Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

John Cleese and Dr Jim Tucker on reincarnation

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to John Cleese and Dr Jim Tucker on reincarnation

I'd heard about that Marty Martin case before. Certainly one of the better reincarnation stories out there. 

I remember the criticisms of Dr. Jim Tucker's predecessor, Dr. Ian Stevenson, where cases of detailed childhood reincarnation memories are were so primarily from places with a pre-existing belief in reincarnation (the eastern world). Well, now suddenly there is a plethora of western cases where before everything got put down to childhood imagination. 'Imagination' can't know verifiable details in any western understanding of 'imagination'.

• Like 2

This certainly challenges the presumption, that consciousness derives from brain chemistry.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I had read about the case that was described in the video and found it interesting.  When my middle grandson was 3 he asked me "Do you remember when I was big and you were little?"  I told him I remember some things and asked what he remembered, but he didn't answer, just seemed to be deep in thought. 

When I was a teenager I took care of my cousins from the time they were 6 weeks old until they were 5 while my aunt worked.  When they were three there were I often spent the night because my aunt had to leave for work very early.  One of them would tell me things when she woke up, the first time it was "Last night I was a pirate on a ship.  I was a very bad man and another ship shot cannons at my ship and it sank and I died."   Another time she said, "Last night the house burned down and my mamma and sister and I burned up in the house.  But it's ok now because I have a new mamma."  I never knew what to say to her about those things and she never seemed to remember them after she told me.  She had a bit of problem with language and for her "last night" meant sometime in the past.  When she was remembering something that happened days before she always said "Last night we ..." or what ever she was remembering.   None of the stories she told me had enough detail to be verifiable but it did lead me to start reading about reincarnation as I had had some memories that stuck with me, that did not happen in this life.  I was only 15 at the time.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 5

When my youngest son was around 4 years old we were at my parents house for a Sunday dinner and he announced that his name was not Dawson it was LaShawn. He also said that when he died this time he didnt want to be buried. We didn't ask too many questions about this but it did get the wheels turning for me. He carried on with the request to be called LaShawn for several weeks then it died down, and he was always adament about being buried, like it had been traumatic for LaShawn at some point.  This is something the family has never forgotten, including my son. In retrospect, it would have been cool to see just what else he could "remember" about LaShawn. Because my family likes to joke around, every now and again we do call him LaShawn.

• Like 5

I find this subject interesting. There have been some eyebrow-raising cases. I knew one guy who taught at a university -- a completely sceptical and scholarly elderly gentleman, probably one of the most sceptical and sound-minded people I've ever known -- who'd once commented that a few of these cases are pretty interesting and warrant the research they get. That in itself doesn't mean much, but admittedly there are a few interesting stories out there. I wouldn't say I believe in it personally. Coincidences happen and stories snowball. If, however, there is something to this, it makes me wonder about the nature of consciousness.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

This certainly challenges the presumption, that consciousness derives from brain chemistry.

We all hope that consciousness don't derive only from the brain chemistry... and I would put all the living beings in the same basket. 

• Like 1

Reincarnation is the way we come and go into this physical world; it's one of the unseen realities of this physical life. And there is no doubt about it in anyone's mind who just happened not too drink too much water of forgetfulness, before reincarnating. I know I have been here before, and more than once, as we take on many different roles in the innumerable lives we live through myriads of ages. We have all been paupers and kings, and everything in-between.

This would be of interest in another thread on this forum, where it is asked if there is an afterlife, and if we believe it.

There is a song that I believe the authors of the lyrics had to be souls who must have been judicious drinkers, at some point in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXLKgX0MgU

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

We all hope that consciousness don't derive only from the brain chemistry... and I would put all the living beings in the same basket. 

To the best of my interpretation of all sciences, reality is holographic. And holograms are projections, not "real stuff". So our reality is fake, and our minds are the only things that resembles something real.

My best guess is that our minds are located on the "random access memory" of some awesome computer somewhere. When/if people come back, it must be because someone "out there" made it happen.

I know it sounds far out, but it is my conclusion, when you add reincarnation to the established facts.

Obviously I could be wrong.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

To the best of my interpretation of all sciences, reality is holographic. And holograms are projections, not "real stuff". So our reality is fake, and our minds are the only things that resembles something real.

My best guess is that our minds are located on the "random access memory" of some awesome computer somewhere. When/if people come back, it must be because someone "out there" made it happen.

I know it sounds far out, but it is my conclusion, when you add reincarnation to the established facts.

Obviously I could be wrong.

Not so far out.  I posted a link in another thread that was about a book that an MIT engineer wrote.  The Simulation Hypothesis by Riz Virt. 

• Like 3

Apparently by the few posts on this thread, to make us aware of an ongoing scientific oriented research and study, there is not much interest in reincarnation. I had assumed that most of the scientific atheists would have found it interesting. And I mean those that claim to be atheists, due to what they perceive as lack of scientific evidence for there being an afterlife, where an afterlife means the continuation, in some form or shape, of our personal self-identity.  A missed opportunity for some good discussions, it seems to me.  

6 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

A missed opportunity for some good discussions, it seems to me.  

I love good constructive conversations, and I love discussing this topic, but I usually don't discuss it online.

This forum is called unexplained mysteries I know, but I'm still careful. 

My husband is a scientist and we can talk about topics like this for hours.

We both believe in some kind of afterlife.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

love good constructive conversations, and I love discussing this topic, but I usually don't discuss it online.

It's wise not to share our intimate feelings or experiences online for these matters. However, I feel that using generalities, and public information that's out there already, makes it ok to discuss it on these forums. it can be amusing to exchange ideas, as many here are entertaining with their humor, as well as their knowledge. And altnough it seems that there are some heated personal exchanges, I believe it's all done for show and fun.

Dr. Tucker is a serious academic who is advancing the scientific work began by Dr. Stevenson, who was a scientfiic-minded pioneer researcher for reincarnation.

• Like 1

On 2.6.2019 at 6:49 AM, Pettytalk said:

it can be amusing to exchange ideas

I love this, if you didn't see it already then please do:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Thanks for posting this.

You are welcome. :)

• Like 1

It can be counter-intuitive and I fully understand the mindset of materiallism in folks who adhere to the notion that the brain manufactures awareness.  Yet there is clearly awareness present in more species that have no brain, than those that possess one.  Paramecium avoid danger, seek out and consume food.  The individual cells of my body all have varying functions exhibiting awareness of environmental stimuli and threat potential/energy sources.  Yet have no brain.

For me the sense that the brain manufactures awareness is akin to the assumption that the radio creates the signal.  Sure there is a correlation between the radio and the signal and hearing the music.  But open the radio and you will not find the signal.

The Brain and the Body, seem more akin to tuning devices for awareness to interact with phenomena and noumena of certain frequencies, not the generative force of such frequencies.

The field of awareness is vast and my body seems after decades of seeking through meditation, entheogenic exploration and saturation in phenomena and noumena, to be a dense speck within it. 

That's just me, not trying to convince anyone of this, just sharing sincerely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2019 at 5:22 AM, LightAngel said:

I had not seen this particular clip, although I have watched several others where the panel of researchers was represented by a mixed group of pro and con  perspectives. This clip is a good primer for those already disposed to believe in an afterlife just on faith, as it shows that there are bright and well educated individuals putting science to work for a subject that a few around this forum consider nonsense, and baseless, based on their power of logic and scientific knowledge.

Those that have personally experienced any one or more of the things discussed in the clip, need not science nor faith to know that the "afterlife" is the lasting reality, and this physical life we are now experiencing is only one trip of the endless adventures we, our souls, embark on in our eternal existence.

The first will be last and the last first to acknowledge that there is a God, a Father, waiting for us to come back home, each to our.own native star, so as to signup for our next trip. But we have free will, and no one is forced to travel. But if we do venture out, then we travel back by a path that has more than one road. Some will be the first back, and others will come back last. However, we will all have different, amusing and fun stories stories to tell each other of our adventures while we rest for the preparation of the next action-packed travel itinerary our Loving Father has mapped out for us, the willing. We are the energetic souls, able travelers in time who, willingly, have come to this physical space containing all this matter that many upon many believe to be reality. 

