Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

The psychology of Ouija

Still Waters

Well over 100 years ago scientists uncovered the forces at work during séances and Ouija board sessions. But, as this extract from Matthew Tompkins’ book ‘The Spectacle of Illusion’ shows, similar phenomena can still be used to extract money from the credulous.

https://wellcomecollection.org/articles/XO2LKRAAAENibaF7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ouija ouija

'The Psychology of Ouija'?! Excuse me, but I don't agree to this being open to discussion! :o

• Haha 9

jamesjr191
14 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

'The Psychology of Ouija'?! Excuse me, but I don't agree to this being open to discussion! :o

We need to study what makes you tick!:D

• Haha 2

ouija ouija
1 minute ago, jamesjr191 said:

We need to study what makes you tick!:D

I'd rather you didn't, if you don't mind!

• Haha 1

XenoFish
21 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

So what is the method to your madness? :lol:

• Haha 3

rashore
1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

But you are ouija ouija, not Ouija. So we aren't talking about you, we talking about that other Ouija :tu:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Impedancer
1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Sorry You have no choise :-) 

• Haha 1

XenoFish

I'm going to be saving that link in the OP for further use as needed.

• Like 1

papageorge1
10 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Well over 100 years ago scientists uncovered the forces at work during séances and Ouija board sessions. But, as this extract from Matthew Tompkins’ book ‘The Spectacle of Illusion’ shows, similar phenomena can still be used to extract money from the credulous.

I read the article and found it very unthorough. It just presents cases that seem to allow for their ideomotor theory.

A funny but true quote here is:  If you ignore the evidence that doesn't fit, the evidence fits nicely with the theory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

the13bats
Posted (edited)

The Ouija boards never provided answers that sitters themselves did not know.

^^^ :yes:^^^

yep, this is a bookmarker....of course true believers will get big kickers knots over it.

Edited by the13bats
typo
  • Haha 4

XenoFish
1 minute ago, the13bats said:

yep, this is a bookmarker....of course true believers will get big kickers knots over it.

It's a combination of the ideomotor effect and the subconscious. Nothing spooky scary skeletons going on.:lol:

• Like 2

the13bats
6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's a combination of the ideomotor effect and the subconscious. Nothing spooky scary skeletons going on.:lol:

nope, but i do have several boards a few really cheesy glow in dark ones, they do help me get thru a dark room with no toe stubbing :tu:

Bed of chaos
Posted (edited)

I used one over 20 years ago (alone in woods to create atmosphere of peace and quiet) It sure as hell wasn't a unconscious muscular spasm or psychological trick moving (forget term, planchette?) across board. Furthermore, I have no history of drug/psychiatric problems. The article seems like another skeptic/journalist who just wants to check something off his bucket list. Fyi: I won't post here again..in the past I've seen others become very emotional or belligerent (regarding ouija topic). So with that said, believe whatever makes your heart content, don't let me hold u back!

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love Buzz

I got a Ouija board for Christmas when I was about twelve years old. I remember friends coming over to play. We would ask stupid questions about the boys we had crushes on , what we wanted to be when we grew up , and other silly questions. Nothing happened after several attempts. The planchette never budged. My cousins came over and played with it as well. Again, nothing happened. The board ended up sitting down the basement collecting dust until I was a teenage when my dad threw it in the trash. The only positive thing I could say about my experience is that we were all honest and didn't move it on our own.

• Like 2

Hazzard
On 8/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, Bed of chaos said:

I used one over 20 years ago (alone in woods to create atmosphere of peace and quiet) It sure as hell wasn't a unconscious muscular spasm or psychological trick moving (forget term, planchette?) across board. Furthermore, I have no history of drug/psychiatric problems. The article seems like another skeptic/journalist who just wants to check something off his bucket list.

And I have seen true believers fight to the death to protect their favorite paranormal phenomenon, no matter how silly and futile... just because over the years they had invested so much time on it and made it "their own".

• Thanks 2

freetoroam

Since the late 1990s, non-functional detection devices with names such as ‘Sniffex’, ‘GT 200’ and ‘Alpha 6’ were sold by various scammers to governments throughout the world, including those of Iraq, Egypt, Syria, India, Thailand and Mexico. The World Peace Foundation of Tufts University, which tracks corruption related to international arms trading, estimates that fake bomb detectors generated more than $100 million in profit between 1999 and 2010.

Governments fall for the scammers, but the believers  use this as 'proof'. 

We have seen munerous times believers using the term "credible witness" because the "witness"  worked for the government or military. 

Well here is the PROOF that it means nothing because they too can be completely wrong.

• Like 1

the13bats
On 8/20/2019 at 2:07 PM, Bed of chaos said:

I used one over 20 years ago (alone in woods to create atmosphere of peace and quiet) It sure as hell wasn't a unconscious muscular spasm or psychological trick moving (forget term, planchette?) across board. Furthermore, I have no history of drug/psychiatric problems. The article seems like another skeptic/journalist who just wants to check something off his bucket list. Fyi: I won't post here again..in the past I've seen others become very emotional or belligerent (regarding ouija topic). So with that said, believe whatever makes your heart content, don't let me hold u back!

you mean blind faith true believers get all emotinal belligerent that their make believe delusion is real? or are you doing that new trollio tactic of trying to trigger a person claiming they are what you appear to be because you are all upset your stories are not taken as fact.

ive noticed "mental" is a taboo explanation where "paranormal" is accepted, a person with psychiatric problems thinking stuff like this is real isnt going to admit they have mental issues in fact they likely do not believe they do.

spirit boards would be if they worked easy to prove yet we have zero proof.

