Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mankind

LightAngel

On 5/26/2019 at 9:39 AM, Piney said:

Abraham's 3 dysfunctional children are already working on that. :yes:

Stereotyping billions as dysfunctional? Anti-Semitic sentiments? Or just another "dysfunctional" end-of-the-world prediction update?

Supposedly Abraham had 8 children, therefore we need to know, which of the eight were dysfunctional? And what kind of work are the other 5 performing?

25 minutes ago, and then said:

I read the "Cliff's notes"  they fail :w00t:

Heathcliff.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I would say that man, in thinking that because he has more options - he has more control over nature (or himself, for that matter), is in a state of delusion rather than dealing with illusions.

With that said, I'd conclude that man spends far more time making sense out of life as opposed to just living it. 

It is from there that most woes of mankind sprout. 

I can certainly agree with that.  Its a good topic thanks. 

For some reason, delusion and illusion reminds me of the binding of Fenrir.

At last, the gods sent a messenger down to Svartalfheim, the realm of the dwarves. The dwarves, being the most skilled craftspeople in the cosmos, were able to forge a chain whose strength couldn’t be equaled; it was wrought from the sound of a cat’s footsteps, the beard of a woman, the roots of mountains, the breath of a fish, and the spittle of a bird – in other words, things which don’t exist, and against which it’s therefore futile to struggle. Gleipnir (“Open”) was its name.

Almost a Zen koan,  things which do not exist are futile to struggle against such as control or separation from nature.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Heathcliff.jpg

WOW! :lol:

On 5/28/2019 at 5:11 AM, Pettytalk said:

I cannot understand why people keep making mankind an outside adversary to mother Nature. To believe that man is not (collectively) a product of nature is a problem. And the solution to this problem is to place mankind back where we belong, which is in the bosom of our mother, Nature.

And what is this foolish talk about feeling guilty for us to eat other lifeforms? Why, for some humans even cannibalism is natural, and not a violation against mother nature. Just about all irreligious creatures have no qualms about taking other life to sustain their own. It's obviously a selfish physical existence that Mother Nature intended for all living creatures.

“The Key to Survival.”

African proverb?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  

I was just rehearsing in my head my comment on this, which is just about the same as this by Pettytalk.  Humanity seems to get the blame for existing and needing to eat.  Animals don’t worry about it.  People forget we are nothing more physically than animals who happen to be at the top of the food chain (mostly, until we over reach ourselves and present ourselves as prey to sharks, bears and mountain lions etc).  Our self awareness and knowledge about our surroundings (nature) gives us the added responsibility to make sure our animal food sources are treated with respect and compassion.  We diminish ourselves when we don’t.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Our self awareness and knowledge about our surroundings (nature) gives us the added responsibility to make sure our animal food sources are treated with respect and compassion.  We diminish ourselves when we don’t.

Agreed!

I respect the food I eat even if it's just a salad! :)

My husband is a big meat eater, I hardly eat meat myself.

Each to their own.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2019 at 4:11 AM, Tatetopa said:

Do we, or is that another of your  illusions?  Are we just mobile housing and distribution systems driven by the 100 trillion microbial cells that we transport in our gut and various other places?  We have ensured their global habitat and left some in frozen safe deposit on the glacial fields of Antarctica and the top of Mt. Everest, waiting for the thaw.  We have even shot some into space to begin a long slow journey to parts unknown, a little insurance for planetary cessation.   Is it bacteria that truly have the most unrealized potential and the most options?  Beats me.

I still can't remember whether worth is in metric or English units and if you multiply by 17 then add pi to get sacreds or do you add first them multiply?

By Hawking’s rough calculation, he measures the amount of useful information in human genes as 100 million bits, which means a novel might have 2 million bits of information. “So a human is equivalent to 50 Mills & Boon romances. A major national library can contain about 5 million books, or about 10 trillion bits,” he said, concluding, “So the amount of information handed down in books, is a hundred thousand times as much as in DNA.”

https://qz.com/1229362/stephen-hawking-argued-that-humans-evolve-through-books-and-not-just-biology/

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, Pettytalk said:

I cannot understand why people keep making mankind an outside adversary to mother Nature. To believe that man is not (collectively) a product of nature is a problem. And the solution to this problem is to place mankind back where we belong, which is in the bosom of our mother, Nature.

Because Nature isn't always your friend, often it wants you dead.

Man is a product of nature but we also have the power to manipulate nature to our advantage.  If you want to go back to nature, get off the damn computer.

• Like 4

The answer to the human dilemma is obvious.  We need to leave our poor little planet and head for the stars as soon as humanly possible.  Yes, we will need to mine our solar system first, and we will need to create entirely self sufficient spaceships to do it, which is yet another use for recycling technologies.  If we meet other sentient life forms out there, so much the better, lets hope we can be friends and can give each other a sense of perspective.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:36 AM, Pettytalk said:

Stereotyping billions as dysfunctional? Anti-Semitic sentiments? Or just another "dysfunctional" end-of-the-world prediction update?

Supposedly Abraham had 8 children, therefore we need to know, which of the eight were dysfunctional? And what kind of work are the other 5 performing?

Judism-Christianity-Islam.......Get a clue genius! 

I can't stand Israel. Most filthiest country full of the most ignorant people I ever had the pleasure of being kicked out of. So according to the Orange Painted Idiot I guess I am a anti-Semite.  

