Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook culls 3 billion "fake accounts"

Eldorado

"Facebook has published its latest "enforcement report", which details how many posts and accounts it took action on between October 2018 and March 2019.

"During that six-month period, Facebook removed more than three billion fake accounts - more than ever before.

"More than seven million "hate speech" posts were removed, also a record high."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48380504

At cNet: https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-took-down-more-than-3-billion-fake-accounts/

• Haha 3

Many of them will be the same people, they get banned and start a new account. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now we need to cull Facebook from the Net. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I do not do facebook, but i can imagine a whole bunch of people going a bit crazy if facebook went off line. I think they should remove it for month and see how people evolve in that short space of time, but they must not tell them it would go back online.

But i do not think it will make much difference in the long run, there will be the initial panic then people will sign up elsewhere.

• Haha 2

My multiple personalities are being culled by Facebook, if it keeps it up, I won't know who I am anymore?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do have a Facebook page but im hardly there never been much of a fan of it really. Dont you hate it when you're out on a resturant with your female friend and she just have to answer on her old classmate (from the 7th grade ) poppycock post. You just want get up and walk away.....

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Impedancer said:

I do have a Facebook page but im hardly there never been much of a fan of it really. Dont you hate it when you're out on a resturant with your female friend and she just have to answer on her old classmate (from the 7th grade ) poppycock post. You just want get up and walk away.....

When I had my chainsaw carving page a group of former classmates from highschool tried to "friend" me. I told them all I didn't like you then and I don't like you now. 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm a VERY sporadic user of that platform and the only positive use I've ever seen in it is finding old friends that have drifted away over the years.  What I wonder about is what did "losing" all those members do to ad pricing?  :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Facebook is the same as anything else and varies by the user and what they use it for. This is just about the alleged Russian brainwashing of innocent users into the false belief they did not like Killary and an advance effort to make sure it cannot happen to the next dem candidate. Trouble is I didn't like Killary before Facebook, Russia had nothing to do with it, and when I can see impeach Trump posts there then it is NOT reducing hate speech. It is simply reducing free speech, which seems to be the wave of the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Facebook is a cancer on society.  It seems benign enough until you realise what it is actually doing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Facebook is the same as anything else and varies by the user and what they use it for. This is just about the alleged Russian brainwashing of innocent users into the false belief they did not like Killary and an advance effort to make sure it cannot happen to the next dem candidate. Trouble is I didn't like Killary before Facebook, Russia had nothing to do with it, and when I can see impeach Trump posts there then it is NOT reducing hate speech. It is simply reducing free speech, which seems to be the wave of the future.

It's true. Expect purging of pro-Trump accounts to ramp up as we close in on the 2020 elections. They want the narrative to be like Highlander: there can only be one.

• Like 2