Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Author says Ed and Lorraine Warren are frauds

stereologist

Always knew they were frauds and embellishers. On a side note though....Lorraine is super hot in the movies.

• Like 1

Interesting that Gorton waited until the Warrens were dead to make his claim.

Not that the Warrens were good people. This is one of those stories where everyone stinks. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, khazarkhum said:

Not that the Warrens were good people. This is one of those stories where everyone stinks. 

Actually, he did not wait. It is only recently that I found out about this. Garton began his statements after the book went to the publisher around 1994.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robotic Jew said:

Always knew they were frauds and embellishers. On a side note though....Lorraine is super hot in the movies.

Hollywood vs reality

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, khazarkhum said:

dont be shocked if soon after Patricia Patterson passes away a PGF bloopers reel and fur suit pops up.

When i first heard about them i thought maybe not everything they did was completely fraudulent perhaps they did actually find something even if the chances are very slim. They were business minded thats for sure...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Actually, he did not wait. It is only recently that I found out about this. Garton began his statements after the book went to the publisher around 1994.

That doesn't change the fact that there's something very wrong here. Lots of authors write books they're not proud of or make changes at an editor's behest because of these pesky things called "bills". I assure you, they can be more horrifying than anything the Warrens dreamed up. 

This is the first I'd heard of any complaint, too, and I watched for any sign of a crack in the Warren's facade. They saw everything as demons. Noise at night? Demons. Dog barked? Demons. Drain clogged? Demons--ok, well, that could be demons, when you really think about it. I mean, the sink is misbehaving, and now a professional must exorcise whatever is clogging it. Yeah, that could be demons. That it always happens when it's most inconvenient certainly suggests a malevolent force.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

When i first heard about them i thought maybe not everything they did was completely fraudulent perhaps they did actually find something even if the chances are very slim. They were business minded thats for sure...

I believe they found demons to remove. How did they do it?

You see, they would remove demons by taking your money, because money is evil and you don't want to be tainted like that now, do you? Of course you don't. So let us take it  away for you, and the demons will follow us while you live in peace.

That was their business model.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, khazarkhum said:

That doesn't change the fact that there's something very wrong here. Lots of authors write books they're not proud of or make changes at an editor's behest because of these pesky things called "bills". I assure you, they can be more horrifying than anything the Warrens dreamed up. 

This is the first I'd heard of any complaint, too, and I watched for any sign of a crack in the Warren's facade. They saw everything as demons. Noise at night? Demons. Dog barked? Demons. Drain clogged? Demons--ok, well, that could be demons, when you really think about it. I mean, the sink is misbehaving, and now a professional must exorcise whatever is clogging it. Yeah, that could be demons. That it always happens when it's most inconvenient certainly suggests a malevolent force.

I agree that they assigned everything to demons, but did they actually believe all of that?

Look at two of the claims they made.

• Having a video of supernatural events.
  • Claims that they had evidence that one of the funeral home people was arrested for **********

There never appears to have been a video and they never showed evidence of anyone being arrested for anything.

Take a look at some of the links I posted. They are dated 10 or more yeas ago. This is not something new.

• Like 1

A question to me has been what was happening with Phillip, aka Steve in the movie.

The claim has been that he was being treated for cancer but no one ever stated the cancer.

Here is his obituary. It's really weird.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97463700/phillip-wayne-snedeker

The reason I see it as weird is that it mentions a lot about this hoax. There are two short sentence which describes who he was. It says he liked music and hunting. He was a truck driver. He was Catholic.

The bulk of the text  is about the hoax. That's just weird.

• Like 1

this is fraud & should be punished accordingly 

Edited by Dejarma

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

A question to me has been what was happening with Phillip, aka Steve in the movie.

The claim has been that he was being treated for cancer but no one ever stated the cancer.

The reason I see it as weird is that it mentions a lot about this hoax. There are two short sentence which describes who he was. It says he liked music and hunting. He was a truck driver. He was Catholic.

It very clearly says his cancer was Hodgkins Lymphoma. "When Philip was about 14 years old, he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. His treatment was at the University of Connecticut Hospital which was a distance from his home in upstate New York." 

The fraud with the Warrens is what he is known for, isn't it? Why would discussing it be weird?

24 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

this is fraud & should be punished accordingly 

punished?! are you kidding dear true believers think its real.

2 hours ago, khazarkhum said:

It very clearly says his cancer was Hodgkins Lymphoma. "When Philip was about 14 years old, he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. His treatment was at the University of Connecticut Hospital which was a distance from his home in upstate New York." 

The fraud with the Warrens is what he is known for, isn't it? Why would discussing it be weird?

Is that your life, some other person's fraud?

The fact is that the cancer type was not reported till later, well after the fraud of the haunting and demons took place. There had been suspicion early on that the cancer claim was used as a cover up for mental illness.

• Like 1

Here is an oddity I picked up on.

https://www.lightforcenetwork.com/group-content/haunting-connecticut-true-story

During the treatments in Southington, Philip Snedeker's cancer went into remission and had not yet resurfaced at the time of the movie's release. He had been working as a trucker and had four children. Unfortunately, his cancer returned and ultimately claimed his life on August 9, 2012.

Did he have children that were not mentioned in his obituary or is this site incorrect?

In general, I think this site covers many of the aspects of the case.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

Here is an oddity I picked up on.

https://www.lightforcenetwork.com/group-content/haunting-connecticut-true-story

Did he have children that were not mentioned in his obituary or is this site incorrect?

In general, I think this site covers many of the aspects of the case.

That site is something, all right. Why didn't you just go back to Find a Grave?

As for the kids, it says in the obituary at  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97463700/phillip-wayne-snedeker that Mr. Snedeker is survived by his parents, a sister, two brothers, and his four sons, his maternal grandmother,and her husband, his paternal grandmother, a sister, two brothers, and two step-brothers. Several nieces, nephews and cousins also survive.

Here we see that his sons are mentioned.  What made you think they didn't exist?

18 hours ago, khazarkhum said:

That site is something, all right. Why didn't you just go back to Find a Grave?

As for the kids, it says in the obituary at  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97463700/phillip-wayne-snedeker that Mr. Snedeker is survived by his parents, a sister, two brothers, and his four sons, his maternal grandmother,and her husband, his paternal grandmother, a sister, two brothers, and two step-brothers. Several nieces, nephews and cousins also survive.

Here we see that his sons are mentioned.  What made you think they didn't exist?

Where is the wife? 

The info on the son that in one of the stories is the start of all of the sightings has rather sketchy information.

There are plenty of places that NOW state the type of cancer, but earlier material does not mention that. Some places claim he tried to rape a 12 year and was arrested. That was why he was not in the house when the Warrens and Garton were there. Other sources suggest he was institutionalized for mental illness. It is a hodge podge of stuff concerning the son.

• Like 1

You don't have to be married to have kids, you know. But as she is not mentioned, the logical choices are: divorced or dead.

• Like 1

a detailed mind and hunting facts in old cases especially frauds can be akin to trying to unscramble an egg,

my dads obit isnt really accurate, written by my step mother but mostly her kids all older than myself, i have no idea why they embelished up things some based is a seed of truth but not how it was.

contradictions or missing information has pushed my OCD to a bit over a decade ago calling a guy who claimed to have seen bigfoot but each documentary was a bit different story, so a called him up and asked him, it was according to him how the shows producters wanted it and he was good with it since his basic story was correct, but thats reaching and he went on for an hour telling me what "TV" didnt let him share, bigfoot just the tip of that iceberg.

a monsterquest episode has a guy who says he was with his wife when he sees a lake monster, the reenactment shows a wife in the car with him but shes not on the show not mentioned on it or in any of the few written accounts on line, why not?

with this case the alleged Connecticut haunting, which i have not studied as much as you guys so my opinions might be off the young man very well might have had and been treated for a type cancer when youger, and later had a relaspe, or mental illness, committing rape whould certainly count as mentally ill to me, 

since you know i dont buy into hauntings i have to believe all involved knew like with amityville it was bs to make a buck and if people go that route, books, lectures, movie deals i would hope they are set up well, a job as a truck driver isnt reflecting set up well to me, i guess the real winners were the warrens.

in this case the wife not mentioned could be she will spew its a fake or shes passed or was just not that involved with the guy,

with basically the big roles in this one all passed i doubt you will unpeel this onion, but with any such case misinformation abounds and in a fraud so much more so, but are yiu getting at something im not grasping?

On 6/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, stereologist said:

This is his actual obituary...

https://www.tetrickfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Phil-Snedeker-251768/#!/Obituary

I live about 30-40 minutes away from where he lived (and died). Never knew that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure quite why you are so interested in the obituary of someone who was only marginally involved in the mess.  I'm just amazed at how long the Warrens were able to keep  their fraud spinning along. Sure, there's a lot of credulous people out there, but--finding demons everywhere? I mean, seriously now. Shouldn't they have encountered at least an angelic being or three? I'm not saying encounter an archangel like Michael or Gabriel, but maybe a cherub or two protecting a family?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, khazarkhum said:

I'm not sure quite why you are so interested in the obituary of someone who was only marginally involved in the mess.  I'm just amazed at how long the Warrens were able to keep  their fraud spinning along. Sure, there's a lot of credulous people out there, but--finding demons everywhere? I mean, seriously now. Shouldn't they have encountered at least an angelic being or three? I'm not saying encounter an archangel like Michael or Gabriel, but maybe a cherub or two protecting a family?

satan is spelled $atan, no money to be made off good, evil sells.