Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When does thought transition to belief?

quiXilver

22 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Thank you. One of the great things about Australia is our education system. Another is our social welfare.   A third is our medical system, including our  universal insurance  system which supports poorer people.     None  are perfect, but they work pretty well 

Well we all love where we are from. 

I will say Psyche seems to have taken advantage of the educational system. 

But, he is also driven by curiosity. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I've read all of yours, but you will never know  this :) 

Easily summarised as "woe is me"

58 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

wow the absolute legal minimum you can pay a person in Australia (on the books)  is about 20 dollars an hour (about 15 dollars american ) I pay young people  20-30 dollars an hour to wash my car or pull up weeds    

Can't believe I'm saying this, but you're exactly right. That's why the American minimum wage is absurd. Though most Americans are oblivious to it's absurdity anyway, just like they are with the healthcare system.

Anyway, I'm getting off this topic. Don't want to derail any further. Once you get me on my soap box here, it'll be hard to get me off. :lol:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Your prices are scaled up,  proportionate to your wages, too. 

Not sure about this. True for some things like gasoline. But things like medical are much cheaper and often free

Indices Difference Info
Consumer Prices in United States are 1.57% lower than in Australia
Consumer Prices Including Rent in United States are 3.92% higher than in Australia
Rent Prices in United States are 16.40% higher than in Australia
Restaurant Prices in United States are 1.92% higher than in Australia
Groceries Prices in United States are 1.75% higher than in Australia
Local Purchasing Power in United States is 1.28% lower than in Australia

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=United+States

35 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Well we all love where we are from. 

I will say Psyche seems to have taken advantage of the educational system. 

But, he is also driven by curiosity. 

True, but statistically, and in world wide surveys, Australia rates ether first, or in the top few countries, where people want to live ;) 

its very subjective but numerous surveys put australia well within the top 10 countries to live in 

1. Norway. The United Nations listed Norway as the best country to live in primarily because all of the factors the researchers took into consideration were good marks on behalf of Norway. ...
  2. Australia. ...
  3. Switzerland. ...
  4. Germany. ...
  5. Denmark. ...
  6. Singapore. ...
  7. The Netherlands. ...
  8. Ireland.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-countries-to-live-in/

These 10 countries have the best quality of life
  • Sweden.
  • Norway. ...
  • Australia. ...
  • Switzerland. Zurich, Switzerland. ...
  • Finland. Helsinki, Finland. ...
  • Netherlands. Amsterdam, The Netherlands. ...
  • New Zealand. New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere Harbour, Elevated View over Devenport towards CBD with Sky Tower at dawn. ...
  • Germany. Hamburg, Germany. ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/27/us-news-world-report-10-countries-with-the-best-quality-of-life.html

48 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You don’t miss anything.:P

lol It must mean that 2/3rds of your posts don't mean anything to him, as they are responses to mine :)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Not sure about this. True for some things like gasoline. But things like medical are much cheaper and often free

Indices Difference Info
Consumer Prices in United States are 1.57% lower than in Australia
Consumer Prices Including Rent in United States are 3.92% higher than in Australia
Rent Prices in United States are 16.40% higher than in Australia
Restaurant Prices in United States are 1.92% higher than in Australia
Groceries Prices in United States are 1.75% higher than in Australia
Local Purchasing Power in United States is 1.28% lower than in Australia

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=United+States

You're a good man, Mr Walker--there just ain't no demand for'em.

49 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You're a good man, Mr Walker--there just ain't no demand for'em.

lol I choose communities to live in where character counts for everything  That helps me to be respected,  but also means my community is a good caring sharing one. There is always a demand for good men and women, and there are plenty of them.  It is just that it is harder to find them in big communities 

Maybe I am lucky, maybe it's my genes, maybe the way I was raised, but i just don't get the angst, fears, and  anger;  and hence pain and suffering,  which many people seem unable to avoid in their lives  

I mean I understand it intellectually, and its psychological and sociological causes, but it is beyond my personal experience. 

About 10 years ago now, I got rid of broadcast/cable/sattelite tv.  Realized one day I couldn't tolerate the steady barrage of thinking other people's thoughts coloring and flavoring my sense of reality in subtle and dramatic manners, of having an endless stream of thoughts offered up without a moment's break between.  This soon led to letting go of the radio and a great paring down of how much news and from what sources I will choose to read.

A month break from all social/digital media as an experimental mind fast, turned into a year long experience of gratefully not daily inundating myself with the thoughts of anyone but those I came in direct contact with... the resulting internal silence that developed has resulted in a contentment, even in the midst of great challenge that I wouldn't have thought possible years ago, nor would I trade it for anything.

Particularly in that from television/radio and the net, so many of the offered thoughts are designed to instill sense of loss, fear, or sub-standard self.

