Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religion versus Fiction

Carlos Allende

3 hours ago, joc said:

Most personal experiences of that nature aren't trivial.   Actually, those kinds of experiences are what create belief to begin with.  While belief is not relevant to the actual truth...it is very relevant to how we live our individual lives.  If the way we live changes because of our beliefs...then our beliefs are life changing.  That can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how our lives change...for the better or for the worse.  If  your experience changed your life for the better...good for you.

Very well said, it isn’t the interpretation we try to convince ourselves of for its own sake that even matters, but the value gleaned that has made our own life full and meaningful to us. I think some get caught up and carried away trying to create and insist in a reality that isn’t in existence. I think the better quest is to explore on a personal level how it added to one’s life. Truthfully, that is the part that I would find interesting.  Xeno, tome is a poster that has done this and he is so interesting to read, 

Where is the insight, the meaning and how has it helped habit in his own life.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Where is the insight, the meaning and how has it helped him in his own life.

That's pretty much the only thing that matters. If the rap tap tapping allowed the grieving process to move forward, that's what counts. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I've always wondered how to properly pronounce "Iä"?

I'd like to shout it as I heal people in our D&D game.

eeeeee-YAH!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I have no idea why, but I have found posters from organised religions to be more friendly, more open minded and better mannered. Take DieChecker or Hammerclaw and then compare them to posters like Habitat, Papageorge1 or Crooked Spiral. The posters from organised religion allow for both science and their beliefs, and they don't proselytise, they lead by example. And they bring good points to the table, whereas as poster like Hab and CS just preachand deny. No discussion. 

Just my experience anyway. 

Hmm. I would've expected it the other way around, considering it's usually the organized religious folks who try to write their religion into law, tend to spew hateful rhetoric and views towards non-believers and believers of other faiths, and have historically committed more atrocities in the world (the Roman Catholic Church being the prime example) than just the occasional woo woo "spiritual" person. Though I see what you mean there.

8 hours ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

Personally I’ve found it depends on the poster. 

Ex TC here at UM nice Christian woman not preachy. 

A Facebook friend, sends or tags in posts countless God related things.

On mom app forum (but some posters are trolls or Witch with a postere because they can hide behind a screen) there’s all types.

Theres (mom) a Christian mom who hates me because I and others disagree with her hate filled statements and views. - She doesn’t represent all Christians just like one crap person from a belief doesn’t represent all. 

Yeah, I suppose it most likely just depends. 

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the more vitriolic spiritual believers would be more apt to propagate onto discussion forums like this in order to fiercely debate their views. The more polite spiritual believers would likely just practice their spirituality quietly to themselves. Whereas the religious believers who come to a forum like this are more open to other points of view, as opposed to the more toxic religious folks who'd be more apt to remain in their own echo chamber.

Of course, this is all just my own speculation and generalization really. I may be totally wrong. *shrug*

• Like 6

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Would god exist if people were never told? 

A placeholder explanation for any gap in knowledge would exist. Whether that placeholder would be "God" or "aliens" or "fill-in-the-blank" is up in the air.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

You see an alien, you duck down quick.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

That's not really the question at this point though.  The question is why the methodology that indicates Santa isn't real doesn't also indicate gods aren't real.  Santa has magical flying reindeer, knows who's been bad or good, can travel in one night faster than should be possible, and can apparently easily elude detection.  That all requires superior powers or magic that we have no clue about.  Thus, using your reasoning, Santa is also beyond our comprehension and shouldn't be ruled out.

Are you going off your rocker ? LOOKS THAT WAY TO ME ! The "role" of "God" in the human psyche, is to answer the "riddle of existence", which I notice some of the team imagine doesn't exist, but I am quite happy to leave them with that delusion. That "God" in any conception, doesn't answer this riddle, tells you that whatever God may be, it isn't accessible by reason.

Edited by Habitat

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Probably not... Though I imagine someone would invent it, if it had not already existed. Humans seem hard wired to Believe in stuff that is just imagined, and not evidenced.

Like with seeing bigfoot/ghosts/aliens, I think we're primed to believe impossible things as a leftover emergency quick response reaction. You see bigfoot you throw a rock, without thinking. You see an alien, you duck down quick.

Belief in a god, or spirit, would be a natural extension off of that. Religion is just formalizing the beliefs and actions related to that god.

I'm quite sure someone did. Calling upon the god of the hunt so that the tribe might be feed. Praise the sun and moon. I think it really comes down to control. If someone got struck by lightening, the sky god was mad at them. Simple little associations that grew. It pretty much means that god is an idea and religion is made up. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Very well said, it isn’t the interpretation we try to convince ourselves of for its own sake that even matters, but the value gleaned that has made our own life full and meaningful to us. I think some get caught up and carried away trying to create and insist in a reality that isn’t in existence. I think the better quest is to explore on a personal level how it added to one’s life. Truthfully, that is the part that I would find interesting.  Xeno, tome is a poster that has done this and he is so interesting to read, 

Where is the insight, the meaning and how has it helped habit in his own life.

