Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who will the Democratic nominee be?

Vorg

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

It can't be stopped any more that Jet Airliners, locomotives, cars or any of the other technological advancements that eventually had the result of making our lives easier.

True and if you have ever seen the automated predictions in the movie WALL-E, that is probably a close prediction as to where we are headed in the future. At lest here on Earth, I don't know about traveling colonies in space though. But I can see future generations sitting on their fat butts having robots do everything for them. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katniss said:

True and if you have ever seen the automated predictions in the movie WALL-E, that is probably a close prediction as to where we are headed in the future. At lest here on Earth, I don't know about traveling colonies in space though. But I can see future generations sitting on their fat butts having robots do everything for them. :lol:

Or deciding they’re a waste of resources and going full terminator :gun:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katniss said:

I understand what you are saying and it is perfectly logical but I have found that predicting the future based on our present reality is usually a failure.  Look back at the last 30 years of these predictions and you see a huge miss and then top it off with Obama's excuses about the "new normal" and his failure to fix the economy in any way and then compare our economic reality today and you see what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Or deciding they’re a waste of resources and going full terminator :gun:

:) Okay, but don't forget about the possibility of being assimilated and turned into cyborgs too.

2 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I understand what you are saying and it is perfectly logical but I have found that predicting the future based on our present reality is usually a failure.  Look back at the last 30 years of these predictions and you see a huge miss and then top it off with Obama's excuses about the "new normal" and his failure to fix the economy in any way and then compare our economic reality today and you see what I mean.

So you're saying, that we may not be dependent on AI or robots to take over common service jobs in the future, such as transportation, the food service industry, medical surgery, administrative secretarial work, housing cleaning?

9 hours ago, Katniss said:

:) Okay, but don't forget about the possibility of being assimilated and turned into cyborgs too.

So you're saying, that we may not be dependent on AI or robots to take over common service jobs in the future, such as transportation, the food service industry, medical surgery, administrative secretarial work, housing cleaning?

I would say not all of it and neither do I know what jobs will be created in their place.  The world is changing but that never changes and somehow we always survive and grow as long as we don't blow each other up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Merc14 said:

remember "back to the future" movie, the one where they actually went to the future,  they had payphones that they thought would be in the future,  now is that future, we all have cell phones and payphones are thing of the past,  it pretty much shows you are spot on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I would say not all of it and neither do I know what jobs will be created in their place.  The world is changing but that never changes and somehow we always survive and grow as long as we don't blow each other up.

That's a good point. Years ago people were predicting we would have flying cars by now like in George Jetson, but on the other hand people were saying electric cars were never going to be on the roads or they were never going to stay on the roads.

Aztek gives another good example from the Back to the Future movies, but who would have believed hoverboards predicted true from those movies. I coudn't see how those would ever be possible, yet here they are.

So I understand what you mean. Predictions can be a hit and miss.

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Katniss said:

That's a good point. Years ago people were predicting we would have flying cars by now like in George Jetson, but on the other hand people were saying electric cars were never going to be on the roads or they were never going to stay on the roads.

Aztek gives another good example from the Back to the Future movies, but who would have believed hoverboards predicted true from those movies. I coudn't see how those would ever be possible, yet here they are.

I do agree with you, though, that we will see more and more automation in our everyday lives

• Like 2

I would argue that the creation of hoverboards is less a coincidence and more of an invention fully credited to B2tF for coming up with the idea. Btw, are there any fully functional hoverboards yet? I don't think so. Also, holograms are now pretty close to what they predicted, just not very widespread and commonplace.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

I would argue that the creation of hoverboards is less a coincidence and more of an invention fully credited to B2tF for coming up with the idea. Btw, are there any fully functional hoverboards yet? I don't think so. Also, holograms are now pretty close to what they predicted, just not very widespread and commonplace.

These are currently what they have so far and they're quite expensive,

https://www.floatingboard.com/real-hoverboard-price/

The Hendo Hoverboard seem to come close to the ones in the movie.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:27 AM, F3SS said:

That's a racket. Raise my taxes and I can get my basic needs met and beyond basic needs when it's my turn in a few months although the longer my hip is jacked the less I can work if at all. Or I can buy private insurance on top of my raised taxes and get better and quicker treatment. Doesn't sound very fair to the poor and regular folks who have to wait longer. That's what everyone is always yelling at us about, the poor being at a disadvantage.

Insurance companies and hospitals are certainly a racket but a government takeover is completely unacceptable.

That's why they want to ban private insurance.... :td:

It is an old Communist angle... Everyone should be EQUAL, so since we can't make everyone a millionaire, everyone has to be subsistence level. Everyone has to have the same CRAP opportunities, otherwise it ISN"T FAIR!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe people should vote for Biden. He said Obama was the first clean, articulate, African American. It sure is good to see he utters what he really believes.

• Haha 2

On 6/4/2019 at 6:38 AM, South Alabam said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/2020-presidential-candidates-who-is-running-for-president-here-are-the-democratic-candidates/

Kirsten Gillibrand, New York senator

Anyway, who do you hope becomes the nominee or wins, should the Democrats take next election, and why do you choose that person?

Because at a glance....

