of the total US population have been in jail, the numbers are somewhat low.  I don't know why convicted felons get to stand for public office.  As to disbarred lawyers, there aren't so many, in fact according to the stats, there aren't so many lawyers in Congress anymore Lawyers no longer dominate Congress and that might be part of why the situation is as unstable as it is at the moment.

In terms of influence mongering, that is mainly the lobbyists.  In terms of how they get rich, that is primarily to do with investments.  If you want to point a finger, it should probably be at insider trading, but there are plenty of laws to stop that sort of thing How did congress members get so wealthy?

For the most part, being in politics is a masochistic game.  You run because you want to fix something that is broken.  You get elected because the person elected before you failed to deliver, or got stale in the job.  When in office you swim upstream against a system that doesn't want to change.  Eventually you have to compromise on something else to get what you want, and you just hope that isn't a fresh disaster.  Rarely, you may develop some actual skill for getting things done and continue to rise, but generally, you stagnate and eventually get dumped out of office.  It is metaphorically a bit like salmon trying to mate really.

• Like 1

^^^^^  as for the percentages of convicted felons serving jail time being statistically low  for politicians....as opposed to poor people...

That has more to do with the way our legal system is structured?     $10,000 fine OR 90 days in jail.   Or maybe the high priced lawyer gets the rich guy off with a fine and community service...while the overworked court appointed lawyer gets the poor guy jail time and community service.    The system is structured to give those who can afford it, an advantage.    .

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

Right on lightly!    :lol:

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:07 PM, Eldorado said:

"People of higher social standing believe they are better than their lower-class counterparts, research suggests.

I am stupid, so I need help. When you are as stupid as me you need help from the Origin. And sometimes I get it. I get what it is about, and I get help from the Origin. I try to be human.