Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing Voices

silentoasis

Ok. We have a white noise machine in our bedroom.  In the mornings especially,  I can hear radio interference and other voices through it.  OK.  I got tired of hearing public radio every morning and turned it off.  This morning, I heard people talking,  not on a radio frequency. Nothing was turned on in the bedroom,  just the clock.  WHAT is happening to me?!  Why can I  hear conversations when I'm the only one in the house?  The voices only talk to each other,  not me. And sometimes they're in very personal (i.e. sexual situations!)

• Like 1

from time to time we hear a very distant music, cant really tell anything besides its music,

so if its not audio hallucination or mental illness, what the devil is it? in our case i do believe when condition are right some electical devices act as a crystal radio type idea or just hum in a way that sounds like tunes.

since you had a device that was picking up  stray signals i would look into that,

Edited by the13bats
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, silentoasis said:

Ok. We have a white noise machine in our bedroom.  In the mornings especially,  I can hear radio interference and other voices through it.  OK.  I got tired of hearing public radio every morning and turned it off.  This morning, I heard people talking,  not on a radio frequency. Nothing was turned on in the bedroom,  just the clock.  WHAT is happening to me?!  Why can I  hear conversations when I'm the only one in the house?  The voices only talk to each other,  not me. And sometimes they're in very personal (i.e. sexual situations!)

Interesting that you are posting this in 'Spiritualism & Mediumship'. I'm not one to jump to a normal or paranormal explanation. I do believe paranormal sources can use electronic devices that people can be receptive to. 

And do you have a clue about what you are hearing? Sexual situations? You may be dealing with lower astral plane entities attracted to what is closest to the physical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 5:54 PM, silentoasis said:

Have you tried turning the white noise generator off over night?  I have found those to be more annoying than soothing but that is just me.  I sometimes hear music and voices that I can't make out but I have no clue what causes it.  I have issues with the constant whine of wifi and other electronics so I blame them.  I don't hear it when I go to remote locations where there is no wifi or electronics.

• Like 1

On 2019-05-30 at 2:41 AM, Piney said:

I have had them and it's pretty common too however you should start to worry if your neighbours dog orders you to kill people ;-)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i noticed something since i was last in this thread, i have been in the car port putzing with the trike at night its cooler and quiet out had a small "boom box" turned on, low i just need background noise near me, while you basically couldnt hear it in some closer locations like the front door or basement within say 30-40ft of it we could here it upstairs in the bedroom on the farside of the house, did it go thru ducting? i dont know but its weird.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The term 'white noise' is thrown around here. Are you implying evp? (electronic voice phenomena) replaying device with intent to contact/hear deceased? Not to sound bossy, but this might need clarification.

Edited by Bed of chaos

On 5/30/2019 at 12:54 AM, silentoasis said:

We have a white noise machine in our bedroom.  In the mornings especially,  I can hear radio interference and other voices through it. 

This can happen where it picks up radio waves.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/answers.yahoo.com/amp/qna/20091102001018AAyg8W0

As you brain has become used to the white noise at night, when you turned it off, the brain tries to recognise other input.

Here is some info on how the brain works 

your brain is a pattern recognition machine. In other words, your brain tries to find meaning in all the sensory input it receives.

audio pareidolia is specifically looking for patterns within random sounds.

http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/apophenia-audio-pareidolia-and-musical-ear-syndrome/

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2019 at 12:54 AM, silentoasis said:

All I can say about white noise is that for a while, when I was recently extremely stressed out, I used my radio, detuning it from any station, as a white noise generator.  In the end I found myself getting more and more stressed and less and less able to sleep at night.  I did not equate this stress with the white noise until I had a dream which I interpreted as advising me of the source of my stress i.e. the white noise. The reason that white noise was stressing me out was because it was putting me in a world of sensory deprivation i.e. nothing to catch a hold of, like those white rooms they supposedly use in psychiatric hospitals.  Those rooms would drive anyone nuts because of the sensory deprivation -  or they would at least drive me nuts.  If my experience that white noise caused me even more stress is a normal response, then maybe your hearing voices is telling you something similar, or your hearing voices may alternatively be a stress response to the white noise. 

Nowadays, when I can't sleep. I often find a talking radio station (not music) and it does now often send me to sleep.  But I now avoid white noise.

Edited by littlebrowndragon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, littlebrowndragon said:

I often find a talking radio station (not music) and it does now often send me to sleep. 

I had an app on my cellphone called Sleep Sounds. I'd always put it on Rainy Day. 10 minutes in, I'm out like a light.

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I had an app on my cellphone called Sleep Sounds. I'd always put it on Rainy Day. 10 minutes in, I'm out like a light.

Like you, I find rain is a very soothing sound.  I love the sound of rain when I'm in a tent or a caravan, especially.

1 hour ago, littlebrowndragon said:

All I can say about white noise is that for a while, when I was recently extremely stressed out, I used my radio, detuning it from any station, as a white noise generator.  In the end I found myself getting more and more stressed and less and less able to sleep at night.  I did not equate this stress with the white noise until I had a dream which I interpreted as advising me of the source of my stress i.e. the white noise. The reason that white noise was stressing me out was because it was putting me in a world of sensory deprivation i.e. nothing to catch a hold of, like those white rooms they supposedly use in psychiatric hospitals.  Those rooms would drive anyone nuts because of the sensory deprivation -  or they would at least drive me nuts.  If my experience that white noise caused me even more stress is a normal response, then maybe your hearing voices is telling you something similar, or your hearing voices may alternatively be a stress response to the white noise. 

