Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sheltie

"If you aren't obese you're privileged & evil"

176 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

XenoFish
6 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

fatty drinks

This right here is what I think is the biggest culprit. There are 170 calories in a single can of Mountain Dew. Some people drink them like they're water. But the sugar is what really get's you. I would almost bet that if someone simply cut out all sugary beverages they'd lose a lot of weight. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
4 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

Pizza with sawdust ;-)

Would you get all the dietary "fiber" you needed?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Would you get all the dietary "fiber" you needed?

and white oak is anti-inflammatory. ^_^

But Black walnut tastes like poop and black oak tastes like pee. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'Walt' E. Kurtz
2 minutes ago, Piney said:

and white oak is anti-inflammatory. ^_^

But Black walnut tastes like poop and black oak tastes like pee. :o

Birch is nice though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, Impedancer said:

Birch is nice though. 

But spruce is like shrapnel. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog
1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

We know what causes it, but we are not talking about people who are obese because of medical.issues, but some do have psychological.issues. i can not see any of those blaming thin people for that.

So it has to be those who are too lazy to cook themselves a healthy meal,  they generally are too lazy to do much else too, like walk, exercise and or work. 

It's hard to be slim if you eat more calories than that you use... yeah some people have slow metabolism, but still, they just need to eat less... Water retention can be a problem too but it's not fat accumulation...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma

who sets the yardstick? having plenty of fat kept us alive thousands of years ago= humans are not supposed to be 'slim'

edit to add:

depending on what part of the world you're in of course

Edited by Dejarma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

having plenty of fat kept us alive thousands of years ago= humans are not supposed to be 'slim'

Depends on how you look at it. Gaining weight to survive a potential famine or harsh winter is different that gulping down McDonalds for 3 meals a day and being lazy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Depends on how you look at it. Gaining weight to survive a potential famine or harsh winter is different that gulping down McDonalds for 3 meals a day and being lazy.

i would suggest it's innate in those whos ancestors are from cold climates= in the genes if ya like? who knows

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

i would suggest it's innate in those whos ancestors are from cold climates= in the genes if ya like? who knows

It is genetic. Pretty much all of us have that potential. However as it currently stands most of us are not in a feast or famine state. Though there are diets that work like that. 

Too much feast, not enough fasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

It is genetic. Pretty much all of us have that potential.

i dissagree= i'm staying with my theory that those born & bred in cold climates...

therefore am i suggesting those whose ancestors were born & bred in a hot climate have no excuse?

ooow dodgy;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Jim

It's not as simple as people make it out to be.  I'm larger than most people.  Always have been.  Even in grade school I was always one of the 2 or 3 biggest kids in class.  But I've always been active.  Used to love to go hiking, usually walked on my lunch hour.  Due to an accident many years ago that's getting worse with age I can no longer walk for pleasure, or without pain, for that matter.  So I lift weights 3 times a week.  30 reps each of about 8 different exercises.  I do all my own cooking except when I'm out running errands and need lunch.  Other than a pill for high blood pressure and a thyroid pill for Grave's disease I take no other medication and my health is generally good.  The last time my doctor examined me he said my heart sounded "wonderful".  But I'm still growing.  I don't sit around eating bon-bons all day and I avoid sugar as much as possible.  Some of this surely has to be genetic because on my dad's side of the family most members start growing larger when they turn 55.  It's like "happy birthday.  I'll take your knees and give you 100 lbs in trade."  It would never occur to me to blame thin people or anyone else for that matter.  Fate, maybe, but not other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog
26 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

who sets the yardstick? having plenty of fat kept us alive thousands of years ago= humans are not supposed to be 'slim'

edit to add:

depending on what part of the world you're in of course

Well, in these times, we were living 40 years old only...not sure if you want that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma

discussions like this can go on forever= it is what it is & that's it IMO!

I've a few friends that eat & drink all the crap yet they're as skinny as a rake== it is what it is...

How's this for a fact:

72% of those diagnosed with lung cancer are non-smokers... 

So if you're a smoker & diagnosed with lung cancer- how can anyone be sure it's smoking that's caused it!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
5 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Well, in these times, we were living 40 years old only...not sure if you want that ?

yeah true

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

i would suggest it's innate in those whos ancestors are from cold climates= in the genes if ya like? who knows

There is a difference between people like the inuits, who do not blame slim people for their storing of essentials fats, to those who are obese because of the type of unhealthy foods they eat and lack of exercise.

Heart dicease is rare among the inuits because of their diet, however, strokes are not.

Inuits are very active people, no comparison really to those who live off processed food and do little exercise because of their weight and laziness. Popping round to the chippy is not the same as going out hunting for your food.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

How's this for a fact:

72% of those diagnosed with lung cancer are non-smokers... 

So if you're a smoker & diagnosed with lung cancer- how can anyone be sure it's smoking that's caused it!?

The FACT is, there are different forms of lung cancer and they are not all smoking related. 

Quote

The risk factors for lung cancer are explained below. Having any of these risk factors doesn't mean that you will definitely get cancer.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/lung-cancer/risks-causes

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
21 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

There is a difference between people like the inuits

inuits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

The FACT is, there are different forms of lung cancer and they are not all smoking related.

yeah of course.. & i was expecting a reply like this which sets up my main point:

food intake/ what one eats is not necessarily the reason for obesity in many cases

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

inuits?

Yes, we do not have to go back through history, inuits exist today so we can use them as the example of people living in cold climates.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
 
 
1
Just now, freetoroam said:

Yes, we do not have to go back through history, inuits exist today so we can use them as the example of people living in cold climates.

 

what are inuits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Jim
6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what are inuits?

Eskimos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
3 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Eskimos

nope=how politically incorrect are you!? do ya research:

 

 
 
Edited by Dejarma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
9 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yeah of course.. & i was expecting a reply like this which sets up my main point:

food intake/ what one eats is not necessarily the reason for obesity in many cases

Chips, take aways and non healthy diet coupled with lack of exercise to burn it off is the reason in all the cases as to why an obese person living on that diet is - obese. 

We have already mentioned the medical side, if we go back to the original topic, 

4 hours ago, Sheltie said:

blaming one's obesity on people who are not overweight.  

People who are obese because of medical reasons are very unlikely to say that.

BUT

Going back to your cancer part, someone who gets lung cancer through passive smoking  can blame the smokers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Chips, take aways and non healthy diet coupled with lack of exercise to burn it off is the reason in all the cases

in all cases? no it is not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.