Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"If you aren't obese you're privileged & evil"

Sheltie

3 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

I can see how it could be viewed as "thin privilege" to people who gain weight walking through the bakery, when they see folks who can eat anything they want and never gain an ounce.

Citation please.  I'd like to see the scientific studies that verify there are human beings who have the ability to gain calories by inhaling bakery fumes.  I'd also like to see scientific verification that there are people who eat constantly and never gain weight.   

8 hours ago, Sheltie said:

I'd also like to see scientific verification that there are people who eat constantly and never gain weight.   

I can eat a lot without gaining weight. (I'm also tall, so I guess I need a little more fuel) 

I love cooking and I love eating different kinds of food. 

I eat the vegetables and the fruit and the fish etc. -I also enjoy the chocolate and wine.

I can gain some weight on holidays, but I don't mind because I'm never fanatic about my weight. I actually don't think so much about it. :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

But shaming people is so much easier and more edifying.  How do you stop an addiction like that?

:D

If you are addicted to shaming people, then you have to treat your addiction like any other addiction.

As I said before, you have to fix the underlying reasons for your addiction otherwise you will just replace one addiction with another.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LightAngel said:

:D

If you are addicted to shaming people, then you have to treat your addiction like any other addiction.

As I said before, you have to fix the underlying reasons for your addiction otherwise you will just replace one addiction with another.

What I mean is, when a whole society is addicted to something, cars for example, how is there any hope of rectifying such behavior?  It is normalized, and the non-addicts are pathologised.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

What I mean is, when a whole society is addicted to something, cars for example, how is there any hope of rectifying such behavior?  It is normalized, and the non-addicts are pathologised.

Yes, this exactly the point I've been trying to make all along.  It's estimated that in as little as 5 years states like Mississippi and West Virginia, where the obesity rate is already quite high, could see the obesity rate among adults reach as high as 66%.  We keep talking about fat shaming, but how can obese people complain of this when they're a commanding majority?  The third of the population that is still healthy weight is going to push them around?  :blink:  

I have had weight problems all my life.  When I was doing well and losing weight my biggest obstetrical was friends whose every social activity involved eating out.  I had to dump one friend who would insist on sharing a desert with every dinner.  Smokers can understand, it doesn't help when your trying to quit is someone who insists you have a cigarette with them.  It is not a very friend thing to do.  I kept trying to cultivate a more active crowd, but it is hard to keep up when you use a walker. 

• Like 1

Consider that throughout the history of our species on this planet, processed sugars and all processed foods are a very recent addition to our food chain historically speaking.  It never used to exist.  Bodies adapt over time.  Sugar in fiber (fruit) is processed far more readily than processed sugars. Obesity levels and processed food consumption seem linked. 

5cf42b3a631de_rethinkyourdrink.jpg.87d0f02f0fc28c1c0c15e2a1e805e2ad.jpg

As for processed sugar, it's certainly not just drinks, start searching what's in your processed foods, you will perhaps be as amazed as I was to discover how much sugar is added to 'non-sweet' foods.  It was staggering for me.

Your body decays a bit each day and can only be rebuilt from whatever you choose, or is available for you to choose, to eat.

5cf42b5473f34_moldwonteveneatit.jpg.38d543b24899a64fe4acce0c455fc170.jpg

If mold won't even eat it, should you?

18 hours ago, Sheltie said:

The third of the population that is still healthy weight is going to push them around?  :blink:  

Of course no-one is going to push them around, that is why there are Rascal scooters.

LINK

12 hours ago, Michelle said:

Not too long ago being overweight was considered beautiful and healthy. Rennaissance paintings show it quite often...

http://blog.sermo.com/2015/07/02/history-obesity-renaissance-1910/

They look beautiful!

People are so brainwashed these days, and therefore they can't think a single individual thought!

If you want to be healthy, then eat different kinds of food! (and make sure to be mentally healthy)

You can be beautiful and healthy when you are slim/normal/chubby weight. Because it's more about your lifestyle than your weight!

It's common sense............. that being too skinny or being too fat is unhealthy!

Hmm, being a little chubby is the best choice if you want to live a long and healthy life.

Many women with weight issues it turns out is Polycystic Ovary Disease. It causes a hormonal imbalance that creates way too much estrogen and causes weight gain and infertility. Part of the disease is it causes issues with blood sugar as well. 

The fact is being fat alone doesn't mean you're unhealthy. If you have underlying issues weight can make it worse but thin people still drop dead of heart attacks, have bad hips etc. Health should be monitored by medical professionals but a lot of them have prejudices toward people who weigh more. They ignore other health issues and push the narrative that hey you just eat too much. Some people do and some don't. My Mom had cancer for a long time and her doctors treated her like crap because she was "gaining weight". This was before MRIs, turns out she had a massive tumor and so many "experts" missed it and instead sent her home to lose weight. She finally got to Stanford, had exploratory surgery and died right after. That was over 30 years ago and I have friends now who were treated the same for years before they were tested for PCOS. Usually after treatment there is significant weight loss and the gain had zero to do with diet and everything to do with excessively high estrogen levels.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sheltie said:

Yes, this exactly the point I've been trying to make all along.  It's estimated that in as little as 5 years states like Mississippi and West Virginia, where the obesity rate is already quite high, could see the obesity rate among adults reach as high as 66%.  We keep talking about fat shaming, but how can obese people complain of this when they're a commanding majority?  The third of the population that is still healthy weight is going to push them around?  :blink:  

As I mentioned in another post on this thread, Shaming for any reason as a means of changing behaviour never works, it exacerbates the behaviour issue.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 10:58 AM, Sheltie said:

Citation please.  I'd like to see the scientific studies that verify there are human beings who have the ability to gain calories by inhaling bakery fumes.  I'd also like to see scientific verification that there are people who eat constantly and never gain weight.   