Gillibrand supports raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour, enforcing paid family leave, and closing the gender wage gap. She has proposed the implementation of tax incentives for companies that provide on-site child care. Gillibrand has created legislation that would give tax credits to small businesses. She also supports the institution of a federal job guarantee and the providing of training to workers whose jobs are threatened by automation.[8]

I think she has this backwards but meh...having a bunch of illegal aliens in the country WITH GUNS could prove to be much worse than the mass shootings which don't occur anywhere near as frequently as illegals flowing over the border, criminals or not.  I'd like to see her make the border a priority there instead although she prob wont as her other policies conflict with this (see next) 

Gillibrand said that mass shootings are the real emergency, not illegal immigration.

And her immigration stance....

n June 2015, Gillibrand was one of 33 senators who signed a letter criticizing the Obama administration's immigration detentionpolicies, saying the practice is "unacceptable and goes against our most fundamental values."[18][19][20] She has strongly condemnded most aspects of the Trump administration's immigration policy, including President Trump's plan for a border wall, his declaration of an emergency on the southern border, and his support for family separation.[8] Gillibrand also supports abolishing the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Could prove to be good or could prove to be very, very bad.

I think this next one is an absolutely wonderful idea and Australia really needs to get it's butt into gear and follow the USA's way of thinking in relation to medicinal cannabis etc. 

Gillibrand supports the legalization of cannabis at the federal level.

I'm all for green energies and everything we can do to help our planet for future generations.

Severe weather is the greatest threat to humanity we have…When severe weather hits, people die. It destroys communities...The first thing is to invest in our green energies, wind, solar, geothermal, Hydropower, nuclear, and biofuels. We were the inventors of solar panels and wind. We let that manufacturing go to China because we did not guarantee the tax benefits to make it work here. So, why not make a commitment? Not only to these new energies but to the job training. Second, infrastructure… Last, clean air and clean water… no child should have to drink water out of a faucet that is tainted … It is an ambition for the future that we should all get behind.

At this point I quite like her.  I don't agree with all of her stances, but I don't think we ever do.  However, I do like what she puts forward and brings to the table.   I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  :) 

In relation to who I think should win the next election - that's kinda tough at this stage.  I guess it will come down to,.... may the best man or woman win on the day!  Personally, I think the USA should register voters in accordance with their date of birth, their address and you should be made to present our driver's license or ID at the time of voting so your vote can be counted as authentic.  It shows that you are indeed over the age of 18 and you're entitled to vote etc.  Here it's compulsory and I like that.  Part of being a citizen is that you're a registered voter and it is your responsibility to vote to ensure the people have their say in the local/state/country leadership.  That should alleviate any dramas like the last election and the midterms.  That's how we do it here in Australia and it's always been that way. It's normal and nobody complains about it.  Show how progressive you can be and make the change! :D 

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 2

On 03/07/2019 at 6:05 PM, Katniss said:

No they're not, they're just skateboards. They don't hover. 

Good to see Acidhead continuing to provide his always helpful supply of memes. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, acidhead said:

FB_IMG_1563686687610.jpg

So you're going for old KFC dude-look-alike then? :lol: 

yv8bd.jpg

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 7/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, Katniss said:

But I can see future generations sitting on their fat butts having robots do everything for them. :lol:

They've started already I think, going by the amount of people who feel Apple's Siri, Google's Now, Amazon's Alexa and various other devices they think are helpful!  Ugh!!! :lol: 

• Like 2

The entirety of the Democratic candidates is so underwhelming that Hoverboards have become the biggest topic of conversation.

Honestly though, I'd rather vote for a hoverboard than a democrat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

And this is a more convincing campaign than what we've seen so far.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F3SS said:

The entirety of the Democratic candidates is so underwhelming that Hoverboards have become the biggest topic of conversation.

Honestly though, I'd rather vote for a hoverboard than a democrat.

:D I want a hoverboard, unfortunately I don't think I could afford one. Apparently they are very expensive. Oh well, I would probably fall off it and break my neck anyway.

And besides everybody knows it's very rare to beat an incumbent president. So there is not much for Trump fans to worry about. Just the house and senate for the next four years.

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/tulsi-gabbard-sues-google-alleging-election-interference-after-dem-debate/ar-AAERruo?li=BBnbfcL

Tulsi Gabbard sues Google, alleging 'election interference' after Dem debate

Gabbard, a military veteran and congresswoman from Hawaii, is an outsider candidate who has often been at odds with her fellow progressives.

Conservatives have long charged that Google discriminates against conservatives, and the Justice Department on Tuesday announced a sweeping antitrust review into large technology companies.
“Google’s discriminatory actions against my campaign are reflective of how dangerous their complete dominance over internet search is, and how the increasing dominance of big tech companies over our public discourse threatens our core American values," Gabbard said in a statement. "This is a threat to free speech, fair elections and to our democracy, and I intend to fight back on behalf of all Americans.”

Specifically, Gabbard claimed that multiple news reports indicated she was the most searched candidate on Google following the first Democratic primary debate on June 26. "Then, without any explanation, Google suspended Tulsi's Google Ads account," her office said in a statement, that called the move "arbitrary and capricious."

"Big Tech’s dominance represents a clear and present danger to our democracy," Gabbard's team said.

In a statement to Fox News, Google acknowledged that Gabbard's account had been suspended by its internal "system," but denied Gabbard's charges.

"We have automated systems that flag unusual activity on all advertiser accounts -- including large spending changes -- in order to prevent fraud and protect our customers," a Google spokesperson said. "In this case, our system triggered a suspension and the account was reinstated shortly thereafter. We are proud to offer ad products that help campaigns connect directly with voters, and we do so without bias toward any party or political ideology."

Like Google is to be believed. I quit using their spy service years ago.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked