Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Heart?

Mr Guitar

We've all heard a phrase like "Evil (or goodness, as the case may be) is in the hearts and minds of man". I agree that those things do exist in the mind of man/woman but why bring the heart into it? It has no cognitive capability and only exists to  push fluids here and there around the bodily factory. Whoever decided the heart was at the root of anything? Maybe it's just me as I tend to be very unemotional and distrustful of those who are. My heart can't love or hate - it can only pump (which is a good thing).

5 minutes ago, Mr Guitar said:

We've all heard a phrase like "Evil (or goodness, as the case may be) is in the hearts and minds of man". I agree that those things do exist in the mind of man/woman but why bring the heart into it? It has no cognitive capability and only exists to  push fluids here and there around the bodily factory. Whoever decided the heart was at the root of anything? Maybe it's just me as I tend to be very unemotional and distrustful of those who are. My heart can't love or hate - it can only pump (which is a good thing).

I think heart is just a metaphor for the emotional aspect of our-selves.

• Like 4

The heart is where a sensation is felt .... be it love, disappointment, fear etc.etc.

• Like 3

It's literary license. Predates our understanding of heart functions. Eyes are the mirror to the soul, same thing. 

• Like 1

There may be things that we don't entirely understand about the "electrical" energy fields within and around our bodies?

where ,exactly,does life reside in our bodies?   Oh...everywhere?  Imagine that!   ^_^

• Like 3

I'm just guessing here, but certain emotions/state of mind affect your heart rate.  People back then may have mistook the effect for the cause.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Next time you're having a romantic dinner, try telling your date:

You will forever be in my fuel pump!

...and see if that gets you laid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Eyes are the mirror to the soul, same thing. 

Wait...I'm a ginger. So shouldn't I be eyeless?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well it's a poetic convention isn't it. Home is where the heart is. I left my heart in San Francisco. Any other organ wouldn't really sound right. Liver, for instance. I left my liver in San Francisco would just sound weird.

Unless you'd been staying with Jeffrey Dahmer. :mellow: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Next time you're having a romantic dinner, try telling your date:

You will forever be in my fuel pump!

...and see if that gets you laid.

Now, THAT is funny.  Reminds me of a scene from a movie and I can't repeat it here but it was really funny.  The takeaway was that you never know what will work until you try it :w00t:

4 hours ago, and then said:

I vaguely remembered that it was one of the Greeks that first associated the heart with emotion:

https://web.stanford.edu/class/history13/earlysciencelab/body/heartpages/heart.html

But what about the Egyptians weighing the heart against an ostrich feather?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Judgment-of-Osiris

I believe that the heart was important because death occurred when it stopped beating. Surely people made this connection very early on. Same reason why breath was held sacred.

They saw people die of heart attacks. A terrible connection to fear. I'm sure people had heartburn so bad they think it might have been the end.

They felt their heart racing with fear, anxiety, rage and physical exhaustion. 

So basically, early man figured the heart to be a gauge of their feelings, but didn't understand what connection the brain had.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mr Guitar said:

We've all heard a phrase like "Evil (or goodness, as the case may be) is in the hearts and minds of man". I agree that those things do exist in the mind of man/woman but why bring the heart into it?

Jews have the concept of the seed of evil in man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yetzer_hara

It was transmitted to us through Lillit to Adam and Eve, and was originally redistributed from Lucifer.
The reason for the appearance of evil is to introduce division into the divine unity that Lucifer committed when God gave all creatures free will and Lucifer chose the wrong side that led to the emergence of the duality of good and evil in the cosmos and consciousness of beings.

Man must be freed from the tendency toward evil by the discovery of the divine consciousness.

Edited by Coil
  • Like 1

The reason the "ancients" were so fixated on the heart is because it is the only major human organ that you can readily sense.

Not so with, say, the liver or kidneys.

I suppose that, due to this, they believed the "soul" is within the heart.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pallidin said:

The reason the "ancients" were so fixated on the heart is because it is the only major human organ that you can readily sense.

The heart is quite poetic in its beat. 

But you can readily sense multiple other major organs. They’re just not as romantic. 

Which organs are on your ‘major human organ’ list?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I said that it is the only major human organ that you can readily sense (beside the skin, of course)

Should I repeat that?

Edited by pallidin

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

True, the mind was an organ of analysis and an organ of perception at that time could be associated with sincere perception that failed Adam. He couldn’t discern how evil captures him, grows and settles in him because he did not have a discriminating mind, he appeared later when the gods saw that creatures began to create unreasonable and put on his mind the distinction between good and evil but a bad deed was done and the mind of distinction still leads man in a dual way. We are even in the structure of worlds between angels and demons. And "between" is not a bright world and the dual world of good and evil and man need to take a step towards the angels and gods and life will be beautiful again.

If you analyze the essence of how evil looks in a person as if we were looking for what the evil virus looked like initially by itself, it looks like a cobweb that entangles the layers of the human body and consciousness, and this web was seen by spiritual people. There are three layers of the Hiding web that hide the true and the immortal human body and the present biological human body is a substitute, a surrogate that Nature is forced to use in us but Nature knows what she has lost, she has not forgotten God and wants to return it.  After all, the body that Adam received from the gods was beautiful and immortal but the bad could not penetrate the divine, so it covered the web with the body and consciousness as layers of matter so tightly and impenetrably that it covered almost the light of God. Therefore, the web is the layers of evil in man. And the enlightenment of consciousness is the release from these layers at the level of the mind but these layers remain in the body and make a person mortal, sick and weak and we can not fly and stay anywhere, do not depend on physical laws, temperature, pressure, distance, level, etc.

The spiritual people on earth achieved success. They eliminated this web in their bodies but still old age and death broke them in the final attempt to transform the body and now their task is to return to Earth again in a new body and continue working on the transformation of all human bodies.. They have accelerated our evolution for millions of years but we didn’t even notice this because nothing seemed to have changed for us. So the seed of evil in humanity will be excluded this thing only time and the one who won it in himself will be able to help everyone. It's amazing that even God tells spiritual people not to rush into transformation now, he says wait for the right time but they are so eager to transform all people that they are in a hurry to do it as soon as possible.
Edited by Coil

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

I said that it is the only major human organ that you can readily sense (beside the skin, of course)

Should I repeat that?

Probably not. 

Them lungs you can sense pretty readily. 

As with other organs. 

Eg. You can feel bladder too quite readily. Stomach as well.

So what am I missing?

Edited by Timothy
Edit.
  • Like 2

Whatever. Carry-on people...

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Coil said:

Jews have the concept of the seed of evil in man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yetzer_hara

It was transmitted to us through Lillit to Adam and Eve, and was originally redistributed from Lucifer.
The reason for the appearance of evil is to introduce division into the divine unity that Lucifer committed when God gave all creatures free will and Lucifer chose the wrong side that led to the emergence of the duality of good and evil in the cosmos and consciousness of beings.

Man must be freed from the tendency toward evil by the discovery of the divine consciousness.

But, what if one does not believe in adam, eve, god, jesus or any of those other human constructs? Who invented  that "seed of evil" theory - why 'man', of course. Just another example of the attempt by the priest class to justify it's existence and keep the people terrified of the unknown......oh, "but it'll be better if you keep the coffers filled and pass that offering plate at every service, and we can use the $$$ to buy a new airplane which we need to spread the 'word' to those who have no interest in hearing it". Remarkable how gullible some can be and some of these fear merchants even start putting themselves in the place of 'that which is being worshipped' and their subjects raise them to exalted heights with bigger buildings, nicer houses, newer cars, etc.  I've always believed if a person has a calling to preach the 'gospel' (of whatever belief), he/she should do it on their own time and go out and get a real job, not rely on others to support them - but that's pretty much the way it's always been. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr Guitar said:

But, what if one does not believe in adam, eve, god, jesus or any of those other human constructs? Who invented  that "seed of evil" theory - why 'man', of course. Just another example of the attempt by the priest class to justify it's existence and keep the people terrified of the unknown.

If we drop the religious theory of evil, it all comes down to the imperfections of our mind but then people will have a question as to why people have done such or how people have become so and you will have to give an answer to all mankind. And since religion and man go together then it is logical that in the past man races are searched for an answer. In addition, it is impossible to ignore the experiences of spiritual people who say that God and the spirit are truth, eternal life and all that, and questions also arise as to why we are not like God and angels and why we live poorly and they are good.Religion gives an understanding of how everything was and not science.

Do not be confused by the priests, they are ordinary people who can use religion for personal gain but if you want to know the truth religion will give the answer.We do not curse the knife if it is used for bad purposes.

Edited by Coil

4 hours ago, Coil said:

1.)  In addition, it is impossible to ignore the experiences of spiritual people who say that God and the spirit are truth, eternal life and all that, and questions also arise as to why we are not like God and angels and why we live poorly and they are good.Religion gives an understanding of how everything was and not science.

2.) Do not be confused by the priests, they are ordinary people who can use religion for personal gain but if you want to know the truth religion will give the answer.We do not curse the knife if it is used for bad purposes.

1.) It IS possible to ignore because it is all based on presumption and wishful thinking - there is NO factual proof of any of it. We can't be like something that doesn't exist. We can, however, choose to abide by the rules of society and get along just fine - no religion needed,  in my experience. Most of the ten commandments are just common sense to exist in any given society - no need of a burning bush and stone tablets to give them credence. Maybe Moses thought them up himself but needed to add the sci-fi element to awe his followers into accepting his authority - more smoke and mirrors from the clergy. I just can't allow someone who I don't know and respect to tell me how to live my life. Are their followers so stupid that they can't read and understand a book by themselves - they've been led to believe that and that's where their power comes from.

2.) I'm not because I figured them out at an early age and stay as far away from them as possible. If all the 'priests' gave up their salaries and 'percs' of office, it might be a start but they'd still be teaching falsehoods so they'd never get my respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pallidin said:

Whatever. Carry-on people...

I’ll make sure to keep your bladder close to my brain! 

Why not ;-)

• Haha 2