Nowadays, when I can't sleep. I often find a talking radio station (not music) and it does now often send me to sleep.  But I now avoid white noise.

I worked in a building that used a white noise generator to keep the echos down as we were in one huge half block long room filled with cubicles.  I was always on edge until the white noise generator broke and it was too expensive to fix it.  It was a relief for me that it broke.

21 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I worked in a building that used a white noise generator to keep the echos down as we were in one huge half block long room filled with cubicles.  I was always on edge until the white noise generator broke and it was too expensive to fix it.  It was a relief for me that it broke.

It really annoys me what workers are forced to endure because someone somewhere thinks it's a good idea to e.g. install a white noise generator, without bothering to think how it will affect people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, littlebrowndragon said:

It really annoys me what workers are forced to endure because someone somewhere thinks it's a good idea to e.g. install a white noise generator, without bothering to think how it will affect people.

The new building the company moved in to had cubicles that were ony 3 ft. high so I am glad I quit that job because I would not have been able to concentrate in a fish bowl.  The other cubilcles were 5 feet high, noise was dampened a little and I did not have to look at anyone else while working.

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

The new building the company moved in to had cubicles that were ony 3 ft. high so I am glad I quit that job because I would not have been able to concentrate in a fish bowl.  The other cubilcles were 5 feet high, noise was dampened a little and I did not have to look at anyone else while working.

That is really appalling, having to work in what is effectively open plan, and with only 3' high cubicle walls!  

I used to be a secondary school teacher and in one school I worked at, when a replacement school was built, we had open plan foisted on us too.  I and another teacher ended up with severe voice problems because we almost had to shout when talking to our pupils such was the background noise from all the other classes.  (It took my boss a year to do something about this problem.)  I would just add here that when I was a student teacher and examiners watched me teaching, they always told me that my voice projection was very good.  So, the problem was not with my voice projection, it was with the open plan design of the building.

I also experienced that same awful fish bowl difficulty with concentration with open plan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, littlebrowndragon said:

That is really appalling, having to work in what is effectively open plan, and with only 3' high cubicle walls!  

I used to be a secondary school teacher and in one school I worked at, when a replacement school was built, we had open plan foisted on us too.  I and another teacher ended up with severe voice problems because we almost had to shout when talking to our pupils such was the background noise from all the other classes.  (It took my boss a year to do something about this problem.)  I would just add here that when I was a student teacher and examiners watched me teaching, they always told me that my voice projection was very good.  So, the problem was not with my voice projection, it was with the open plan design of the building.

I also experienced that same awful fish bowl difficulty with concentration with open plan.

My mother experienced that in the 70's.  It was so bad she put cabinets between her and the class next to her, and not only that there were 2 teachers per grade in one area and they were supposed to co-teach.  That could have worked if the teachers were both on the same page about how things should be taught, but it was a disaster.  After the first year all the teachers complained and said they would find other jobs if the building wasn't changed.  Over the summer wall were put in with those pocket doors between each classroom.  My mom found another job.  Some crazy (they are usually crazy) psychologist suggested that open plan. 

In high school I went for one semester to a school that had all the halls on the outside and the classrooms on the inside so that there were no windows.  The electricity would go off and we were essentially in a cave.  The janitors were told to lock the doors if the electricity went off because if they let us out we wouldn't come back and they wouldn't get their funding for the day.  The electricity went off a lot so I always jumped up and ran to the doors before the janitors could get to them and walked home.

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

After the first year all the teachers complained and said they would find other jobs if the building wasn't changed...……………...  My mom found another job.  Some crazy (they are usually crazy) psychologist suggested that open plan. 

Good for your mom deciding to get another job and good for the other teachers complaining.  I was the only teacher who complained in my school.  No one would back me up.  The others were all too scared of losing their jobs, I guess.  However, while we teachers had to work in open plan, did any of the management e.g. the headteacher or the depute, have to work in open plan?  Of course not!  

In high school I went for one semester to a school that had all the halls on the outside and the classrooms on the inside so that there were no windows.  The electricity would go off and we were essentially in a cave.  The janitors were told to lock the doors if the electricity went off because if they let us out we wouldn't come back and they wouldn't get their funding for the day.  The electricity went off a lot so I always jumped up and ran to the doors before the janitors could get to them and walked home.

My jaw is just hitting the floor at that.  I can imagine it would have been very frightening to have power cuts and to be in windowless rooms, and not only that, but to be locked up in the building too.  And good for you in getting out before you could be locked in.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I seem to get a funeral I do especially was feeling spirits whispering spirits I do

I know why they put me for I know I spirits I'm or live spirits pick me because I turn my phone off I should respect for the deceased and paper the funeral and I should respect for the funeral homes at the service I do

I know I see spirits and I hear spirits took me a long time to realise I am Gifted buy a lot of mediums in 2018 to 19 beginning of 2020 before covert night then destroyed everything

I even had the safest family I never met was it made in a dream I spoke to the family at did it's poked the family it did really spoke to them m

On 3/11/2021 at 5:17 PM, dream jo said:

I seem to get a funeral I do especially was feeling spirits whispering spirits I do

I know why they put me for I know I spirits I'm or live spirits pick me because I turn my phone off I should respect for the deceased and paper the funeral and I should respect for the funeral homes at the service I do

I know I see spirits and I hear spirits took me a long time to realise I am Gifted buy a lot of mediums in 2018 to 19 beginning of 2020 before covert night then destroyed everything

I even had the safest family I never met was it made in a dream I spoke to the family at did it's poked the family it did really spoke to them m

I says pardon?