Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"If you aren't obese you're privileged & evil"

Sheltie

13 hours ago, XenoFish said:

This right here is what I think is the biggest culprit. There are 170 calories in a single can of Mountain Dew. Some people drink them like they're water. But the sugar is what really get's you. I would almost bet that if someone simply cut out all sugary (beverages) FOODS they'd lose a lot of weight. 

Sorry I don’t know how to put a line through words in a quote, best I could do. Bolded is my added word.

I also believe sugar is the main culprit.  Born seriously skinny and staying that way until my mid 40s, I have never been overweight, let alone obese, but the pounds did start to creep on.  I had been on a low fat diet for almost two decades since my father died aged 48 of heart disease.  I had also inherited familial hypercholesterolaemia so was on statins.  Then by the time I was about 60 my doc pointed out I was getting close to being pre diabetic.  Scared the hell out of me.  Went home, did a lot of reading up on current thinking about diet and discovered just how much sugar is added to low fat/fat free foods, and that fat wasn't being seen as the big no-no in the way it once was.  Changed my diet.  Stopped worrying about fat content so much and only really took notice of the sugar content.  Stopped drinking juices, ate the fruit whole instead.  In fact everything I could to cut my sugar consumption down as much as possible, by substitution of food stuffs.  I never once felt deprived.  Before a year was out I had lost 14 pounds and I wasn’t trying to lose weight, just to get my blood glucose down.  Another 7 pounds came off over the next year or so and now my weight has levelled out at what I assume is best for me.

Also just want to say gall stones etc aren’t just the bane of the obese.  My gallbladder had to come out a few years ago, but may have been because of my hypercholesterolaemia (this is where you are born with a liver that over produces or doesn’t process cholesterol well enough.  Diet changes have little or no effect on reducing cholesterol in the blood).

• Like 2

My wife has medium obesity issues whereas I do not.

What I observed is that she eats WAY more than I do, and for absolutely no actual nutritional necessity.

For her, when she becomes even slightly nervous or agitated, she eats.

She does no drugs, does not smoke or drink.

I think for her it's some kind of "comfort" impulse that my own particular psychology doesn't do that for whatever reason... I just yell at people when I get nervous...  :lol:

No blame, we're all human, but I can clearly see this in her.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

My gallbladder had to come out a few years ago

:lol:

Not laughing at you. I went to see my doctor a few weeks ago. He got me an appointment was a Gastroenterologist. I'm potentially looking at either Crohn's, IBS, Diverticulitus, or a possibly shot gallbladder. I'll know more in August. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

People only burn fat when their insulin levels are low.

If people spend most of their day without sugar/carb lows they dont burn any fat. Simple. Cut the sugar/carbs out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

People only burn fat when their insulin levels are low.

If people spend most of their day without sugar/carb lows they dont burn any fat. Simple. Cut the sugar/carbs out.

This is true, dear friend, but doesn't work for those whom have a psyche-impulse to eat for "comfort"

And I'm not talking chocolate bars here... she does not eat that type junk...  our kitchen and frig looks like a "health food" store.

She just seriously OVER-EATS normally healthy foods like you said... but very excessively. She refuses to see this.

Yet she defends her obvious over-eating. "It's health food", so I must eat more!

I get upset because it's absurd.

Edited by pallidin

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

https://2mealday.com/article/2-meal-day-change-life-year/

Skip breakfast, no snacks, no calorie beverages (with the exception of a dinner one if you so choose), eat lunch and dinner only. Adding an apple to a veggie smoothie will give you a flavor beverage and nutrients.

Skipping breakfast is a major known mistake in ALL solid medical literature regarding both general health and weight control.

Skipping breakfast often causes lunch, snack and dinner "binging", not to mention a disruption of insulin dynamics.

Get your facts straight. 

13 minutes ago, pallidin said:

This is true, dear friend, but doesn't work for those whom have a psyche-impulse to eat for "comfort"

And I'm not talking chocolate bars here... she does not eat that type junk...  our kitchen and frig looks like a "health food" store.

She just seriously OVER-EATS normally healthy foods like you said... but very excessively. She refuses to see this.

Yet she defends her obvious over-eating. "It's health food", so I must eat more!

I get upset because it's absurd.

If you look at most diet meals and health foods they switch fat for sugar/carbs.

That not only stops weight loss but anymore than 2g of sugar/carbs in the blood stream and the rest gets stored as fat. Most fruits are high in sugar so they are just as bad for weight gain and preventing weight loss as full sugar sodas.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

If you look at most diet meals and health foods they switch fat for sugar/carbs.

That not only stops weight loss but anymore than 2g of sugar/carbs in the blood stream and the rest gets stored as fat. Most fruits are high in sugar so they are just as bad for weight gain and preventing weight loss as full sugar sodas.

And you know... healthy, tasty and affordable dietary adherence seems especially disregarded in some developed countries, especially in the U.S.

I think it has something to do with, not just with genetics, but also with the general response to "stress" and/or a desire to feel emotionally "satiated"

"I am eating food, thus my problems surely are LESS"

Not disimilar to a "shopaholic"

Edited by pallidin

Hey, let's take a small break...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Skipping breakfast is a major known mistake in ALL solid medical literature regarding both general health and weight control.

Skipping breakfast often causes lunch, snack and dinner "binging", not to mention a disruption of insulin dynamics.

