Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British Steel in compulsory liquidation

Eldorado

49 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

The point is the skills, once you lose these skills it takes generations to bring them back. the British steel industry still makes the finest quality steel anywhere in the world. trouble is the use of it is in selective markets from building domestic war canoes to the finest instruments used in medical science. 

We need to get out of the EU, lower business rates, a relaxation of carbon emission targets for heavy manufacturers, more compensation for high energy prices, and a commitment that British steel is used in major construction projects. tariff EU steel imports. move into the age of UK national self interest. do what's needs to be done, i'd rather  Keep a British worker in a job than a German, Italian, French or Chinese.

I think you are right about the skills.

Why do you think British steelmakers are not competitive with their continental counterparts?   I can see where China might have an advantage with lower wages and government support, but don't EU countries  share similar regulations and social costs?

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

We joined the EU in 1972. 47 years ago. The story of steel in the UK has also been one of a 40-year decline in output and employment. In the early 1970s, the UK industry was producing almost 29m tonnes and employing 325,000 people; by last year, (2016) the figures were 12.5m tonnes and 30,000 people.

Oh yes, our membership of the EU as served us well.

@Setton  its Brexit isn't it, the Brexit that started in 1972. oh, sorry no, i mean our membership of the EU that started in 72/73. lets all give thanks to the EU who brings us jobs and prosperity.

steel_production3.png

steel_workers1.png

Odd then that the company specifically points to Brexit as the cause. Guess you know their finances better than they do. 

Besides, wasn't this about 'taking back control'? Yet we don't step in to save our steel industry. 

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

The point is the skills, once you lose these skills it takes generations to bring them back. the British steel industry still makes the finest quality steel anywhere in the world. trouble is the use of it is in selective markets from building domestic war canoes to the finest instruments used in medical science. 

We need to get out of the EU, lower business rates, a relaxation of carbon emission targets for heavy manufacturers, more compensation for high energy prices, and a commitment that British steel is used in major construction projects. tariff EU steel imports. move into the age of UK national self interest. do what's needs to be done, i'd rather  Keep a British worker in a job than a German, Italian, French or Chinese.

...highly doubtful that Boris or any other brexteer will have protectionist policies post brexit. Tariffs will fall and not just for steel but a multitude of products and services. Britain's future open markets will make British Steel restructuring look less likely. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stevewinn said:

We need the ability to apply short-term trade barriers so when China dumps steel onto the international market it can offer safety to our steel industry until things are back to normal.

16 hours ago, Setton said:

Odd then that the company specifically points to Brexit as the cause. Guess you know their finances better than they do. 

Besides, wasn't this about 'taking back control'? Yet we don't step in to save our steel industry. 

Odd that EU membership is supposedly to create jobs and wealth. yet British steel industry is on a decline, a decline that just so happens to coincide with our membership of the EU. but your to blind to see what's happened. look around you man, i can reel off 20 or more companies that existed in the late 80's early 90's when i was a kid who have all left the UK for the EU's cheap labour, they took our factories who employed British workers by the thousands and what did we get in return? the EU's dross, unskilled migrants who are that unskilled and surplus to requirement at home they couldn't even get a job or earn a salary. excellent trade off, Britain loses a skilled job and we get a toilet cleaner.

Today look at eastern Europe and the cheap labour force. no wonder big business like the EU, money is to be made on the backs of sweat labour, look at my employer opened up in eastern Europe, my equivalent counterpart over there gets paid a month what i get paid in a single week. multiply that by 6,000. good cost saving for the company, bad for the British workers and this is what's happening all over, the EU is fantastic for the companies who answer to share holders, as share holders are the ones who want a return on their investment and will pursue that top line and how much profit they can get back. sentiment doesn't come into it. this isn't none of this protected public sector job mentality.

i've said it before and i'll say it again. the UK helps pave the roads in these Eastern European states. business move out there buy and build on the cheap land, build a factory take away British jobs and then those same goods which where once made in the UK are now made over there and flow back to us along those very same smooth roads we built. British membership of the EU is like watching this Nation building its own funeral pyre

16 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

...highly doubtful that Boris or any other brexteer will have protectionist policies post brexit. Tariffs will fall and not just for steel but a multitude of products and services. Britain's future open markets will make British Steel restructuring look less likely. 

Im a Brexiteer and i'd step in because my attitude is i'd do whatever needs doing in the interest of the UK and British workers, and any PM worthy of the title should be doing the same putting the UK first. and once we've Brexited they'll have no choice but to put the UK first.

6 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Im a Brexiteer and i'd step in because my attitude is i'd do whatever needs doing in the interest of the UK and British workers, and any PM worthy of the title should be doing the same putting the UK first. and once we've Brexited they'll have no choice but to put the UK first.

You might but the whole philosophy of a global Britain outta the EU is the opposite to what you would do. 

13 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

You might but the whole philosophy of a global Britain outta the EU is the opposite to what you would do. 

I disagree, and there is no evidence to suggest your correct in your assumption. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...