• Like 1

joc
2 hours ago, the13bats said:

you mean blind faith true believers get all emotinal belligerent that their make believe delusion is real? or are you doing that new trollio tactic of trying to trigger a person claiming they are what you appear to be because you are all upset your stories are not taken as fact.

ive noticed "mental" is a taboo explanation where "paranormal" is accepted, a person with psychiatric problems thinking stuff like this is real isnt going to admit they have mental issues in fact they likely do not believe they do.

hey Bud!!  If you can imagine it..then by god it's real!  Now get a grip and forget all that...well there ain't no proof jackerwall...just because there is proof of something does that mean you can imagine it?  See it works both ways...now...take them Nebulas...they are proved real...but can you imagine one?  No you can't ...see what I mean?  It's the same damn side of the coin buddy!  Just cause it's in your imagination don't make it not real...and just cause it's real don't mean you can imagine it?  Are you following me here boy?  *** s l o w y  saunters back off into the woods***

Bed of chaos
3 hours ago, the13bats said:

Actually, its more like "paranormal" is taboo. I'm not upset if experience isn't taken as fact and looking at other comments is precisely why I've never told story to ONE single person in my personal life. People are interested in unexplained phenomena. Perhaps someone close to you, family/friend, experienced something 'out of ordinary' but refuses to admit out of $*$* storm of criticism. If a pilot publicly admits he clearly saw something unusual in skies, he could risk losing his job, family, friends..and reputation. With that said, some users here (I haven't been on site very long) most likely do have psychiatric problems..agreed.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

the13bats
9 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

Actually, its more like "paranormal" is taboo. I'm not upset if experience isn't taken as fact and looking at other comments is precisely why I've never told story to ONE single person in my personal life. People are interested in unexplained phenomena. Perhaps someone close you family/friend experienced something 'out of ordinary' but refuses to admit out of $*$* storm of criticism. If a pilot publicly admits he clearly saw something unusual in skies, he could risk losing his job, family, friend..and reputation. With that said some users here (I haven't been on site very long) most likely do have psychiatric problems..agreed.

Happy you came back after saying you wouldnt,

there isnt much candy apple grey here, im not a blind faith gullible true believer since i require proof im labeled a sceptic here which is fine.

What i meant was for some calling an alleged event paranormal superstitious sits with them better than saying they have a mental issue i do fully understand and respect that especially if the person is sincere and doesnt go on some fruity ad hominem attack because for me to believe the story they told me i need some proof, a story is only enough to the gullible.

Do i think that you "believe" you had a planchette move from some outside force? sure, but do i personally believe Ouija planchettes move by paranormal supernatural means? no, not a chance, and they have been around centuries, zero proof that im mistaken,

the first thing a bftb will say is "it doesnt work like that" which of course is a cop out, next they say im not open or enlightened to it, where i reply asking if they have schizophrenia.

why are people criticized as you say for telling stories of alleged paranormal supernatural it starts with the fact that all they have are outlandish stories, some are open to any explanation but others get in a mindset of closed door biased , for example fred sees a weird light in the sky he doesnt know what it really is so he jumps right past "ufo" to it must be aliens.

we simply cannot reach a conclusion from "i dont know so it must be" another reason for ridicule is the simple fact seeing and hearing things that are really not there are very much symptoms of mental illness, so pilots for example who have lives in their hands must be examined carefully when they make extrodarnary claims, sure, they saw a light in the sky, we have to know if they really did or are mental.

so if you pressed me and insisted for my explanation of your planchette moving on its on i would reluctantly reply if you are not making it up, you have some delusion that could be a mental issue, it comes off a bit harsh, but it goes back to if you want me to respect you believe what you are saying no problem, you got it, but without proof do not ask me to believe your "story" im entitled to my own opinion,

this shouldnt upset a person comfortable in their belief but it always does.

Bed of chaos

Do you really believe you can determine if someone's mentally ill?  It's possible you are jumping the gun, brother. Not to be crude but are you a doctor? I'm certainly not. I'm very careful about labels. However, I have worked at numerous counseling centers. (t.s.s., i.c.m., psych tech, pharm tech)  perhaps thats irrelevant, so let's move on!!! Schizophrenia is based on numerous things. Diagnosis is based on reports of others familiar with the person. I highly doubt a psychiatrist would conclude someone's schizophrenic, based on one paragraph, ghost story, from unexplained mysteries. Next, culture also must be taken into account. Would you show up at indian reservation and assume a majority is schizophrenic? Probably not..I really don't know. Next, if someone's hearing or seeing things, there could be a hundred different explanations other than mental illness. Sleeping disorders, exploding head syndrome, extreme stress/anxiety, severe interaction w medication..thats not necessarily psychiatric medication (not to mention drugs w interactions still get prescribed and dispensed..I saw that everyday) With pilot situation I'd doubt theres hundred's of schizophrenic pilots flying around (and there have been hundreds if not thousands of reports). 'Outlandish stories" I doubt tales/reports are chronic issue, furthermore schizophrenia usually develops at young age and if there's a prior history of psychiatric problems/meds its checked before job. Last I don't think your "not open minded or enlightened". Your probably very intelligent. We just come to different conclusions.

Edited by Bed of chaos

brian100

Messing with Ouija board is the best way to get pestered by ghost everywhere you go. You will go mad. You will even start having sick thoughts.