Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question about perspectives.

danydandan

Simple one.

When I say God, truly what is the first thing that comes into your mind?

I see an entity that programmed the laws of nature, pressed play and just observes.

Do people adhere strictly to the Abramic God, to the various Gods of Greek/Roman/Pagan/Norse/Old Irish/Native American/Hindi/ Asian God/s etcetera.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Simple one.

A domineering and controlling "father figure", basically an abusive parent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Whatever the human perception or idea of god it's limited by our imagination. If a god exists it could be so vast or so omnipotent so as to be completely unrelatable to describe. My closest approximation of a "god" or evidence of one existing is math and physics. They are the underpinning of reality as we know it and set the parameters for our existence. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Simple one.

I see an entity that programmed the laws of nature, pressed play and just observes.

Do people adhere strictly to the Abramic God, to the various Gods of Greek/Roman/Pagan/Norse/Old Irish/Native American/Hindi/ Asian God/s etcetera.

I see the diversity of culture. The Abrahamic God is predominant in our culture just as Brahma is to Hindus, Allah to Muslims, Baiame to Australian Indigenous and Tangaloa is to the Polynesian people. Its the colour of our species, some just take it a bit too seriously. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I see the diversity of culture. The Abrahamic God is predominant in our culture just as Brahma is to Hindus, Allah to Muslims, Baiame to Australian Indigenous and Tangaloa is to the Polynesian people. Its the colour of our species, some just take it a bit too seriously. 

That's that your initial thought when someone says God?

That's interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

That's that your initial thought when someone says God?

That's interesting.

Yep, not quite as detailed in my head everytime of course, but a cultural character nonetheless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Whatever the human perception or idea of god it's limited by our imagination. If a god exists it could be so vast or so omnipotent so as to be completely unrelatable to describe. My closest approximation of a "god" or evidence of one existing is math and physics. They are the underpinning of reality as we know it and set the parameters for our existence. 

The OP wasn't about proving God. 

It's simply, when someone says God, what's the first thought in your head.

But if I'm reading your post correctly you infer our mathematics and scientific research to be God? 

• Like 1

Just now, psyche101 said:

Yep, not quite as detailed in my head everytime of course, but a cultural character nonetheless. 

Similar to me so. Kinda, I often think which one?

• Like 2

Just now, danydandan said:

Similar to me so. Kinda, I often think which one?

Having that automatic distance does still allow appreciation, just from a different perspective. When I travel, which is not very often unfortunately, I find cultural aspects of other places incredibly interesting. I've sat down to drink Kava with native Fijians and done the Haka with Maori people. Religion is just another aspect of those cultures which I find interesting and it tells a lot about a people I think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

I see courage, love and friendliness (Jesus). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

You have a simplified understanding of God.
God himself is above the physical laws. Therefore, on the physical level, there are only conditions that we cannot exceed because of our limitations.
Imagine that someone can overcome the law of gravity or is transferred to other planets, then for him physical laws will not act but will be applied to other people.

Therefore, if the spirit on the physical level exceeds the physical, then it looks like a miracle and magic (walking on water, the resurrection of Lazarus, the healing of patients from childhood, the resurrection of the body, the multiplication of physical matter, etc.) although it is his natural ability.
That is, for the spirit nothing is impossible.Christ himself says "I was before the law."
God does not watch the created universe passively; he acts by exerting pressure from above and working through his cosmic forces and personalities, through angels and avatars. Only God works quietly, without attracting attention, therefore he seems to observe and not interfere.
 Although God has a plan for what the whole evolution should go and everything is done as needed. And the fact that man has become rational after leaving the animal consciousness speaks of the growth of consciousness that is happening and from the rational man goes to the supramental and divine.

Therefore, evolution does not occur only because of the struggle for survival, it is directed from above because if there is no interspecific struggle and harmony comes, evolution will still occur because consciousness develops endlessly because God is infinite and eternal in his activities and work.

• Like 1

God is an idea that each individual creates based on our limited understanding and/or cultural indoctrination. In other words, we made it up. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

God is an idea that each individual creates based our limited understanding and/or cultural indoctrination. In other words, we made it up. 

Indeed. Its interesting how the east leans toward polytheism and the West monotheism I find. Its like a 'Wallace Line' of religion. 

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Indeed. Its interesting how the east leans toward polytheism and the West monotheism I find. Its like a 'Wallace Line' of religion. 

God or gods seem to often either represent elemental forces and/or aspect of the human psyche. Even human ideals. Such as a "divine parental figure". 

• Like 2

Guys please don't degrade this into a discussion about the existence of God. It's not relevant in this topic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Guys please don't degrade this into a discussion about the existence of God. It's not relevant in this topic. 

It's more about a person's idea of God, Dany. That's what your asking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Timothy said:

@danydandan: Annoying.

+1

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Sorry, wasn't my intention. I was more pointing out how interesting it is that religions and cultures have aspects that describe something of the people and how that can say things about how said cultures developed. 

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's more about a person's idea of God, Dany. That's what your asking. 

Exactly, but in a more personal way.

I could ask 500 Catholics to tell me what is the first thing that pops into their head, when the word God is mentioned. We'd probably get 500 different answers often quite similar but different non the less.

But we all have a general understanding of what a Catholic God is, as a whole, I think.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I could ask 500 Catholics to tell me what is the first thing that pops into their head, when the word God is mentioned. We'd probably get 500 different answers often quite similar but different non the less.

But we all have a general understanding of what a Catholic God is, as a whole, I think.

Jesus.

12 minutes ago, danydandan said:

In many ways we put a little of ourselves into the gods we believe. Our wishes, will, and desire. The ideals we hold true. In many cases god is nothing more than a version of the ideal self we could never be. All because we believe it's unattainable. 

If we're not living up to our own ideals, we'll try to live up to another's. 

13 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Jesus.

Why?

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Why?

That's the first thought that came into my head when you asked the question.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

5ce4187c01fc3_imagodeae02.jpg.99a9d09003e1c16de3c6e33c3ec66c5d.jpg

As an agnostic, I can't help you with what God is like for me, but as a Jung fan, I know an image of God when I see one. (Imago deae = someone says God, what comes into your mind?) You could write an essay about why Daenerys appeals so much to both men and women, and about why so many people felt betrayal when she was killed off the other night.

She was not a heroine, she was not a villain, she transcended categories. All in a day's work for a goddess.

What do you want to bet when Martin writes one more book in the series, Jon Snow wakes up from a nightmare in which he killed Daenerys, and ... Inquiring minds want to know:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/20/an-ending/

On a point arising,

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

done the Haka with Maori people

Bet you were good at it, too :)

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1