Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"If you aren't obese you're privileged & evil"

Sheltie

it's all thin people's fault

I have friends and relatives who've struggled with weight problems their entire lives and I strive to be understanding and supportive.  This new thing with "thin privilege", however, stretches the limits of my sympathy.  Modern society offers a lot of temptations and conveniences that make it increasingly difficult to maintain a healthy weight.  Nevertheless, there is no justification for jumping on the political blame game band wagon and blaming one's obesity on people who are not overweight.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• The title was changed to "If you aren't obese you're privileged & evil"

Don't care. I'll out live people who won't take care of themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Sheltie said:

Nevertheless, there is no justification for jumping on the political blame game band wagon and blaming one's obesity on people who are not overweight.  

Never heard this one before. 

Where have you heard this ridiculousness?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Never heard this one before. 

Where have you heard this ridiculousness?

It's actually a thing. Sort of a counter argument to fat shaming. Meaning if I were to suggest that lard az Al drink more water and lay off the triple cheese burgers with chili and bacon, I'm shaming them for being tub of lard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've struggled with obesity at one level or another for most of my life and I never spent a moment blaming anyone else for it.  I was too busy beating MYSELF up for it.

• Like 6

obesity a new form of identity politics

There is a debate over what causes obesity.  Many overweight people now contend that thin people (translation:  anyone not obese) are naturally thin and, therefore, privileged in much the same way as one racial group may be enjoying unfair privileges over another. 

I personally find this hard to swallow in light of the fact that recent studies show the US obesity rate to be about 40% of the adult population with another 30% overweight on top of that.      

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, and then said:

II was too busy beating MYSELF up for it.

Or stuffing your face. :lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, Sheltie said:

obesity a new form of identity politics

There is a debate over what causes obesity.  Many overweight people now contend that thin people (translation:  anyone not obese) are naturally thin and, therefore, privileged in much the same way as one racial group may be enjoying unfair privileges over another. 

I personally find this hard to swallow in light of the fact that recent studies show the US obesity rate to be about 40% of the adult population with another 30% overweight on top of that.      

Laziness. That's what causes it. And a lack of willpower. All you've got to do is eat less calories than you need. I've had two family members have heart attack that could've been prevented if they watched their diets. There is no excuse. I let myself go due to depression, can't blame anyone but me. I'm losing weight. Because I have/want too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Because lets face it. A diet coke is always the solution.:rolleyes:

A diet coke and a family pizza 

• Haha 2

Just now, Impedancer said:

A diet coke and a family pizza 

For one. I work with one of my cousins. He's had two heart attacks. A few years ago he was admitted to the hospital because his blood was basically fat. He was out of work for a two months getting treatment. He ate healthy for about 3 maybe 4 months after that. Then he started right back smoking and eating out. Even now after getting stints put in he's starting to slip. Me, I can't eat anything. It either makes me sick or hurts. I'm freaking hungry.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Sheltie said:

There is a debate over what causes obesity. 

We know what causes it, but we are not talking about people who are obese because of medical.issues, but some do have psychological.issues. i can not see any of those blaming thin people for that.

So it has to be those who are too lazy to cook themselves a healthy meal,  they generally are too lazy to do much else too, like walk, exercise and or work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the battle of the bulge anyways i have been quite big all my life unil i started practising matrial arts. 

Just now, Impedancer said:

It's the battle of the bulge anyways i have been quite big all my life unil i started practising matrial arts. 

You're doing something, which is better than nothing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

For one. I work with one of my cousins. He's had two heart attacks. A few years ago he was admitted to the hospital because his blood was basically fat. He was out of work for a two months getting treatment. He ate healthy for about 3 maybe 4 months after that. Then he started right back smoking and eating out. Even now after getting stints put in he's starting to slip. Me, I can't eat anything. It either makes me sick or hurts. I'm freaking hungry.

It was a joke the pizza thing. Im on the seafood diet i see food and eat :-P

Edited by Impedancer

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

My sister is overweight and she has had a number of health issues such as gall stones and arthritis that are related to her weight.  Growing up, I remember that her relationship to food was different from most people.  She loved food and thought about eating constantly.  She thought of exercise as a form of work.  Personally, I've never understood the big fascination with food and I love going for long walks to clear my head.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Impedancer said:

It was a joke the pizza thing. Im on the seafood diet i see food and eat :-P

One meal a day. Whatever my body will handle. Calories between 600 to 2100 if I'm lucky.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Princess Serenity said:

Don't care. I'll out live people who won't take care of themselves.

I had to fight for my health my entire childhood and took care of myself ever since. I have no sympathy for people born healthy who destroy theirs. 

• Like 4

Just now, Sheltie said:

My sister is overweight and she has had a number of health issues such as gall stones and arthritis that are related to her weight.  Growing up, I remember that her relationship to food was different from most people.  She loved food and thought about eating constantly.  She thought of exercise as a form of work.  Personally, I've never understood the big fascination with food and I love going for long walks to clear my head.    

Eating releases feel good chemicals in the brain. Maybe she got into the habit of it. I do agree that exercise can feel like work, but finding a form of exercise that's enjoyable makes a world of difference. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

finding a form of exercise that's enjoyable makes a world of difference. 

Swords, knives and chainsaws.  :yes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What I find troubling is that we're facing one of the biggest health issues in history yet we're not allowed to even discuss it.  Any mention of the obesity epidemic gets you chastised for fat shaming.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sheltie said:

What I find troubling is that we're facing one of the biggest health issues in history yet we're not allowed to even discuss it.  Any mention of the obesity epidemic gets you chastised for fat shaming.  

Two options, discuss it anyway or quit caring. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

We know what causes it, but we are not talking about people who are obese because of medical.issues, but some do have psychological.issues. i can not see any of those blaming thin people for that.

So it has to be those who are too lazy to cook themselves a healthy meal,  they generally are too lazy to do much else too, like walk, exercise and or work. 

It usually a mixture of them both not much exercise and fast food and as you mentioned psychological issues. If you exercise your brain gets younger and of course work better. 

• Thanks 2