Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religion versus Fiction

Carlos Allende

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Of course you do, as a certain case-in-point indicates. There's bad and then there's worse. 

Not sure what you mean, or is it you know who?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What are they? We don’t use this term in America? 

Same as a side walk but often more separated from the road way.  (think country towns more than cities )

You have the road, then maybe a drain or a kerb, then the footpath,, then the private property boundaries. In may places they can be over 2 metres  (6 feet 6 inches wide)  and sometimes  much more The one outside our place is about 10 foot wide and we have planted trees and lawn to beautify it 

image.jpeg.04d2ccfef7c1de834eaecbdc92fbd742.jpegimage.jpeg.e8df95020420cfbf053b2e2c6889b5db.jpegImage result for australian foot pathImage result for australian foot pathImage result for australian foot path

Edited by Mr Walker

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Same as a side walk but often more separated from the road way.  (think country towns more than cities )

You have the road, then maybe a drain or a kerb, then the footpath,, then the private property boundaries. In may places they can be over 2 metres  (6 feet 6 inches wide)  and sometimes  much more The one outside our place is about 10 foot wide and we have planted trees and lawn to beautify it 

Oh gotcha, sidewalks.

I thought they were some kind of shoe.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What is a footpath?

LOL Walker already got it for me.

Footpath = sidewalks 

G String = Thongs 

I met an American one time and I said to let's get p***ed gosh that caused some confusion :lol: here it means get drunk, he said there it means look for a fight. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

LOL Walker already hit it got me.

Footpath = sidewalks 

G String = Thongs 

I met an American one time and I said to let's get p***ed gosh that caused some confusion :lol: here it means get drunk, he said there it means look for a fight. 

We say g-string here too.

I haven’t heard p***ed meaning fight here. I think the new word for drunk is faded or lit.

I will have ask my boys what word they use for fight. 

I thought sidewalks were a shoe, lol. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Not sure what you mean, or is it you know who?

Ahem !

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

We say g-string here too.

I haven’t heard p***ed meaning fight here. I think the new word for drunk is faded or lit.

I will have ask my boys what word they use for fight. 

I thought sidewalks were a shoe, lol. 

I don't agree with 100% of these, but most of it is fairly accurate. 

https://www.fionalake.com.au/info/translations/australian-american-words

We tend to shorten words and stick an 'i' on the end of everything too. Like

We are going to grannies for chrissie (Xmas) and then down the creek for afternoon munchies if its not too blowy (windy) we'll have a dip in our cozies. (swimming costume i.e bathers) 

:lol:

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I don't agree with 100% of these, but most of it is fairly accurate. 

https://www.fionalake.com.au/info/translations/australian-american-words

We tend to shorten words and stick an 'i' on the end of everything too. Like

We are going to grannies for chrissie (Xmas) and then down the creek for afternoon munchies if its not too blowy (windy) we'll have a dip in our cozies. (swimming costume i.e bathers) 

Interesting list. Thanks for posting it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

You don't know the word 'sidewalk'? :o

Next you'll be saying you don't know what a 'stoop' is either!

:D

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Lol you can be funny, wonders never cease. 

Thongs are girls underwear here.

What are sidewalks?

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I guess, it must be an East coast thing. I grew up to them being tar or concrete footpaths. My street doesn’t have them, but we had to worry about shoveling the ‘sidewalks’ along with our path to our front doors back on the base, during snow storms. And they would label them, as sidewalks. 

Granted, I would have thought it was known as such through out America, but as someone who lived in other places like Mississippi, and New Jersey, and upstate New York, I have gotten my dose of varying cultural terms even within the states. I was left clueless, working for a department store in MS., when a customer asked for the outfit on the ‘form’. Another customer had to clue me in to it being the manikin. License plates, I heard, were known as tags. 

In Jersey, I had to get use to subs being called hoagies. I still have a hard time, (even though I’m back in Ct. ) calling them that. To me, it sounds kind of ....... dirty. :o 

I guess, with the states being a big country, things will tend to have different terms for it. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

LOL Walker already got it for me.

Footpath = sidewalks 

G String = Thongs 

It always makes me wonder how visiting Brits react to us, when we describe a cut or wounded person as being ‘bloody’. ;)  :devil:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

What that's you? 

You look nothing like your alleged examples. That's some mirror you got there. 

And you're still nowhere near as good looking as I am. Not even close. When you said you looking like a cross between Richard geere and arnie I thought you might be in the same league but your not one of us beautiful people at all. I'm a walking man God amongst men. <_<

I will never disagree on your good looking list. ;)  :blush:  

You charmer you! *whistles* 

8 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Me and Stubbs have him on the UM hot guy list along with X, J, and Piney.

