Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physicists "teleport" logic operation

Eldorado

"Physicists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) have teleported a computer circuit instruction known as a quantum logic operation between two separated ions (electrically charged atoms), showcasing how quantum computer programs could carry out tasks in future large-scale quantum networks.

"Quantum teleportation transfers data from one quantum system (such as an ion) to another (such as a second ion), even if the two are completely isolated from each other, like two books in the basements of separate buildings. In this real-life form of teleportation, only quantum information, not matter, is transported, as opposed to the Star Trek version of "beaming" entire human beings from, say, a spaceship to a planet."

Full article at Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190530141539.htm

At Cosmos magazine: https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/physicists-teleport-logic-operation-between-separated-ions

• Like 2

Two isolated systems effecting each other is a 'wow' to our normal thinking of causation.

My hunch is that they are effecting each other beyond our three-dimensional physical world. I would think this should make things like telepathy less ridiculous to traditional thinkers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I would think this should make things like telepathy less ridiculous to traditional thinkers.

Nope. Keep wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Two isolated systems effecting each other is a 'wow' to our normal thinking of causation.

My hunch is that they are effecting each other beyond our three-dimensional physical world. I would think this should make things like telepathy less ridiculous to traditional thinkers.

Hold your horses papag. :D

It's single atoms, and nothing the size of neurons. But it is still pretty big compared to particles!

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nope. Keep wishful thinking.

And I'm also thinking people like many time great granddaddy Fish had to keep pointing out the ridiculousness of a round earth.

• Confused 1

From our perceptual limitations, it may appear there is no connection between the separated ions.

Separation and independence... illusory.  No thing exists independently of all other things.

When you flick your finger on a light switch to turn on a light, the entire universe shifts in response.

When you pick up your coffee mug, there is an unbroken chain of causation linking that action back to the moment your mum and dad came together to conceive you.  This expands and encompasses all actions in reality.  It's all linked in causation, nothing is exempt.

We love to take the five pieces of information we receive from our senses and say we have perceived the entirety of reality.

The puzzle of life has a trillion billion pieces...  How odd we take our five pieces and hold them up, stomping about in certainty proclaiming we have seen reality.

Edited by quiXilver
spellin goblins
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

And I'm also thinking people like many time great granddaddy Fish had to keep pointing out the ridiculousness of a round earth.

No, just pointing out your ready assumption that people will "believe". Because that fits your narrative.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Hold your horses papag. :D

It's single atoms, and nothing the size of neurons. But it is still pretty big compared to particles!

Scientists are finding quantum activity in the brain (microtubules). I'm not claiming to be a scientist but only saying these once strange concepts are sounding less ridiculous. 

I wish they didn't use the word teleport. 

All they are doing is creating an entangled pair and measuring them. Nothing really new here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No, just pointing out your ready assumption that people will "believe". Because that fits your narrative.

My point was that there has always have been those that don't see the future until it's history!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I wish they didn't use the word teleport. 

All they are doing is creating an entangled pair and measuring them. Nothing really new here. 

Except maybe that it's atoms instead of particles.

36 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Scientists are finding quantum activity in the brain (microtubules). I'm not claiming to be a scientist but only saying these once strange concepts are sounding less ridiculous. 

Yes, but that's local quantum activity. You can't entangle anything (from the outside) with the neurons of the brain, without destroying the brain itself.

Edited by sci-nerd

43 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

When you flick your finger on a light switch to turn on a light, the entire universe shifts in response.

When you pick up your coffee mug, there is an unbroken chain of causation linking that action back to the moment your mum and dad came together to conceive you.  This expands and encompasses all actions in reality.  It's all linked in causation, nothing is exempt.

Maybe that's a bit far-fetched...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Yes, but that's local quantum activity. You can't entangle anything (from the outside) with the neurons of the brain, without destroying the brain itself.

How do we know how any quantum behavior operates. The brain functions and I don’t see how quantum behavior could destroy it? Perhaps quantum behavior is co-ordinated by higher consciousness?

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

How do we know how any quantum behavior operates.

We know that from countless experiments.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

We know that from countless experiments.

But the cause of the behavior is still a mystery, right? The speculation of behavior coordinated by higher consciousness can be out there as far as we can tell.

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

But the cause of the behavior is still a mystery, right? The speculation of behavior coordinated by higher consciousness can be out there as far as we can tell.

It does indeed resemble computer-ish behavior. But not a mind controlled one. It's much too mechanical and predictable.

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The more you know. Has nothing to do with quantum physics or woo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1