Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Excitedness Effect

stereologist

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

You seem very excited, Stereo? 

Have you read the thread or do you want to continue to embarrass yourself?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

...are you seeing UFO's on your computer screen? 

As always you want to play the role of the clown. Very well, have at  it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stereologist said:

It is well known that reports of events can be all over the place.

We see that all of the time in newspaper accounts of police shootings or mass shootings or traffic accidents or any of a number of subjects.

How reliable are reports? In conflicting situations whose report is more trustable? Are any of the reports to be trusted? Are there items in the reports that are more likely to be true than others?

Okay lets go rational... why aren't these Navy and Air Force pilots NOT claiming to see Russian and Chinese marked jets? I mean wouldn't that be the logical jump from "excitedness"? or how about Dragons or witches on brooms? Why saucer shaped and cylindrical shaped objects. Its odd that popular myth and culture would take a back seat to something that isn't even part of our logical world view. 

Does excitedness only deal with UFO's. Wouldn't popular myth and fear be the defining factor...i think so.

Edited by Captain Risky

6 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Have you read the thread or do you want to continue to embarrass yourself?

Yes i have. Why did you post this here and why in this sub-forum. What are you claiming?

You just can't explain away a modern phenomena through a mental disorder. Cant do it. 

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Okay lets go rational... why aren't these Navy and Air Force pilots claiming to see Russian and Chinese marked jets? I mean wouldn't that be the logical jump from "excitedness"? or how about Dragons or witches on brooms? Why saucer shaped and cylindrical shaped objects. Its odd that popular myth and culture would take a back seat to something that isn't even part of our logical world view. 

Does excitedness only deal with UFO's. Wouldn't popular myth and fear be the defining factor...i think so.

Please read the thread. You'll learn why these are straw man arguments.

These comments make no sense in terms of this thread.

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Yes i have. Why did you post this here and why in this sub-forum. What are you claiming?

You just can't explain away a modern phenomena through a mental disorder. Cant do it. 

I don't believe you. Then again it could simply mean you have a severe reading and comprehension problem.

Fallacy: "a modern phenomena through a mental disorder"

This thread has nothing to do with a mental disorder.

The fallacy makes it clear you have not read the thread.

• Like 1

Just now, stereologist said:

Please read the thread. You'll learn why these are straw man arguments.

These comments make no sense in terms of this thread.

I have read it. Here I'm giving you a chance to clearly state why you posted it here and why its relevant to UFO sightings. 

Go on, here is your chance to state why I'm wrong...

I have read it. Here I'm giving you a chance to clearly state why you posted it here and why its relevant to UFO sightings. 

Go on, here is your chance to state why I'm wrong...

Your posts reveal this is a lie: "I have read it."

Please read the thread and learn for a change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

Your posts reveal this is a lie: "I have read it."

Please read the thread and learn for a change.

This thread should have been shut down. Its just dumb!

This thread should have been shut down. Its just dumb!

It is only dumb to those that lie about having read the thread.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This thread as I've tried to state before the clown of failure tried to spam the thread with stupidity, is based on empirical data about the reliability of eyewitness reports.

The empirical data comes from events that were known and well observed events - the reentry of space junk.

The results show that eyewitnesses are not reliable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The most unreliable witnesses are those that want to give a report. This is why the effect is called the excitedness effect. The more excited someone is to give a report the more likely it is that the report is more imagination than fact.

• Like 2

I appreciate it when the lunatics place laughing emoticons on my posts. It shows that these cackling jokers have nothing of value to say and admit having failed in their task of undermining a valid subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think a good example of the excitedness effect is Kitei of the Phoenix Lights event. She thought the lights were outside of her house. They were 70 miles away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

I think a good example of the excitedness effect is Kitei of the Phoenix Lights event. She thought the lights were outside of her house. They were 70 miles away.

not trying to stir a pot but i also question some witnesses if they are just making up stuff, or in denial, i was thinking about john green a hailed bigfoot researcher, wrote many books , earned a great living off the bigfoot phenomenon, and he knowingly used faked prints in his books he allowed others to use these prints as examples of genuine bigfoot prints, and there's no question they were fakes, one answer was he just had to have something to cling to to as he was that much a true believer, thats fine until you use the ruse to dupe others and make profits,

in that way i question kitei, was she excited and simply wrong or did she know it was bogus but wanted to sell a book, 

i have seen members on here use known fakes to try to prove they point, i dont believe they are excited but rather know they are full of it.

i fully believe the excitedness idea, but i won't use it as a scape goat for bsers....

