Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog killed for burial with owner, in Virginia

Eldorado

"The unusual death of a woman’s dog in Virginia has sparked outcry and a debate over whether it is ok to kill a healthy pet and bury it with its owner according to their dying wish.

"Emma, a shih tzu mix, was euthanised and cremated in March as per its owner’s will. The dog was put down despite the efforts of animal shelter workers who spent two weeks trying to talk the executor of the woman’s estate out of the plan.

"Emma was reportedly taken to a vet, put down and then taken to a pet cremation centre in Richmond, Virginia, and the ashes given to the executor in an urn for burial."

Fll report at the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/may/23/healthy-pet-put-down-in-virginia-so-it-can-be-buried-with-owner

Video report at MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dog-euthanized-to-be-buried-with-owner/vi-AABL6mr

• Sad 4

Arrest the vets and the executor! 

So if a healthy owner' s dog dies first and the owner asks to be put down so they can be buried with their dog, would the hospitals go through with it? I do not think so! 

This is human selfishnes at its worse. The poor dog could have gone to a loving home and enjoyed the rest of its life.

• Like 6

The poor dog :(

Unfortunately I don't think the executor had any choice but to carry out the deceased's wishes set out in her will.  

The amount of discretion an executor can use when settling an estate will depend heavily on the will itself. However specific the directions in the will, the executor is bound by law to follow them.

https://law.freeadvice.com/estate_planning/probate/will-executor-discretion.htm

The law should be changed to stop this kind of request from being allowed.

It happened in Virginia, where it's not against the law. We found out it's also legal in North and South Carolina.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dog-euthanized-to-be-buried-with-owner/vi-AABL6mr

• Like 5

It's weird the reaction on both sides. I'm part of a message board for horse owners and many of them have will stipulations for euthanizing their horses if they die, simply because they often end up going to slaughter and owners want them to have a peaceful death vs crammed into a truck to Mexico. General consensus elsewhere is the owner is selfish etc. It's a fact thousands of healthy animals are euthanized across the country every day for lack of homes. But an owner stipulates this for their pet after death and people lose their minds. Yes the dog could be rehomed but it could also end up at a shelter through no fault of it's own like nearly every animal there. I'm more outraged at people who are irresponsible pet owners breeding more animals than one owner euthanizing a dog that had a happy and safe life and obviously never knew neglect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why not just make plans with friends/family to take care of your pets in the advent of your death? Would be a lot smarter that way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

One of the ladies that works with me met an elderly man on the moors 18 months ago, he had just bought himself a puppy Springer Spaniel, after several months of bumping into her with her morning pack, he asked if she would take his dog if anything happened to him, naturally she agreed, He made all the arrangements with his family and put it in his will. He was a very fit man for his age but was sadly diagnosed with cancer last month and dies within a week. My colleague now has his dog alongside her two as part of her family. 

He sent a video message to his dog via my colleague, asking him to behave for his new mum, while was on his death bed..... she played it to me and the flood gates opened. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sad.     I hope the doggie bit her when he got there.   :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

It's weird the reaction on both sides. I'm part of a message board for horse owners and many of them have will stipulations for euthanizing their horses if they die, simply because they often end up going to slaughter and owners want them to have a peaceful death vs crammed into a truck to Mexico. General consensus elsewhere is the owner is selfish etc. It's a fact thousands of healthy animals are euthanized across the country every day for lack of homes. But an owner stipulates this for their pet after death and people lose their minds. Yes the dog could be rehomed but it could also end up at a shelter through no fault of it's own like nearly every animal there. I'm more outraged at people who are irresponsible pet owners breeding more animals than one owner euthanizing a dog that had a happy and safe life and obviously never knew neglect. 

Euthanasia is the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma.

Putting the fit and healthy to sleep is not euthanasia.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/euthanasia

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/euthanasia

• Thanks 1

In terms of animals it is. Whether we find it wrong or not. I'd never stipulate for my cats to be put down in the event of my death but for someone else to do it I can't say they shouldn't. Vets are called on to euthanize healthy animals way more than you would like to believe for many reasons, most of them infuriating but most vets will just do it because it's one less animal scared and traumatized at a shelter. Getting angry over one person deciding to do this to one dog sort of is classic ignoring the much larger issue that shelter workers have to do this every day to healthy dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

In terms of animals it is. Whether we find it wrong or not. I'd never stipulate for my cats to be put down in the event of my death but for someone else to do it I can't say they shouldn't. Vets are called on to euthanize healthy animals way more than you would like to believe for many reasons, most of them infuriating but most vets will just do it because it's one less animal scared and traumatized at a shelter. Getting angry over one person deciding to do this to one dog sort of is classic ignoring the much larger issue that shelter workers have to do this every day to healthy dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens. 

No it is not.

Just because you want to use the word euthanasia so that everyone can feel better about killing their pets (one of the family), does not mean that it does.

I don't see this as being cruel in any way,Better than ending up homeless or on the dog merry go round passed from one ****e owner to the next.Also some pet dogs are so attached to their owners they just can't be without them.My grandads spaniel went mad on the day grandad died,ripped the house to pieces and scratched and chewed through a solid wooden door.He was so injured by this he had to be put down.I feel the owner is being responsible in its welfare.Working/hunting dogs may be different if a good working home can be found.If anything happens to me my two pit/am bulldogs will be put down as no one else can get near them and would be too dangerous.My hunting terriers and whippets will be given to friends that work their dogs and should be happy as long as they are working.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Eldorado said:

No it is not.

Just because you want to use the word euthanasia so that everyone can feel better about killing their pets (one of the family), does not mean that it does.

I get you find it distasteful and wrong but it is euthanasia and called that by animal shelter workers and veterinarians. And with both jobs it happens every day. That's the problem I'm seeing with the outrage over one owner stipulating their dog be put down (whatever you call it) because it pales in comparison to how many healthy animals are euthanized every day at vet offices in small numbers and at shelters and animal control by the thousands per day. Public outcry is fine, disagree fine but getting angry this one owner did this vs shelter animals is ridiculous. You are hung up on a word, imagine being the shelter worker who has to do this to countless animals. Shelter worker suicide rates are higher as are veterinarians. Maybe let them call it whatever they want if it helps them deal with a difficult job.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Shelter worker suicide rates are higher as are veterinarians. Maybe let them call it whatever they want if it helps them deal with a difficult job.

I didn't know that but if anyone thinks these people are cruel or uncaring they need to take a back step and look at reality.

• Like 2

And some think paranormal people live in fantasy land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you can find time to arrange the execution of your healthy pet, you can find time to have it re-homed.

Animal lovers? My ass.  Selfish pigs.

Edited by Eldorado

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

If you can find time to arrange the execution of your healthy pet, you can find time to have it re-homed.

Animal lovers? My ass.  Selfish pigs.

Execution?I don't think you realise how hard it is to find a home for adult,let alone older dogs.I mean a good permanent home.Lots of people take them on a whim then discard them.Animal welfare is so much more important than your bull---- fairytale endings.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, openozy said:

To me its a place where idiots reside.

And the pretentious.

I've got two lurchers and my little jackdaw if i go before them the dogs will be living with family and orville will probley do as he does now come and go as he wishes or whoever gets the house will inherit a jackdaw

• Like 1