Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolf-dog 'swarms' threaten Europe's wolves

Eldorado

""Swarms" of wolf-dog crossbreeds could drive Europe's wolves out of existence, according to the lead author of new research.

"Such hybridisation -- driven by human activities that destroy habitats and mean wolves encounter more and more free-roaming dogs -- threatens the "genetic identity" of wolves.

"The study compares the views of more than 40 scientists and warns that a lack of engagement and agreement could hamper efforts to tackle wolf-dog hybridisation."

Full article at Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190523104940.htm

At Exeter Uni: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/research/title_717931_en.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think the proper term is "Pack" not "Swarm"  Swarms are insects, packs are canine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I hope it's just a howler.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think the proper term is "Pack" not "Swarm"  Swarms are insects, packs are canine.

As a plural noun, 'swarms' can mean 'a large number of people or things'. As a verb it can mean 'to be overrun [with thing]'. Packs would suggest that they form packs in the first place, rather than there just being a large number of them. Wolves are not always in packs, either. So it's better to compare them as a number, rather than the social group, as the packs are not the issue per se, rather the numbers of the hybrids.

That's just my opinion though. It doesn't really matter.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

"A hybrid swarm is a population of hybrids that has survived beyond the initial hybrid generation, with interbreeding between hybrid individuals and backcrossing with its parent types."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_swarm

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't take the article too seriously because of that and they called the wolves "mean".

" driven by human activities that destroy habitats and mean wolves encounter more and more free-roaming dogs"

Are they saying only "mean" wolves encounter dogs or all wolves are "mean".

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't take the article too seriously because of that and they called the wolves "mean".

" driven by human activities that destroy habitats and mean wolves encounter more and more free-roaming dogs"

Are they saying only "mean" wolves encounter dogs or all wolves are "mean".

Maybe it is a typo, maybe the poster meant to say "meat"

• Haha 1

Sometimes "mean" can mean, average?

• Thanks 1

Wolves suffered enough already? There was time when wolves were domesticated to be breed as dogs, was it? The act of it is, well, cruelty which surpasses everything many of us might heard about...

How this will backfire i can't even imagine, but everything does fire back i just hope it wont be some hybrid ebola or something.

20 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"A hybrid swarm is a population of hybrids that has survived beyond the initial hybrid generation, with interbreeding between hybrid individuals and backcrossing with its parent types."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_swarm

I watched the video and it seems that it is a parroting of some scientific paper, which was probably written by an entomologist.

I'd call this evolution,the hybrid will have skills to live close to humans unlike the wolf.The same thing has happened here with dingos.There is just not enough wilderness left for any wild predator to survive but nature has its ways.I think you will see a lot of this kind of thing in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1