Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May to resign on 7 June

Still Waters

Theresa May has bowed to intense pressure from her own party and named 7 June as the day she will step aside as Conservative leader, drawing her turbulent three-year premiership to a close.

Speaking in Downing Street, May said it had been “the honour of my life” to serve as Britain’s second female prime minister. Her voice breaking, she said she would leave “with no ill will, but with enormous and enduring gratitude to have had the opportunity to serve the country I love”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/24/theresa-may-steps-down-resigns-tory-leader-conservative-brexit

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Theresa May to resign on 7 June

Hmm... so there will be a leadership election ?? 

Well, when you've taken on the job of leaving the EU, but you don't really want to, this was always going to be the pay off. No sympathy here. She had one job to do & failed miserably.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Well, when you've taken on the job of leaving the EU, but you don't really want to, this was always going to be the pay off. No sympathy here. She had one job to do & failed miserably.

Not that it's a job anyone could have done well. Not if they want their party to stay electable anyway. 

It was always going to be a thankless job. 

56 minutes ago, Setton said:

Not that it's a job anyone could have done well. Not if they want their party to stay electable anyway. 

It was always going to be a thankless job. 

Well, she could have pleased the majority of people by carrying out the referendum mandate, but she chose to try & please all sides & ended up pleasing no one. In fact, perhaps she should now join the Limp Dumbs, they're renown for sitting on the fence.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

Anyone know what Theresa May was referring to when she talked about the Nazis and helping the children escape eastern Europe by learning to compromise.  Were deals done with the Nazis to help the children escape?  Was she using that as an example because she was willing to compromise and work with the Labour party to get a Brexit deal through?  Was she in that sense comparing Labour with the Nazis and implying they were anti-semitic?  That was the immediate impression I got.

So, we are heading for yet another Tory PM.

Let us not forgot that at the heart of the problem with Theresa May is that Parliament could not agree any form of Brexit yet she gave it the power to block a Hard Brexit. Now a new Tory PM is about to enter office they will find exactly the same problem. A Parliament that will not agree any form of Brexit and has been given the authority to block a Hard Brexit.

The incoming PM is going to fail in exactly the same way as May either leading to them being deposed (as she has been) or a fresh General Election. I`m not sure a General Election will go well for the Conservatives even if a Brexiteer is at the helm, and I`m not sure it would go well for the Labour Party after after all this shenanigans where it is Parliament stopping us agreeing any form of Brexit.

I have never seen a one policy party ever do well in a General Election before, let alone win it, yet I think early next year Farage will succeed in becoming Prime Minster. Maybe at the helm of a coalition with what remains of the Tories.

Edited by RabidMongoose

The conservatory party will be going for a dual leadership, following the success of David "Dave" Cameron and the other one, and an exclusive preview of the new leaders has been released to the press.

Image result for laurel and hardy

Farage, from what I see of him in his appearances over here, seems to be a no-nonsense type.  Hell, I'd vote for him.  Give him a chance, anyway.  At least he isn't so "politic" that he backs down from a bunch of PC, Lockstep Prats...

• Like 3

More:

Conservative Party: New PM to be in post by end of July

A new prime minister will be in Downing Street by the end of July, according to the Conservative Party.

A statement from the party's chairman and the backbench 1922 Committee said nominations for the leadership would close in the week starting 10 June.

MPs will then whittle the candidates down to two by the end of June, before party members vote for their choice ahead of Parliament's summer recess.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48399201

Theresa May: Who will be the next prime minister?

Here are a list of possible contenders - some of whom have already announced their intention to stand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48395611

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Well, she could have pleased the majority of people by carrying out the referendum mandate, but she chose to try & please all sides & ended up pleasing no one. In fact, perhaps she should now join the Limp Dumbs, they're renown for sitting on the fence.

She tried to do exactly that. It's just that people didn't like the reality of what they voted for. 

5 minutes ago, Setton said:

She tried to do exactly that. It's just that people didn't like the reality of what they voted for. 

Nonsense. People didn't like the fact she didn't carry out what she promised. "no deal is better than a bad deal"......remember?

• Like 2

I've never seen a Prime Minister cry before.  I'm sure they all have though.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Nonsense. People didn't like the fact she didn't carry out what she promised. "no deal is better than a bad deal"......remember?

Well, you voted to leave with a deal. Are you happy with the deal we can get? 

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

the Limp Dumbs.

Also, can you please stop torturing our language in this woeful attempt to come up with an insult? 

1 minute ago, Setton said:

Well, you voted to leave with a deal. Are you happy with the deal we can get? 

Also, can you please stop torturing our language in this woeful attempt to come up with an insult? 

No, I voted to leave. full stop, but May & the EUs only offer was leave with a bad deal. Any wonder shes been skewered.

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

Sorry, the name seems fitting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Anyone know what Theresa May was referring to when she talked about the Nazis and helping the children escape eastern Europe by learning to compromise.  Were deals done with the Nazis to help the children escape?  Was she using that as an example because she was willing to compromise and work with the Labour party to get a Brexit deal through?  Was she in that sense comparing Labour with the Nazis and implying they were anti-semitic?  That was the immediate impression I got.

Well, the Iranians used compromise with the nazis when they saved thousands of Jews, giving them fake passports, getting them to Iran and so on. They were " thanked" many times for it and one more thank you is in preperation.

Remainer Theresa May has paid the price for thwarting democratic mandate of the people as witnessed in her parties demise. but its not over yet this Parliament will also pay the price for their role.

But good riddance to the worst PM in History. We could have left the EU on the 12th April but she decided to extend that to the 31st October.

But who replaces her? the runners and riders so far don't inspire.

maybe Steve Baker? But in reality im done with the Tories. Brexit Party now needs to become a force in British politics in the coming years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Predicting the future:

31st October 2019

Boris-Johnson.png

He is to Machiavellian and lacks genuine ability in my opinion.

I dont know who will make it to the final round but if it includes Amber Rudd I will be voting for her. If Jacob Rees-Mogg enters into the contest I will be voting for him.

12 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

He is to Machiavellian and lacks genuine ability in my opinion.

I dont know who will make it to the final round but if it includes Amber Rudd I will be voting for her. If Jacob Rees-Mogg enters into the contest I will be voting for him.

I think Amber Rudd was a remainer and would not be popular enough in the final phase of the leadership challenge.  Jacob Rees-Mogg said he would support Boris Johnson in the leadership contest.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, DieChecker said:

Why did they make her walk like 10 meters out of the house and into the street, to stand, all alone, crying... Couldn't they have placed the podium just outside her door?

Thats the official place to do speeches outside 10 Downing Street.

In all fairness she is the only PM that has blubbered on her way out, but she is female so we can forgive her for that. It must have been quite stressful for her seeing that she has been the most unluckiest PM yet. She didnt really get a chance to make her mark.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Predicting the future:

31st October 2019

Boris-Johnson.png

Does he do his hair that way on purpose?

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

Does he do his hair that way on purpose?

Boris is a very machiavellian character to the point its like the book `The Prince` is his mantra.

He even acts as the scruffy jester to divert attention away from him so people think he isn't a threat. We cannot trust a word that comes out of the guys mouth and he is very slippery. He is the type to say he will give us a Hard Brexit then find a reason to make it fail so it turns into a soft one. I dont trust him, and I dont want him as PM.

He is missing personal integrity.