34 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Once the oil runs dry no one will care at all about the middle east. 

Why were the crusaders in the middle east?  They knew nothing of oil and had no use for it.  That is not why euorpeans and the roman empire are in the middle east.

AND, what does that have to do with the OP?

Edited by Desertrat56

12 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Because Nature isn't always your friend, often it wants you dead.

Man is a product of nature but we also have the power to manipulate nature to our advantage.  If you want to go back to nature, get off the damn computer.

Exactly lol

People always want to romanticize and forget that . 

Our control over nature has made us comfortable enough that we forget 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I can't stand Israel. Most filthiest country full of the most ignorant people I ever had the pleasure of being kicked out of. So according to the Orange Painted Idiot I guess I am a anti-Semite.  

I don't like to get pedantic before I've had my covfefe, but ...

https://phdn.org/antisem/shmuel_almog-what_s_in_a_hyphen-1989.html

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I don't like to get pedantic before I've had my covfefe, but ...

https://phdn.org/antisem/shmuel_almog-what_s_in_a_hyphen-1989.html

I'm a PYM Quaker so it doesn't matter and here's why we are banned.

https://www.philly.com/philly/news/israeli-ban-philly-peace-bds-quaker-20180108.html

• Thanks 3

On 5/26/2019 at 6:30 AM, LightAngel said:

It is the history of humankind that has tried to make things black and white, trying to conjure up order out of chaos...

This is what your entire post does. I recommend a book called "Rhetoric: A User's Guide" by John Ramage, it might help you make your argument a bit stronger. I also think you'd be interested in Joseph Campbell's books, and bet a good layman's explanation of the science behind ecology fascinating. Thanks for such a thought provoking post, I'm looking forward to reading your followups!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

I also think you'd be interested in Joseph Campbell's books

I have the whole 'The Masks of God' set. 

@LightAngel  If you didn't read them you certainly should. :yes:

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 12:30 PM, LightAngel said:

All life is sacred, or no life is sacred. It is only the human race that discusses the rights and the wrongs, the good and the bad, the moral and the immoral - the just an the unjust. 

only?? how do you know that? you've absolutely no idea how a dog/ crow/ dolphin/ octopus (to name a few examples) perceives life around them.... there are many species on this planet that have been around a hell of a lot longer than us!  ;)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 12:00 AM, LightAngel said:

I would say that man, in thinking that because he has more options - he has more control over nature (or himself, for that matter), is in a state of delusion rather than dealing with illusions.

So, you have zero control over yourself? What about the environment you live in? If the temperature in your residence is uncomfortable, can you not adjust the heating/cooling system to make it more pleasant?  Have you no control over your impact on the environment, in the form of your 'footprint' on the planet?

From your posts, it seems that you believe man is the font of all evil in the world, and that we should just 'let go' and let 'nature' take her course, all the while benefitting from the advancements man has made.

For example, this thread you started. Did you post it from a desktop computer? A laptop, or your phone/ipad/tablet?

Did you wake up this morning, due to the crowing of the rooster, or your alarm clock? Did you enjoy instant fresh water in your sink, toilet, and bath? Or did you slog a mile to the well to draw a bucket of water with a hand crank?

Did you open the fridge to get your organic food to have your breakfast? Or did you walk through the forests and fields, gathering what edibles you could?

When you left your home, did you walk to work, or your place of education, or did you hop into/onto your personal vehicle for the trip? Did you take a public conveyance, or hitch up the horses to your wagon?

I'm not trying to be hostile, really, I'm not, I am just trying to point out the hypocrisy of your seemingly "anti human'" attitude. YOU are here because of the countless generations of humans who have come before. Has humanity made mistakes? YES. Will Humanity make more mistakes? YES! 

It is very easy to point the finger and say "this is wrong!". It is a lot harder to point the finger and say "This is wrong, but maybe we can fix it by doing this...". Or, even trying to fix it.

So, where do you stand? In the grandstand, booing, or on the field, doing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

I got it, and How! But you didn't.

5 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I got it, and How! But you didn't.

I did get it and found a really horrible attempt at humor worthy of Adam Sandler and Bob Saget. 

At least you and I agree on one thing. You certainly need a writer. :yes:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

If we meet other sentient life forms out there, so much the better, lets hope we can be friends and can give each other a sense of perspective.

Sadly, I fear that humanity will repeat the mistakes of the past, and try to "educate' other sentient life into following the crappe we will bring with us. 

Can you imagine human missionaries trying to convince a race of arachnids that "Jesus died for your sins"....

Or that the Oompa-Loompas of Omicron Ceti IV were sitting on a motherload of an element we needed....

It is my greatest fear that WE are the Klingons of our universe. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

It is my greatest fear that WE are the Klingons of our universe. :(

I forget the name of the book but it portrayed us as such and other sentients needed us to fight a war for them. 

• Like 3

Just now, Piney said:

I forget the name of the book but it portrayed us as such and other sentients needed us to fight a war for them. 

YES! I read that too, but cannot recall the name or the author.

Apparently all the 'civilized races' forgot how to wage war, and humans were needed to fight the enemy. Something about raw, primitive emotions and telepathy, I think?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I read that book, can't remember the name or the author.  Also there was a short story like that too.

• Like 2