:tu:  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

You don't know the word 'sidewalk'? :o

Next you'll be saying you don't know what a 'stoop' is either!

:D

The King's English is more prevalent East of the Continental Divide. 

• Like 2

The stiff upper lip does come along with it , quite incongruously , I'm most profusely apologetic to add. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Lucas has explained that it was based on Christianity and the opposing forces of good and evil; light and dark.  

IMO Lucas's best work was the book (which he wrote)  and film, "Willow" Unfortunately, he lost the copyright to Willow and was not able to write a direct sequel to it  

Yeah, I think Lucas is a shallow thinker.  Chrisitanity is relatively new to the scene and is based on older stories.  So he might think it is based on christianity.  Even the "virgin birth" was not new when it was presented as part of the christian story.

P.S. I am curious, if he wrote the book the movie Willow was based on, how did he loose the copywrite?  I never thought he was that clever.  I liked that movie as well, did not know it was based on a book.  (or was the book written based on the movie like E.T.?)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Me and Stubbs have him on the UM hot guy list along with X, J, and Piney.

:blink:..........

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

sorry

# me too :) 

I can't take that sort of behaviour/ treatment of others,  lightly  

Ya, I know you can’t take feedback or the idea that you need work in some areas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

In Jersey, I had to get use to subs being called hoagies. I still have a hard time, (even though I’m back in Ct. ) calling them that. To me, it sounds kind of ....... dirty. :o 

And did you also learn that Philly cheese steaks are complete dreck and the meat taste like dogfood? :yes:

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

It is one of those improvable propositions (being subjective and all )

here are a few older men whom i resemble.

if you find them handsome then you should find me handsome unless you have a bias :)  

image.jpeg.5bb0231155ec9d0cce19c0afa91e82f6.jpegimage.jpeg.db8ab484e10d3b5c002b8e678d0149b8.jpegimage.jpeg.cfbdfffc4b362aa9fdffdd5b80cd425e.jpegimage.jpeg.da16144a868a43599fb9d95c6a6fb4e4.jpegimage.jpeg.f81243bd33557b4866e24cf88c879a2f.jpegImage result for handsome older actors with mustaches :) 

Hi Walker

None of them look like each other and where is your stunt double Gabe Kaplan?

jmccr8

• Haha 6

On 8/13/2019 at 11:35 PM, psyche101 said:

What that's you? 

You look nothing like your alleged examples. That's some mirror you got there. 

And you're still nowhere near as good looking as I am. Not even close. When you said you looking like a cross between Richard geere and arnie I thought you might be in the same league but your not one of us beautiful people at all. I'm a walking man God amongst men. <_<

I was told I look like Chevy Chase from 10 years ago. And that I look like Ron Howard after he lost his hair.

I think closer to Ron Howard. But with a more rugged jawline. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Piney said:
On 8/14/2019 at 10:44 AM, Stubbly_Dooright said:

And did you also learn that Philly cheese steaks are complete dreck and the meat taste like dogfood? :yes:

I think, I had one once. :yes:  

Once.

If that answers your question. ;)  :D  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I think, I had one once. :yes:  

The campers at the local campgrounds kept telling our general store owner he should buy Philly chip steak, even though he used good Nebraska steak. He thought "what the Hell" and bought some. The local hangouts all decided to try it with him after I warned them. They all agreed. It tasted like dog food. :lol:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

where is your stunt double Gabe Kaplan?

:lol: LMAO! 

• Haha 2

On 8/14/2019 at 12:23 AM, Mr Walker said:

I resemble those guys And i tried to find ones with a grey hair and a beard, which i have.

It is you making a value judgement.  That is just what i look like  :)  

your Profile Photo, Image may contain: 1 person

I only have a few photos of myself. They come from face book and most cant be copied They  are from when i was in hospital so aren't very flattering but i tried to put them up any way.

This one is also from my face book page but could be copied (the others came via my tablet) I checked and you cant source this to my FB page so i am happy to include it 

I will say that I am better looking with a beard and that, for 45 of the last  50 years I have worn a beard  :) 

Hi Walker

Thanks for putting a fresh face on our conversations, You kind of remind me of a lad I knew back home,:tu:

jmccr8

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/14/2019 at 12:21 AM, Mr Walker said:

whose bernie sanders ?  

just kidding

Ive got all my hair.

My dad looked a lot like Bernie in his sixties and seventies, with the same male pattern baldness, but he was known for his good looks and charm all his life   

You look a lot like Bernie only your hair is curly and covers more of your head. 

The rest are gorgeous older men, IMHO.

40AC2D33-E114-44A3-82FC-EE79C72C9F80.jpeg

D8986364-E7BE-437B-B5F0-E940B7AECA1D.jpeg

24379B4D-57DD-4CD7-83D8-3D0E40E97584.jpeg

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked