Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"If you aren't obese you're privileged & evil"

Sheltie

4 hours ago, Impedancer said:

I dont like the PC culture i have always been stocky and just have to glance at a chokolate bar to gain 5kg. 

I used a popular prepackaged dieting scheme back in the '80s and I remember a young woman at a motivational meeting who said if she was craving a candy bar she'd tape it to her thigh for an hour before eating it.  Her rationale was that it was going to wind up there anyway :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Who says we can not discuss it?

I someone you know is putting their lives at risk and you care enough about them to discuss it, then those who say you can not are in the wrong.

There is also how it is discussed, if someone is obese because of medical problems, they will not be the ones blaming thin people.

Every supermarket i go in, you have to pass the fruit and veg section before you get to the pizzas, so there is not excuse for not buying healthy food. 

As for one of the biggest health issues, if obese people use the NHS because of their unhealthy eating habits, then tax payers have every right to "discuss" that. 

Does the NHS ration care to obese people openly, yet?  If not, I bet it will soon.  If a person chooses to overeat or eat trash all their life and then is faced with chronic health problems, I'd say it's fair to restrict how much of the resources are used on them.  I'd say the same for smokers and addicts.  Our actions have consequences and we have to accept them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Impedancer said:

Pizza with sawdust ;-)

Do you know what you call salad dressing with no sugar or fat?  Lubrication... :w00t:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, and then said:

Does the NHS ration care to obese people openly, yet?  If not, I bet it will soon.  If a person chooses to overeat or eat trash all their life and then is faced with chronic health problems, I'd say it's fair to restrict how much of the resources are used on them.  I'd say the same for smokers and addicts.  Our actions have consequences and we have to accept them.

what about those who indulge in dangerous sports? 

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

I think that depends on their age and how long the indulge.  Young people do dumb stuff and really don't have much control.  If they're still doing it in their 30s then it's a lifestyle choice and they should bear some responsibility if they get broken.  JMO...

17 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

in all cases? no it is not

Yes it is in the cases because of this: 

Chips, take aways and non healthy diet coupled with lack of exercise to burn it off is the reason in all the cases

We have discounted medical cases. You can not compare the two.

People who live on an unhealthy diet and lack exercise are going to have issues in their health at some point. 

1 minute ago, and then said:

I think that depends on their age and how long the indulge.  Young people do dumb stuff and really don't have much control.  If they're still doing it in their 30s then it's a lifestyle choice and they should bear some responsibility if they get broken.  JMO...

smokers (for example) pay tons of tax== if they have a health problem via their addiction then shouldn't they be first in line for treatment? hmmm, interesting;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

If they are professionals then they will  have private insurance.  You will not see a Formula one racing driver sitting in the waiting room at Kings College Hospital with the other patients for 3-4 hours or lying in a hospital bed next to someone snoring and farting all night.

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Yes it is in the cases because of this: 

Chips, take aways and non healthy diet coupled with lack of exercise to burn it off is the reason in all the cases

We have discounted medical cases. You can not compare the two.

People who live on an unhealthy diet and lack exercise are going to have issues in their health at some point. 

if you see a fat person you immediately assume it's due to eating crap & no exercise i take it?

how little you know-- anyways, you know best- no worries;)

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

You will not see a Formula one racing driver sitting in the waiting room at Kings College Hospital with the other patients for 3-4 hours or lying in a hospital bed next to someone snoring and farting all night.

no you will not.... & your point is?

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

smokers (for example) pay tons of tax== if they have a health problem via their addiction then shouldn't they be first in line for treatment? hmmm, interesting;)

This point has been raised many times. The problem is the tax they pay is not national insurance and does not all go towards the NHS, but maybe all the tax money recieved from the sales of cigarettes should, that has been my argument. 

But then taxes from alcohol and sales of certain foods would also have to go towards the NHS. 

Some of the tax money does go.to them, but even if all the money did go there, it will not be enough. 

How far do we take it? 

Anyone who is not contributing tax or NI should not get treatment? This is another thread i think.:D

10 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

if you see a fat person you immediately assume it's due to eating crap & no exercise i take it?

how little you know-- anyways, you know best- no worries;)

That really is a silly comment you just made there. 

15 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

no you will not.... & your point is?

You asked the question, remember?

31 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

nope=how politically incorrect are you!? do ya research:

Just as un-PC as I wanna be.  At least I'm not privileged & evil.

Sitting kills! ,  We humans are not build to sit still today people in their 20s move as much as people in their 80s.

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

You mean like extreme sports ? I have practised dangerous sports most of my life :-) 

11 hours ago, Princess Serenity said:

Don't care. I'll out live people who won't take care of themselves.

Not necessarily!

You could have some "bad" genes that you didn't know about.

Or maybe a car will hit you (I hope not).

The ignorance here gives me allergies!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheltie said:

Nevertheless, there is no justification for jumping on the political blame game band wagon and blaming one's obesity on people who are not overweight.  

What you are doing here is called psychological projection.

If you care about the happiness and wellbeing of overweight people, then you should help them find their inner peace instead! 

Because when people find their inner peace and happiness, then they will get the weight they are supposed to have.

And the weight, which is healthy for us will differ from one person to another!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

What you are doing here is called psychological projection.

If you care about the happiness and wellbeing of overweight people, then you should help them find their inner peace instead! 

Because when people find their inner peace and happiness, then they will get the weight they are supposed to have.

And the weight, which is healthy for us will differ from one person to another!

You sound like either a feeder or enabler. 

1 hour ago, LightAngel said:

Not necessarily!

You could have some "bad" genes that you didn't know about.

Or maybe a car will hit you (I hope not).

The ignorance here gives me allergies!

You have far too much compassion. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

You have far too much compassion. 

My husband says the same.

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You sound like either a feeder or enabler. 

I'm neither!

I just know what works if you want to help people.

If you put people down, then they won't listen to you.

You have to show people that you actually care about them before giving "Tough Love"

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

I'm neither!

I just know what works if you want to help people.

If you put people down, then they won't listen to you.

You have to show people that you actually care about them before giving "Tough Love"

I've seen someone have a heart attack. I'm not concerned with how happy my cousin is, I'm concerned about helping him stick to his diet. So at times I'm a jerk to him. If I wanted him to be happy, I'd leave him alone. 

24 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

My husband says the same.

He's right. Which is why we have "issues" at times. 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've seen someone have a heart attack. I'm not concerned with how happy my cousin is, I'm concerned about helping him stick to his diet. So at times I'm a jerk to him. If I wanted him to be happy, I'd leave him alone. 

He's right. Which is why we have "issues" at times. 

Hehee my husband wouldn't change anything about me sir. :D

My compassion might go overboard sometimes, but it's in control.

Anyway, I know you want the best for your cousin and it's ok to be a "jerk" if it helps him get better.

My point is this....

Just find out how you can inspire your loved ones in the best way.

Compassion has many faces.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sheltie said:

it's all thin people's fault

I have friends and relatives who've struggled with weight problems their entire lives and I strive to be understanding and supportive.  This new thing with "thin privilege", however, stretches the limits of my sympathy.  Modern society offers a lot of temptations and conveniences that make it increasingly difficult to maintain a healthy weight.  Nevertheless, there is no justification for jumping on the political blame game band wagon and blaming one's obesity on people who are not overweight.  

Fat people, like all people, have egos.

So they dont want to here they are the cause of their problems. To prevent any injuries to their egos they want to here how it is everyone elses fault.