Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human composting now legal in Washington

Eldorado

"Washington has become the first US state to allow human bodies to be turned into compost, rather than being buried or cremated.

"Governor Jay Inslee signed into law a bill making it legal for licensed facilities to offer "natural organic reduction", which turns a body, mixed with substances such as wood chips and straw, into soil in a span of just several weeks."

Full report at Sky News UK: https://news.sky.com/story/human-composting-as-an-alternative-to-burial-or-cremation-signed-into-law-in-washington-11725866

"Ashes to ashes; dust to dust.
"Or, in Washington State, you could now be compost."

At the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/us/human-composting-washington.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

licensed facilities

I suspect that list of those companies is already made :D Maybe they have equipment bought and tested already.

• Haha 1

It doesn't surprise me in the least.  People who shilt on the streets and get used to stepping over discarded syringes are apt to not care much about other, less bothersome things.

I think it's a great plan, depending what it costs. 2-5k for a simple cremation is total bullstuff.

6 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I think it's a great plan, depending what it costs. 2-5k for a simple cremation is total bullstuff.

Eh. You know. Fore da right cost, we's can do that for pretty cheap. But you didn't hear it from me. Right.

• Haha 2

I think it's a great idea honestly. Dead is dead and might as well make use of the dead. Instead of filling hermetically sealed boxes with bio-goop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far that ashes into a tree planting deal is the best I know of, Compost works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

So far that ashes into a tree planting deal is the best I know of, Compost works.

That's my request. Deep fry me and mix me up with plant soil. Plant a nice fruit bearing tree over me. The earth gave to me, I wish to give back. That's about as close to spiritual I get. Which I honestly think would be a better idea. Could create a "memory forest" where the ashes or composted humans are used to grow trees. Just seems smarter that way.

• Like 2

People get hung up on "respecting the dead", the dead don't care. Honor their memory sure, but the person you loved is gone. No point in paying for a grave site that no one ever visits. I can't even remember the spot where my brother, grandmother, and grandfather are buried. 

• Like 1

I have always said to love em while you got them. Nobody is requested to come to my service after the fact. Bit late, then.

This makes sense to me 

I'd be up for being composted brilliant idea people could go to the garden centre and by little bags of us for their gardens 

• Like 1