Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Getting Shredded.

XenoFish

2 minutes ago, Wickian said:

I helps that for years I tend to only eat once per day with a light snacking later.  I've been that way all my life.

Do you mind explaining this?

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Do you mind explaining this?

When I was a kid I never had much of an appetite in the morning and would maybe have some toast or a poptart, then eat at lunch and dinner normally.

As I got older it shifted to eating a smaller dinner as well until it was just a snack to hold off hunger before going to sleep.  I liked the feeling of being full after eating, but I didn't want to get fat so I just shifted to getting full in one meal and adjusting my other meals accordingly.

It's worked for me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Wickian said:

When I was a kid I never had much of an appetite in the morning and would maybe have some toast or a poptart, then eat at lunch and dinner normally.

As I got older it shifted to eating a smaller dinner as well until it was just a snack to hold off hunger before going to sleep.  I liked the feeling of being full after eating, but I didn't want to get fat so I just shifted to getting full in one meal and adjusting my other meals accordingly.

It's worked for me.

Okay I get it. It would be like having  a sandwich for lunch and just a plate of food for dinner then nothing else. Right?

I'm not big on eating breakfast myself. I blame it on my sinuses. :lol:

To summarise... keep it simple.

1. Mirror on Fridge. :D

2. Note to self on fridge..

3. When snacking go for the savoury, not sweet, items.

4. Exercise.. but combine it with a hobby and/or whatever is needed to keep it interesting, eg in my case, I take my camera out for a walk in the 'golden hours' (late afternoon/early morning), and I try to vary my route, or drive to a park I've never visited, etc.

I just use 3 and 4.

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

First thing I want to let everyone know. I have diverticulitis and gallbladder issues. My doctor wanted me to lose some weight. And I have until August 1st to do so. So here is what I'm asking. What can I do to lose this weight fast and safely? To basically get shredded in 8 to 10 weeks time. Anyone got any sound advice. Thanks in advanced.

Walk a few miles each night. Buy good sneaks though. 

I do 90 pushups 90 reverse pushups and 30 sit ups every other day. The only carb I eat is jasmine rice, which is the healthiest and I do a apple, some cheese squares ( good aged stuff) and dark chocolate for breakfast,  a decent size lunch,  but just a salad and yogurt for dinner. Lots of fish also. 

• Thanks 1

Hi XF.  I've found that having food in your body in the evening and especially when you're sleeping is to be avoided, since none of it will be burned by your bodies' moving around etc.  It all basically gets stored as fat.  My remedy, which has worked more than once, is to have breakfast be my biggest meal of the day, lunch second biggest, and skip dinner altogether ideally, or just a yogurt or something easily digested.  Most of your caloric intake will be burned off this way by nighttime.  You'll sleep much better too, since your body won't be trying to digest food while you're sleeping.  Keep moving during the day as much as you can, stand rather than sit, etc.  Repetitive exercise is best yes, but if you have joint problems be careful not to hurt yourself....that'll just make things worse.  With diverticulitis you should avoid fats as much as possible.  Good luck.  Let us know how you're doing.

Edited by The Wistman

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

First thing I want to let everyone know. I have diverticulitis and gallbladder issues. My doctor wanted me to lose some weight. And I have until August 1st to do so. So here is what I'm asking. What can I do to lose this weight fast and safely? To basically get shredded in 8 to 10 weeks time. Anyone got any sound advice. Thanks in advanced.

I was 95kg, had half my stomach removed due to cancer...now I'm 59.7kg. I know it's extreme but it works. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Cut out all sugar and white breads, eat 6 small meals a day, drink a TON of cold water and dont eat anything after 7pm EVER.

@XenoFish I didnt get a chance to expound on this but I have had massive success using this exact system.

10 hours ago, and then said:

Overall intake can't be ignored but I really have found that I can shed pounds while eating 4K calories a day and doing nothing more than an extended walk at night.  5-6 miles in summer.  I know not everyone has that much time for walking but it works for me and has for nearly 5 years now.

and doing a TON of this ^^

Im convinced walking is the kery to fitness and longevity.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I do have a hell of a sweet tooth though. Soda, tea, and sugary coffee being my sweet tooth demons. I used to chug 2 or 3 energy drinks a day, now they make me sick.

I sympathise with this as I had a raging sweet tooth all my life ..... until I gave up sugar all together. If you can stick it out for a few weeks/months you'll get to a point where your body stops asking for sugar. Occasionally now I get a craving for sugar and I eventually give in .... one bite and I have to spit it out, sweet things just taste vile to me now.

12 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Cease eating any processed anything.  If it grew in dirt, walked on dirt, or swam in water, it's food, otherwise it's a burden on your body to process.

