Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans on Mars could become a new species

UM-Bot

Well, ok, I suppose that's possible.

So what should we call them... perhaps "Mearthlings"?

• Like 1

If a baby is conceived and born on our Moon, will it be called a "Moonie"?

Tough questions.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Humans on Mars could become a new species

I would go further and say that humans living on Mars must become a new species, or they are doomed.

Evolution is equal to adaption to the environment. Evolve or die.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That of course assumes that there would be no frequent gene flow between the Humans of Earth and the Humans of Mars. So first Earth and Mars would have to be isolated from each for a huge amount of time. And there'd have to be a viable breeding population of humans on Mars as well.

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

Tough questions.

I still want to become a Trappistrian.

• Like 1

A separate species will require genetic isolation I think.  Colonists and visitors can't be rotating back and forth between earth and Mars and interbreeding.

Living in domes with earth atmosphere and growing earth plants to eat is going to slow the process down.  

Changing gravity and distance from the sun  might contribute to change on the other hand.

Why would you develop stronger and denser bones under low gravity?  That doesn't seem to  be necessary and goes against observations from year long stays in the space station. 

Bones would get weaker, maybe immune systems too.  Sure maybe people would be smaller and more nearsighted and a different color (darker?)    That is  a long way from a separate species.

We evolved with earth bacteria and absolutely require the symbiotic partners we have in our digestive tract.  If those go away we would be in trouble.  Natural selection might not do it, genetic engineering might if it is something that people want to happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

a different color (darker?)    That is  a long way from a separate species.

On that topic....when would there even be a situation when a person on Mars would be exposed to unfiltered, Martian sunlight? They'd either be in a building with special reinforced windows (if any) to shield them from the radiation or in a protection suit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

On that topic....when would there even be a situation when a person on Mars would be exposed to unfiltered, Martian sunlight? They'd either be in a building with special reinforced windows (if any) to shield them from the radiation or in a protection suit.

True.

Considering this already happens on Earth, a species adapting to a new environment, it kind of seemed obvious. The same thing would happen if humans started living in space stations/ships or in under water colonies.

They could also end up with a different skin tone to help protect against harmful radiation.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/327914/humans-on-mars-could-become-a-new-species

I would have thought they would have to be protected from this in the first place or they either all die or obviously, the children will be born disformed or may not survive at all.

A human skin tone can not protect them against harmful radiation.

Why would you develop stronger and denser bones under low gravity? That doesn't seem to be necessary and goes against observations from year long stays in the space station. Bones would get weaker,

That was going to be my question too but you beat me to it.

8 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

8 hours ago, pallidin said:

True.

Not true, l wish people would stop going to NASA, and do a little more research, Mars has a strong magnetic field in places on the surface, so if they land in the right area, then protection from the sun, (which is 20% smaller than on earth) would pose no problems.

You don't need a molten, iron spinning core like earth to have a magnetic field, just a hell of a lot of rare earth or mars magnetic deposits in one area. Mars mountains dwarf ours in height and if one has substantial amounts of strong magnetic material then we are set.

I have recently seen raw pebbles with rare earth like properties, so it is possible, (based on recent findings, it has to be).

The rest about mars and what NASA tells us, is a bit like man made global warming, sounds good, until it falls apart.

Or humanity gets the little, golden book version.

B)

Edited by tmcom

It better happen before we go. It would take a different species to live on Mars. We are not designed for a sequestered existence.

13 hours ago, mdbuilder said:

It better happen before we go. It would take a different species to live on Mars. We are not designed for a sequestered existence.

True, we would mutate on Mars, ask Schwarzenegger.

:o

On 5/22/2019 at 4:58 PM, pallidin said:

Tough questions.

Lunatic

• Haha 1

Kid raised on a world with less gravity would probably be not build strong enough to survive well on earth... and without any genetic change. 

I think this is probably only true if those with less advantageous genes are not able to reproduce as much as those with more advantageous genes. However, we humans have pretty advanced healthcare and we care about people with diseases so I think that won't happen, also those with genes less advantageous for living on Mars will spread their genes on to the next generation.