Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Upper Classes truly believe they are superior

133 posts in this topic

Essan
5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So the achievement of one's goals, aims, and ambitions that cause people to respect you.

More or less.  Though I appreciate that it does mean that for some, just having loads and loads of money (because that's all they ever want and they don't care how they get it) would make them successful.   Just not in my eyes.

RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lightly said:

RabidMongoose,

Can a poor person be "success" ful?      I'm saying that wealth is not the only measure of "success" or "superiority". Apparently that is beyond the understanding of most people?

Was mother Teresa some sort of inferior being because she had no wealth?

Were she and her "ancestors less evolved"? Was she "less intelligent"?  Did she have "poor behavioral control"? Was she lazy? Did she make "bad life decisions"? 

She was certainly poor, did that make her inferior?   I think she was one of the most truely Superior and successful people ever.

In my opinion the whole universe favours survival of the fittest and survival of the most adaptable (under different environmental conditions). Basically, its down to the pace of change in an environment. With a low pace of change its survival of the fittest but with a high pace of change its survival of the most adaptable. So focusing on society, then can someone be fit or adaptable without it amounting to wealth? Yes, of course. But as capitalism favours the fittest and most adaptable I would expect such people to naturally drift upwards. In my opinion all highly successful people share the following characteristics:

Behavioural Control: It allows them to work with other people as part of a team, it stops them damaging their relationships with other people, it stops them ruining their careers with warning or sackings, and keeps them out of prison. You will notice that at the bottom end of society are people who think all successful people are corrupt and have cheated their way to the top. Its neuroticism to prevent narcissistic injury. They convince themselves its true but when they try it on they ruin their careers or end up in prison. And they never learn either. They just get more and more angry, bitter, and vile, as they get older. In the end they have no or few friends, have spent their lives going from job to job, or/and spent it in and out of prison.

Intelligence: If you owned a business would you want someone who didnt get their high-school qualifications in a management position? Of course not. You want someone bright enough to make good decisions. With all high end professions you want degrees in appropriate subjects too. For instance, would you let some moron who fancies himself as a doctor do an operation on a patient or do you want an actual qualified doctor? Sure there are some bad businesses out there down backstreets that only last 2 minutes before they go bust. But successful companies want HR degrees, IT degrees, Management degrees, Marketing degrees, Law degrees, etc. Getting a degree is not easy although those neurotics like to convince themselves they could have got it if they had the finances. Getting a degree is hard, and they are deliberately made hard by Universities because those students will become the middle and upper classes of tomorrow.

Bad Life Decisions: This partly falls into behavioural control but doors are shut in life when someone has a criminal record. But also some people arent very good at assessing risk or seeing their will be consequences to their actions.

Others: Not all top jobs and careers need intelligence, someone can excel in another dimension like creativity, athletic ability, or beauty. If they can figure out a way of capitalising on it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and insights.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

lightly
3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Mother Teresa was a horrible person, a quick search will tell you that. 

Oh, I didn't know.  I'd only heard how good she was.  If she was a rotten egg, I stand corrected for using her as an example of ,what I consider, a "superior" human being.

i still think my main contention stands?  That a person who devotes much of their life and energy helping others is " superior" in an important way from a professional thief or hit man or any other of a number of what most of us would consider "inferior" people?   ....let's say a hit man gets extremely wealthy...does that make him  superior  to anyone else?  Of course not. I suppose it makes him a successful hit man ...but we're talking about people being superior.

Mainly, it's just the concept of "superiority" that irks me, in general, and material success, being viewed as the only important measure of the value of a human being.   !

historically, did the King's treasury do more good for his subjects, or inflict more hardship?

XenoFish

I think the idea of human superiority is highly overrated.

• Haha 1

RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, lightly said:

Oh, I didn't know.  I'd only heard how good she was.  If she was a rotten egg, I stand corrected for using her as an example of ,what I consider, a "superior" human being.

i still think my main contention stands?  That a person who devotes much of their life and energy helping others is " superior" in an important way from a professional thief or hit man or any other of a number of what most of us would consider "inferior" people?   ....let's say a hit man gets extremely wealthy...does that make him  superior  to anyone else?  Of course not. I suppose it makes him a successful hit man ...but we're talking about people being superior.

Mainly, it's just the concept of "superiority" that irks me, in general, and material success, being viewed as the only important measure of the value of a human being.   !

historically, did the King's treasury do more good for his subjects, or inflict more hardship?

I think a lot of people automatically link materialism to immorality.

I cannot for one moment think that God doesnt want us to enjoy all the material possessions of the world. He didnt create the universe for us to spend our days living a miserable Spartan existence. He wants us to have fun, he wants us to buy and enjoy things, and he wants us to do it all responsibly.

But there are professions which people get involved in not about making money. Aid workers are a good example. They measure success in the amount of good they do not the amount of money that they make. I guess that makes them morally superior?

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

lightly
Posted (edited)

You made me think Mongoose.   I don't necessarily link materialism to Immorality, but money is power, and power can be misused or abused.    

I've always lived on a small income, by choice,  it's allowed me freedom/time  enough to "have fun" (travel/camp) and "buy and enjoy" the few things that are important to us for our own contentment.  As a matter of fact , I've always had some savings and ,believe it or not, have NEVER bought anything on credit (use a credit card but pay it off Every month so it has Never cost me a penny to use)  I built this tiny house with my own hands with money I had saved.

You ask.....are Aid workers "morally superior"?  ...I dunno , who am I to judge?  Too many variables to that question.

All i'm saying is ..and perhaps oddly enough, I can't see Wealth ,necessarily, making anyone superior to anyone else as a human being.   There is more to being a person than how much you have?      

Edited by lightly

RabidMongoose
2 hours ago, lightly said:

You made me think Mongoose.   I don't necessarily link materialism to Immorality, but money is power, and power can be misused or abused.    

I've always lived on a small income, by choice,  it's allowed me freedom/time  enough to "have fun" (travel/camp) and "buy and enjoy" the few things that are important to us for our own contentment.  As a matter of fact , I've always had some savings and ,believe it or not, have NEVER bought anything on credit (use a credit card but pay it off Every month so it has Never cost me a penny to use)  I built this tiny house with my own hands with money I had saved.

You ask.....are Aid workers "morally superior"?  ...I dunno , who am I to judge?  Too many variables to that question.

All i'm saying is ..and perhaps oddly enough, I can't see Wealth ,necessarily, making anyone superior to anyone else as a human being.   There is more to being a person than how much you have?      

In my opinion neither a society or its culture determines what morality is.

Morality needs to be an absolute truth not dependent on national opinion and therefore if it exists it must emanate from God. God created the world for us to enjoy. It is good and moral to enjoy materialism and to enjoy having power over other people. What is immoral is harming others.

LightAngel
Posted (edited)

I don't have time or energy to read through this topic because I'm also working right now.

But the title of this topic made me laugh. 

Because nobody is worth more than anybody else!

If money and snobbery control your life, then you are nothing but a slave to lies and nonsense!

So, don't sell your soul/truth for money!

Instead, you should find out where your passion really is, and then go from there.

Edited by LightAngel
Needed to change a word into another word because the first word wasn't strong enough. lol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1