We come for the rides, and we race around as if it's our last ride not knowing, or rather, not remembering where we come from, or who we really are. But that's also part of the games, and it should come as no surprise as to why it's so to those who are to sound the last call home. Big Papa is getting ready to draw the curtains on this play of ours, and wants us home. Our children's play is over, as It's really supper time, and He has a big banquet ready for us.  

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, Pettytalk said:

Apparently by the few posts on this thread, to make us aware of an ongoing scientific oriented research and study, there is not much interest in reincarnation. I had assumed that most of the scientific atheists would have found it interesting. And I mean those that claim to be atheists, due to what they perceive as lack of scientific evidence for there being an afterlife, where an afterlife means the continuation, in some form or shape, of our personal self-identity.  A missed opportunity for some good discussions, it seems to me.  

I am actually alright with this, and deeply happy to read serious attention being given to something I personally believe in. I am eager for science to find ways to probe into the "unseen" stuff and start sorting it out, whatever shakes out in the end, you know? I know I am not a whack job, though I can be mistaken. I know there is something to this and am eager for science to find out what.  It will take a while for findings like this to be taken up and explored more, but it is a start.

The issue of an afterlife and what that might mean is a loaded issue for many, even deeply painful and confusing so I am in no hurry for everyone to jump on something. At this point, if all you have are these studies, it is way too early days anyway. To everything a season...

I just long for the day people realize how very deeply loved they are, and how amazing, too. Until then, I love as I can and wait. It is all good and as it needs to be.

• Like 2

"Peter Fenwick is a neuropsychiatrist and neurophysiologist who is known for his pioneering studies of end-of-life phenomena."

Excellent interview! :)

• Thanks 1

My first words were I had another Mother and I "drowneded". I had an open minded Mom who let me talk about it. I have memories from a past life. I also had some trauma from it where I kept hearing this sound in my ear that would echo and repeat til I thought I'd go crazy, mostly trying to go to sleep. Even though my Mom was open minded I was scared to tell her thinking she would have me hospitalized but finally about the time I was 11 I told her and I was crying and she said well maybe it was the sound of water lapping in your ear when drowned and it was the last thing you heard. After that I never heard it again where it wouldn't stop. I know that was what it was and I can recall the sound but it doesnt bother me anymore. Since then as an adult I have done some regression sessions and filled in some details. I have no doubt we reincarnate and there is some kind of process to it. It has been a fact for me since I could talk and tell what happened.

• Like 3

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 11:42 PM, darkmoonlady said:

My first words were I had another Mother and I "drowneded". I had an open minded Mom who let me talk about it. I have memories from a past life. I also had some trauma from it where I kept hearing this sound in my ear that would echo and repeat til I thought I'd go crazy, mostly trying to go to sleep. Even though my Mom was open minded I was scared to tell her thinking she would have me hospitalized but finally about the time I was 11 I told her and I was crying and she said well maybe it was the sound of water lapping in your ear when drowned and it was the last thing you heard. After that I never heard it again where it wouldn't stop. I know that was what it was and I can recall the sound but it doesnt bother me anymore. Since then as an adult I have done some regression sessions and filled in some details. I have no doubt we reincarnate and there is some kind of process to it. It has been a fact for me since I could talk and tell what happened.

My friend told me she was always cold no matter what until she had a past life regression where she had frozen to death, then she was only cold if she were out in the snow. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

My friend told me she was always cold no matter what until she had a past life regression where she had frozen to death, then she was only cold if she were out in the snow. 

Interesting! 874.gif

Edit: The smiley I use here is called "The Thinker".

I mention this to prevent confusion.

Edited by LightAngel

• 3 weeks later...

John Cleese is the one who ranted at length about American football, calling it "handegg". I learned recently that football, soccer and rugby, and the names thereof, all originated at a single BRITISH school. I think we deserve a commentator who researches his rants better than what we have seen from this fellow.

Edited by SmartAZ
File got truncated somehow.