Get your facts straight. 

Support your claim. Breakfast is any meal that break a fast. So lunch would technically be breakfast. 

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181126-is-breakfast-good-for-your-health

• Sad 1

You also have to consider that those who do tend to eat breakfast are mostly likely consuming something fattening or loaded with sugar. By eating two meals a day, a person lowers their calorie intake, puts their body in a short fasted state which burns fat. And apparently dinner is the most important meal of the day. 

Just now, XenoFish said:

Support your claim. Breakfast is any meal that break a fast. So lunch would technically be breakfast. 

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181126-is-breakfast-good-for-your-health

Ummm.... ok.....

Look, "breakfast" is traditionally considered the 8+hour "break" of eating after dinner whilst asleep.

Dang, do I have to spell-out common-sense traditional definitions??????

Wow...

Xeno, you're back on my ignore for being consistently absurd.

Just now, pallidin said:

Ummm.... ok.....

Look, "breakfast" is traditionally considered the 8+hour "break" of eating after dinner whilst asleep.

Dang, do I have to spell-out common-sense traditional definitions??????

Wow...

You're not support your claim. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322194.php

In the context of this thread. Breakfast in designated as the AM meal, Lunch is mid day, and dinner PM. Clarification works wonders.

If someone chooses to each Brunch and Dinner, and that works for them, great. If they have a Breakfast and Dinner only, so be it. The point is that lowering calorie intake isn't that difficult. It require constant effort to form the habit of meal time. Cutting out snacks, sugar, and calorie beverages will cause weight lose. However studies have show that fasting works. 

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Xeno, you're back on my ignore for being consistently absurd.

You should've left me there.

I guess that I am pure evil then, since I've never weighed more than 140 pounds.

Not too sure about the 'privileged' part...

41 minutes ago, pallidin said:

And you know... healthy, tasty and affordable dietary adherence seems especially disregarded in some developed countries, especially in the U.S.

I think it has something to do with, not just with genetics, but also with the general response to "stress" and/or a desire to feel emotionally "satiated"

"I am eating food, thus my problems surely are LESS"

Not disimilar to a "shopaholic"

When someone eats too much sugar/carbs the first stage is little visible weight gain, but their livers get fat. Once that liver hits 10% to 15% fat then weight gain kicks in because it can no longer produce the correct balance of hormones. That imbalance leads to an over production of insulin relative to the amount of sugar in the blood system and results in someone frequently being hungry. The end result is them becoming overweight and then obese.

Weight gain is hard to start with, until a person liver is drowning in fat, then its hard not to put on weight because the pancreas always over produces insulin relative to the amount of glycogen in the blood. The fat liver is easily reversible, it means cutting out the sugar/carbs and letting it burn off that liver fat.

• Like 1

To add to this, the entire professional medical community cites breakfast as "the most important meal", whereas dinner "can" be the most harmful with regards to caloric retention whilst asleep.

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

To add to this, the entire professional medical community cites breakfast as "the most important meal", whereas dinner "can" be the most harmful with regards to caloric retention whilst asleep.

If we go back to the 1980s then our food had less nutritional value and less sugar/carbs in it.

Better quality food in terms of vitamins and minerals, along with higher levels of sugar/carbs, have led to weight gain. We have not evolved for the rich diets we are eating and therefore cannot burn off the calories.

• Like 1

Indeed, Rabid, and our society in some parts of the World is increasingly sedentary... not burning-off those introduced calories.

I, for one, need to exercise more... even just a little more... notwithstanding the dietary concerns you properly pointed-out.

If I recall correctly, "caloric restriction in the diet of mice" was repeatedly shown to increase general mice longevity, in mass studies.

As I gathered, the studies suggested that a high caloric environment within a mammal increases the "aggressiveness" of "already-present" disease states... due to the "energy" of allowing those disease states to progress.

Seems rational to me, I guess.

3 hours ago, pallidin said:

My wife has medium obesity issues whereas I do not.

What I observed is that she eats WAY more than I do, and for absolutely no actual nutritional necessity.

For her, when she becomes even slightly nervous or agitated, she eats.

She does no drugs, does not smoke or drink.

I think for her it's some kind of "comfort" impulse that my own particular psychology doesn't do that for whatever reason... I just yell at people when I get nervous...  :lol:

No blame, we're all human, but I can clearly see this in her.

Isn't it possible that we all have different appetites, just as we have different talents and preferences?  Surely there are things you like, thought patterns you repeat, habits you're unaware of.  Try doing without.  Try not thinking of it.  Remove all the usual space fillers from your speech (ya know?).  My point is that all of these things, and many more, make us who and what we are.  Some we choose, most we don't.  Once they are part of us, which is usually established at a young age, they are very hard to be objective about and even harder to change.  Beyond a certain range, weight is who we are, just as is our height, hair color, physique, shoe size, etc.  Plenty of skinny people try to gain weight with as much success as those who try to lose it, except that they don't get shamed for failing.  I see people who are so fat that it seems impossible that they got there just by eating.  I see others who eat for two and never gain an ounce.  We have some control over our bodies and physical appearance but not as much as most people would like.  The 98 pound weakling has as much chance of reaching an ideal weight as someone who weighs 300 pounds.  

13 hours ago, pallidin said:

Hey, let's take a small break...

:tsu:

• Thanks 1