^ ^ This. If you only eat food in its near-as-possible-natural state you won't want as much food as everything you are putting into your body is useful to your body! The problem with junk food is that it is no use to your body, plus, your body still has to waste energy processing it. You soon feel hungry again.

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Gallbladder pain sucks.

I think it's appalling that this hasn't been dealt with yet. You shouldn't have to put up with it. It is a terrible pain and nothing eases it.

11 hours ago, and then said:

Overall intake can't be ignored but I really have found that I can shed pounds while eating 4k calories a day and doing nothing more than an extended walk at night.  5-6 miles in summer.  I know not everyone has that much time for walking but it works for me and has for nearly 5 years now.

This is astonishing! Usually people need to be on 2,000 or less(most likely 1,500), to lose weight. How much do you lose per month when eating 4k calories a day?

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Okay I get it. It would be like having  a sandwich for lunch and just a plate of food for dinner then nothing else. Right?

I'm not big on eating breakfast myself. I blame it on my sinuses. :lol:

Definitely ditch the sandwiches! You could start by having just one round of bread not two and focus on a healthy topping. There could be just one food item that is causing your sinus problems and the most likely culprit is sugar! (Bread upsets sinuses too) (and dairy).

10 hours ago, Piney said:

I do 90 pushups 90 reverse pushups and 30 sit ups every other day. The only carb I eat is jasmine rice, which is the healthiest and I do a apple, some cheese squares ( good aged stuff) and dark chocolate for breakfast,  a decent size lunch,  but just a salad and yogurt for dinner. Lots of fish also. 

I put a heaped teaspoon of organic cocoa powder(NOT drinking chocolate which has sugar and milk powder in it), in my muesli each morning. I think it quashes any desire for chocolate in unhealthy forms.

Calorie counting really does work! Do it for a week and you'll be shocked at how easy it is to add thousands of calories to your diet without even being aware of it ...... a tiny chunk of cheese here, a biscuit there .... a pot of yoghurt ..... a small bag of crisps ..... 

edit: forgot to say: initially your bowel/intestine problems may get worse BUT, what I have found is that after a while everything settles down and is better than it has been for decades! I think the initial upset is simply because of the change of foods that need processing. Good Luck!

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 2

Modern wheat, dairy, sugar, all causes of inflammation, particularly in the large intestine for people disposed to Crohn's, diverticulitis.  Dairy is a sleeper on most folks radar as it's so heavily subsidised by the gov't and the bloated dairy industry's endless campaigns such as 'milk does a body good'... load of rubbish.  When drinking milk consider that you are imbibing another mammal's reproductive enzymes.  Meant to turn a 60 lb calf into a 1,500 lb cow in a couple years.  Not natural for humans.  Not intended for your body.  hell... not even intended for an adult cow once its digestive system matures. 

The effects are not so noticable when young as the body is so vital and heals/recovers so readily, but as we age, it becomes more apparent the cost of such "foods".

28 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I sympathise with this as I had a raging sweet tooth all my life ..... until I gave up sugar all together. If you can stick it out for a few weeks/months you'll get to a point where your body stops asking for sugar. Occasionally now I get a craving for sugar and I eventually give in .... one bite and I have to spit it out, sweet things just taste vile to me now.

Good for you mate!  Sugar is akin to cocaine as it prompts/services the same dopamine receptors. that's a tough one to rewire out of the pleasure seeking process.  I envy you.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still struggle with sugar...

mine.jpg.01ff04607170a48a5205b0ccb71dfe3f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The "no eating after a certain time" is unfortunately a myth that just won't die. It came about as a method much in the same vein as intermittent fasting : to control calories and hold you accountable. The issue is that hunger can typically strike later in the day and people just start mindlessly eating. Your body's metabolism doesn't decrease to any appreciable degree, however, eating at night CAN blunt your body's natural release of growth hormone. Still, eating a small meal a couple hours before bed is just fine, so long as it is reasonably healthy. A gallon of ice cream before bed is obviously a bad idea. Now, controlling carbs before bed has some merit, as it again can inhibit GH release. What matters most is total calories, people tend to blank out towards the end of the day and end up eating excessively, but don't let anyone tell you that any food you take in past a certain time automatically gets stored as body fat. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

I still struggle with sugar...

mine.jpg.01ff04607170a48a5205b0ccb71dfe3f.jpg

I'm sure the cat helps curb your sweet tooth. :lol:

THE COACH IS HERE!!! I am in the same situation and have done this many times. First of all what you need to do is to make small changes in your life style and set up resonable goals, make a training and a food diary and make it a habit to walk 6 km every day try, to walk as fast as you can. I also recommend high intensity interval training or why not pick up boxing. check your diet get rid of the unhealthy stuff home cooked food is better than take away. Have you tried LCHF i lost 12kg in two months on that diet if you have heart problems talk to your doctor about the diet.  I can send you my training program and what to eat when you get your "munchies" :-P dont weigh yourself use a meassure tape instead. 

