Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sulky ravens share their bad mood with friends

Still Waters

You know how when one of your friends is grumpy, it brings everyone's mood down? Well, it that's not unique to humans. Turns out some of our favourite avian friends are prone to the same malady. A raven in a huff makes other ravens surly, too.

According to new research, when a raven is shown food it dislikes, other ravens nearby are less interested in their own food - even if they can't see the first raven's food. They are responding not to the stimulus, but the first raven's disgust.

Such mood-sharing is called 'emotional contagion', and it's thought that it can be a tool for sharing information, empathy and group bonding.

https://www.sciencealert.com/sulky-ravens-share-their-bad-mood-with-their-friends

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Sulky ravens share their bad mood with friends

Pheromones affect all higher animals.....

Except my stepsister. I can never put her in a bad mood. Even if I tied her to a chair and forced her to watch depressing stuff. 

• Haha 1

I recently heard that Ravens in a rather large area gather together to roost for the night.   Can anyone verify that?

we've grown fond of pairs of Ravens in our travels and camping for months at a time....they seem positively friendly at times...they will often fly over low and give us a squawk.   They are brilliant at using rising air to cruise around hardly flapping their wings at all. 

Non breeding young Ravens will often roost together there's a place in Wales somewhere where they join other corvids  to roost

• Like 1