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

A case in point the 13bats is the book In a Dark Place. The actual author is Ray Garton, not the Warrens. He was hired by the Warrens and was instructed by them to make things up to make it a scary story.

For the last two decades, I’ve been denouncing a book I wrote called In a Dark Place, which was initially published as “the story of a true haunting.”  I’ve been denouncing it because the book and the two “demonologists” who "investigated" the "case," Ed and Lorraine Warren, were frauds.  (I made all of those quotation marks in the air with my fingers.)  I made every effort to make the book entertaining and scary and I encourage people to read it for that, but it's certainly not a "true story."  (It has been reprinted without those claims at my insistence.)  In the process of denouncing the book and the Warrens, I’ve also expressed my feelings about the entire paranormal industry, which are no different.  And yet, people are still appalled to learn that I don’t believe in ghosts because I wrote a ghost story called The Loveliest Dead.  Or that I don’t believe in vampires because I wrote about them in three novels.

http://preposteroustwaddlecock.blogspot.com/

• Like 2

It seems that the Warrens were frauds and not part of the excitedness effect. The effect is about the response of truthful people.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stereologist said:

It seems that the Warrens were frauds and not part of the excitedness effect. The effect is about the response of truthful people.

sure, i never didnt believe anything other than the warrens were full of it, knew so, didnt care just wanted the $$$,

the excitedness effect is like tina and i had in daytona with the car crash,

its not a hard to grasp concept but i can understand why some camps cant accept it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

sure, i never didnt believe anything other than the warrens were full of it, knew so, didnt care just wanted the $$$,

the excitedness effect is like tina and i had in daytona with the car crash,

its not a hard to grasp concept but i can understand why some camps cant accept it.

Exactly, which is why I had to mention events  in which I now question my recollection of events.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Exactly, which is why I had to mention events  in which I now question my recollection of events.

i get it, i was funning with you....

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

The most unreliable witnesses are those that want to give a report. This is why the effect is called the excitedness effect. The more excited someone is to give a report the more likely it is that the report is more imagination than fact.

So, according to Hartmann and yourself who would be a reliable witness?

5 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

So, according to Hartmann and yourself who would be a reliable witness?

The issue is about Hartmann's findings. If you had read the thread as you claimed then you would have the answer.

• Confused 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:46 PM, Alien Origins said:

Matters of national security maybe the only time that would happen. The other question is, how much of this UFO phenomena can be attributed to a national security matter? 

Yes, that is really the point.  For example, the public are informed that Area 51 is Skunkworks, where the USA testbeds its newest experimental aircraft.  That is probably true, but wouldn't that also be a great place to hide a UFO if you were retro-engineering it?  I have also heard of examples of the Airforce covering actual test aircraft with outer shells of a flying saucer, then slinging a tarp over all of it and convoying it in the dead of night.  The idea being that the public get a photo of a possible UFO, but not of the latest experimental super plane that lies underneath it.  On the other hand, at what point did this sort of operation start?  There was a time before the Kennedy assassination when the US public was inclined to trust their government to tell the truth and simply remain silent on matters of national security, but this sort of UFO cover op would have to have been in place as early as 1947, and that doesn't make a lot of sense.  Why would the USAF create a UFO flap? Why would they also try to cover it up?  Was this some sort of counter-intelligence operation to try to hook the Soviet assets in the USA into trying stupid intrusion onto bases where they could be captured away from the public?  I'm sure someone more imaginative can come up with a better alternative reason for this decidedly odd behavior.