LOL......what mode are you in today, the " I am open minded" one, or the "this, that, and the other simply don't exist" one? You do oscillate between the two, linger longer with the latter, but ought lodge in the former, until you have strong reasons to be persuaded otherwise. The entire "work" of the team, is to try and be persuaded, but they want to settle the matter in the negative, that is the motive. That in itself, is mission impossible, as we know , with propositions that give every indication of being unfalsifiable. The team's answer to that, is a recourse to attacking the credibility of those who have been convinced by direct observation and experience, instead of filing it as an "interesting anecdote". The rush to judgement, is palpable.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Habitat said:

LOL......what mode are you in today, the " I am open minded" one, or the "this, that, and the other simply don't exist" one? You do oscillate between the two, linger longer with the latter, but ought lodge in the former, until you have strong reasons to be persuaded otherwise. The entire "work" of the team, is to try and be persuaded, but they want to settle the matter in the negative, that is the motive. That in itself, is mission impossible, as we know , with propositions that give every indication of being unfalsifiable. The team's answer to that, is a recourse to attacking the credibility of those who have been convinced by direct observation and experience, instead of filing it as an "interesting anecdote". The rush to judgement, is palpable.

why do you keep trying to convince the team?

if you're not trying to convince anyone (i'm sure this is what you'll say)  then what is the point of you typing in here?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The rush to judgement, is palpable.

I think you dodged this the first time I mentioned it, but what again is at stake if we rush to judgment?  What exactly are you so inordinately, disproportionately, trollingly concerned about?  I 'rush to judgment' in your opinion and am shown wrong, so?  Something been lost or harmed?  Using Habitat's psychological rules, your postings and all around unpleasantness clearly show you don't like almost anyone here, so why are you so dismayed that we especially might be wrong about something?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think you dodged this the first time I mentioned it, but what again is at stake if we rush to judgment?  What exactly are you so inordinately, disproportionately, trollingly concerned about?  I 'rush to judgment' in your opinion and am shown wrong, so?  Something been lost or harmed?  Using Habitat's psychological rules, your postings and all around unpleasantness clearly show you don't like almost anyone here, so why are you so dismayed that we especially might be wrong about something?

yep, exactly

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I just happen to know you are wrong, at least in relation to dismissal of an afterlife, if I didn't, I would not be here, but if I was here, I would still chide the arrogance that leads people to pass judgement, where none ought be made. The "seldom unsure, often wrong" types, do not impress.

31 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

why do you keep trying to convince the team?

if you're not trying to convince anyone (i'm sure this is what you'll say)  then what is the point of you typing in here?

I'm trying to convince you jarmy, that rushing to judgement, makes you a dork !

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I just happen to know you are wrong, at least in relation to dismissal of an afterlife, if I didn't, I would not be here, but if I was here, I would still chide the arrogance that leads people to pass judgement, where none ought be made. The "seldom unsure, often wrong" types, do not impress.

You know he's wrong? Ever think that you are wrong? Bet you haven't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

And when gobbledly-gook assertions, and vitriol do not suffice, resort to personal attacks.

Anyone who disagrees with the Almighty Habitat, are to be ridiculed, demeaned, and insulted.

I am aware that I am casting pearls before swine here, but perhaps if you discussed the reasons for your beliefs, and engaged in discussion, you might be better received. You know, instead of playing the beleaguered martyr.

However, I sincerely believe that you thrive on the animosity that you willfully generate. And that you gain some kind of sexual satisfaction from the strife.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

You know he's wrong? Ever think that you are wrong? Bet you haven't.

I would not take 1000/1 being wrong about it. 

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

yeah wonderful. would a slow judgment make me (& the team if you like) see things differently?.. How should one go about 'slowly judging' something- got any pointers, HappyTit?

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

However, I sincerely believe that you thrive on the animosity that you willfully generate. And that you gain some kind of sexual satisfaction from the strife.

Seriously, that is about the dumbest accusation I have had to weather here. But, to revert to topic, it would give me some satisfaction if I could convince one or two that the smart thing to do, is not be a fashion victim, in an era where the fashion is to proudly parade your atheism, but stand aloof from such folly, born as it is from the internal politics of the mind, and not from ANY science, which ironically some see as being allied to atheism. It is not. Science ought only be allied to the truth, nothing else. And the ultimate truth of the "beyond", is not known to science.

• The topic was locked

Thread closed for review.

Folks, please do go review the site rules, found here: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

Also, keep in mind this sections guidelines:

'Spirituality vs Skepticism' board guidelines

Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

The Spirituality vs Skepticism board is primarily aimed at discussing the very nature of spirituality themed topics and as such skeptic vs believer style debates are to be expected, for general discussion on topics pertaining to religion and spirituality please visit the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7