Edited by Impedancer

On 6/3/2019 at 7:39 AM, ouija ouija said:

I think it's appalling that this hasn't been dealt with yet. You shouldn't have to put up with it. It is a terrible pain and nothing eases it.

I see my doctor again in August and the gastroenterologist a week later.

So far on OMAD I have lost 7 pounds. 

• Like 1

Download MyFitnessPal for your phone, work out how many calories you need (use an online TDEE calculator), then track the calories you eat and make sure it's less. The simple way to do it is basically what @Imaginarynumber1 said. CICO - Calories in, Calories out. If you start tracking, you'll be extremely surprised just how much everything adds up.

MyFitnessPal also has a barcode scanner, so you can scan the food you consume and just need to adjust it for the portion size (I use food scales which are great for this), and it has a lot of other features like a goal weight that tracks your progress. I use it and it's super helpful. Eventually you'll have a pretty good idea of how much you're eating with just an estimate and you can watch your weight loss progress in a graph.

I also suggest joining at least 3 subreddits:

r/progresspics has people uploading their progress pics daily and it's been the single most motivating factor for me, every time I've lost weight. It's so inspiring seeing actual results of people who have been through it or are still in the process, and there are just so many people uploading every day. Like, seriously, loads. Log in every day and any time you're feeling a bit disheartened or annoyed, seeing where you could be will lift you up. (I even have a post on there of my mediocre transformation).

r/loseit is similar to progresspics, but the posters also add their personal story, or it can also be a way of venting or expressing worries about plateaus and stuff, and you can ask questions.

And r/fitness is great for any fitness questions you have and basically is just posts of everything exercise related.

There are other similar related subreddits that are more niche, like bodyweightfitness, one meal a day, intermittent fasting, strongcurves for if you want that big butt :D - basically Reddit is absolutely amazing for helping with weight loss and exercising. Join the first 3 for sure and see if any others they have suit you personally. 

Good luck.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Lost 10 pounds. One meal a day with a green smoothie.

Brilliant! Well done. Keep up the good work! :tsu:

• Thanks 1

Nice. That's how IF works, makes you realize just how little or how much you're really eating. Keep it up. You probably lost a good bit of water and bowel weight, as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Nice. That's how IF works, makes you realize just how little or how much you're really eating. Keep it up. You probably lost a good bit of water and bowel weight, as well. 

What amazed me the most was the amount of calories we can consume in a day. All without thinking. Can end up with anywhere between 1800 to over 3500 per day. My one meal averages between 1100 to maybe 2500. I've added a lot of fruit to it in order to curb my sweet tooth. That's the purpose of the smoothie. Fruit and veggie mix. I plan on keeping it up for life. Saves money and time. Plus I can pretty much eat whatever I wish so long as it fits on my plate. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqU8_UPK09E2RRt78CXJ2KQ A channel I watched that started me on omad.

Most are just sugar water. Fresh fruit is your friend. The only juices that are 100% juice tend to be found at higher end (read: expensive) places like trader Joe's, whole foods and supplement stores and are usually way overpriced. If you're blending whole fruit, you're getting phytonutrients, fiber and overall satisfaction. With juice, you're basically only getting the sugar from the fruit, which isn't so great for you in larger quantities. The least expensive one you'll run into will be pure cranberry juice, which does have a few benefits. Does fruit fiber upset your divers? 

I tend to make my smoothie with either an apple or banana in order to "sweeten" it up. I'm just looking for a way to add juice to what amounts too a pureed salad. 

• 2 weeks later...

@XenoFish
Intermittent fasting is pretty effective don't eat anything or very little between a scheduled time of about 8 ''waking'' hrs

So Fast between

8pm (Dinner) to about 10-30 11am the next day

Have your highest carb meal for lunch along with some protein

have a snack between lunch and dinner

high protein, high fat, low carb dinner

It works well for me as it can be adhered to without being a complete Gym-Bro. but we all have different body types so you just gotta find what suits you best :)

as for exercise if you just trying to lose body fat and not build muscle do some light cardio e.g light jogging a couple of sets of push-ups a day 

you can also try cutting sugar as you are providing an ungodly amount of energy for your body to burn instead of it burning fat. but man its so hard to do in this day and age.

oh also stay hydrated ;)

Good luck Xeno.

Edited by Ironside