Lol. Did you think I was being literal?

I was only looking at the latest numbers:  approximately 40% of the US adult population is obese, 30% is overweight, and about 1% is underweight or anorexic.  I personally don't think it's a problem if a person is 10 or 20 pounds overweight.  My concern is the growing obese population which could potentially overwhelm the US healthcare system in just a few more years. 

I also don't understand why any debate over the obesity epidemic inevitably gets shifted into a debate over the dangers of being too skinny.  Yes anorexia is a serious problem.  People can die from it but, the fact of the matter is, only about 1% of the US adult population is considered dangerously underweight.

7 minutes ago, Sheltie said:

I was only looking at the latest numbers:  approximately 40% of the US adult population is obese, 30% is overweight, and about 1% is underweight or anorexic.  I personally don't think it's a problem if a person is 10 or 20 pounds overweight.  My concern is the growing obese population which could potentially overwhelm the US healthcare system in just a few more years. 

I also don't understand why any debate over the obesity epidemic inevitably gets shifted into a debate over the dangers of being too skinny.  Yes anorexia is a serious problem.  People can die from it but, the fact of the matter is, only about 1% of the US adult population is considered dangerously underweight.

No one cares if there's money to be made by somebody. Just create a diet craze that people try for a month and quit, rinse and repeat. Some magic fat loss pill, etc. Doctors get to work on all the gastric bypasses, lypo, heart surgery, diabetes treatments and medication. It's an industry. Highly processed foods are cheap as well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sheltie said:

There is a problem about determining in reality when someone is overweight.  When I joined the army we were subjected to a weight chart that was so unrealistic it was actually crazy because only hieght was used to determine  "proper" weight.  I was labeled "obese" though I may have had about 10 pounds more than I needed.  I was not lean but I was muscular AND I am only 5'5" and my shoe size has been size 10 since I was 13.  (big boned)  I was "supposed" to weigh between 110 and 125.  I weight 145.  Farm girl, with big feet.  Luckily I must have been borderline because they did not put me on a diet.  One woman I went through basic training was 5'11" and had a size 11 shoe and weight about 160 lbs.  She was big boned and average, but they put her on a diet because she did not fit on their chart.  We had to sneak food from the mess hall to keep her going.  In the end it wasn't enough and she ended up in the hospital.  So now, who determines what someone else should weigh.  Granted, there are a lot of people who are obviously over weight.  I am now one of those, but I am still healthy.  There is no REAL correlation to health and weight until the numbers are 80 or more pounds over, and a lot of other factors have to be taken into account.  Muscle mass is taken in to account for determining men's weight but not women's. 

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:26 PM, Sheltie said:

it's all thin people's fault

I have friends and relatives who've struggled with weight problems their entire lives and I strive to be understanding and supportive.  This new thing with "thin privilege", however, stretches the limits of my sympathy.  Modern society offers a lot of temptations and conveniences that make it increasingly difficult to maintain a healthy weight.  Nevertheless, there is no justification for jumping on the political blame game band wagon and blaming one's obesity on people who are not overweight.  

I suspect obesity will come to be seen as a hormone imbalance.

What happens is we eat foods that produce an insulin spike not proportionate to our calorie intake. That causes the storage of fat and makes us feel hungry again due to low blood sugar. The cycle repeats and as our livers get fatty the problem gets worse. At about 10% liver fat our hormones are now quite out of balance leading to rapid weight gain.

The cause of the disproportional insulin spikes are MSG (mono sodium glutamate) and artificial sweeteners. The days when we eat MSG along with artificial sweeteners and a significant amount of sugar/carbs leads to our immune system producing Killer T Cells. They think our bodies are producing way too much insulin so they attack and kill off pancreas cells starting the descent into diabetes.

MSG is in noodles, pasta, pizza, microwave meals, Indian and Chinese food, and a lot of savoury food items. its a flavour enhancer that produces a significant insulin response. Its all over fast food chips from McDonalds, KFC, and other takeaway outlets.

How do you know if you have a MSG and artificial sweetener problem? Look where your fat is located. Is it more or less evenly spread out throughout your body? Or mainly around your gut? If most of it is around your gut its almost certain you have a fatty liver from eating this rubbish. The solution is to get off it and cut most of your sugar/carbs until it has gone. Once that liver fat is gone your hormone balance will return to normal.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Thanks 1

I fear there is a perfect storm brewing in the US.  Between the aging of the baby boomers and the obesity epidemic, we will be in serious trouble.  I was born in 1963 which puts me at the tail end of the boomer generation.  Perhaps the only thing people are more reluctant to talk about honestly than their weight is their age.  People today don't like to admit that they're aging just like their parents did. The first of the boomers are now in their 70's in a culture that worships youth just as much as fitness.    

On 6/10/2019 at 10:49 AM, RabidMongoose said:

MSG is in noodles, pasta, pizza, microwave meals, Indian and Chinese food, and a lot of savoury food items. its a flavour enhancer that produces a significant insulin response. Its all over fast food chips from McDonalds, KFC, and other takeaway outlets.

I believe there will be growing pressure to regulate the food industry.  The availability of cheap processed foods will become an increasingly political issue.  

On 6/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, Desertrat56 said:

There is a problem about determining in reality when someone is overweight. 

A lot of it is just common sense.  I agree that some people put too much stock in precise numbers and measurements.