"Take great care what you allow yourself to think, as this becomes your experience of reality."  Attributed to The Buddha.  It's remarkably relevant in my life. 

So often each day, we think the same thoughts we thought yesterday... and many of our thoughts, are not our own, but offered to us by the world about us.  Thinking in words is an example of thinking other's thoughts that often goes under the radar, unless of course you're making up your own words.  So many of our belief/thoughts are driven deep into our subconscious conditioning and drive our impulses.  This is perhaps why at the cornerstone of internal freedom, cultivating silence and allowing many of the social avenues to atrophy with increased secusion for a time are so beneficial and touted by so many long established lineages?

Beliefs, a form of thought.  Come from many sources... How many of them I often find myself ruminating... are sourced within, and how many were given/offered or bludgeoned from outside? 

Doubt and silence are perhaps two of my greatest allies and in wrestling with thought, belief and perception of reality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

True, but statistically, and in world wide surveys, Australia rates ether first, or in the top few countries, where people want to live ;) 

its very subjective but numerous surveys put australia well within the top 10 countries to live in 

1. Norway. The United Nations listed Norway as the best country to live in primarily because all of the factors the researchers took into consideration were good marks on behalf of Norway. ...
  2. Australia. ...
  3. Switzerland. ...
  4. Germany. ...
  5. Denmark. ...
  6. Singapore. ...
  7. The Netherlands. ...
  8. Ireland.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-countries-to-live-in/

These 10 countries have the best quality of life
  • Sweden.
  • Norway. ...
  • Australia. ...
  • Switzerland. Zurich, Switzerland. ...
  • Finland. Helsinki, Finland. ...
  • Netherlands. Amsterdam, The Netherlands. ...
  • New Zealand. New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere Harbour, Elevated View over Devenport towards CBD with Sky Tower at dawn. ...
  • Germany. Hamburg, Germany. ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/27/us-news-world-report-10-countries-with-the-best-quality-of-life.html

I love where I live, I live an amazing beach lifestyle, I have no desire to live in any other countries. Yet,  I will be visiting other countries in the next few years, such as, Japan, Bali, France And Italy, Australia is not on my list though unless it is where Psyche resides.

My son likes Germany, Amsterdam, France, and Turkey so far. 

My husband has been to Africa, Italy, London, and Bahrain, but loved Miami Beach Florida and California the best

I know many folks who have traveled the world and I always ask what did they think was the best place, interestingly they choose between New York and California. 

The US is an incredibly beautiful place, we have been all over and I have been to Canada. 

But who knows, once I have been to a few countries I may change my mind. 

I looked at your comparison link, I am out all the time, we dine, we vacation, we belong to gyms, we shop, we shop at Whole Foods and Bristol Farms for food, we rent, the list is way off. We don’t pay wha the list says, lol

Granted we rent very close to the beach, to be on the beach my rent would go up 300 dollars a month your list is way off. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 11:02 AM, Jodie.Lynne said:

ON TOPIC:

"When does thought Transition to Belief?"

When an individual ONLY refers to material that re-enforces their 'thought', ignoring all data, thoughts, and premises that contradict their 'thought'.

"I think all Ferengi are shifty, criminally minded con men."  But, I will only refer to sources that agree with me, ignoring all contrary data.

You've pretty much described the common sense fallacy as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, quiXilver said:

About 10 years ago now, I got rid of broadcast/cable/sattelite tv.  Realized one day I couldn't tolerate the steady barrage of thinking other people's thoughts coloring and flavoring my sense of reality in subtle and dramatic manners, of having an endless stream of thoughts offered up without a moment's break between.  This soon led to letting go of the radio and a great paring down of how much news and from what sources I will choose to read.

A month break from all social/digital media as an experimental mind fast, turned into a year long experience of gratefully not daily inundating myself with the thoughts of anyone but those I came in direct contact with... the resulting internal silence that developed has resulted in a contentment, even in the midst of great challenge that I wouldn't have thought possible years ago, nor would I trade it for anything.

Particularly in that from television/radio and the net, so many of the offered thoughts are designed to instill sense of loss, fear, or sub-standard self.

"Take great care what you allow yourself to think, as this becomes your experience of reality."  Attributed to The Buddha.  It's remarkably relevant in my life. 

So often each day, we think the same thoughts we thought yesterday... and many of our thoughts, are not our own, but offered to us by the world about us.  Thinking in words is an example of thinking other's thoughts that often goes under the radar, unless of course you're making up your own words.  So many of our belief/thoughts are driven deep into our subconscious conditioning and drive our impulses.  This is perhaps why at the cornerstone of internal freedom, cultivating silence and allowing many of the social avenues to atrophy with increased secusion for a time are so beneficial and touted by so many long established lineages?

Beliefs, a form of thought.  Come from many sources... How many of them I often find myself ruminating... are sourced within, and how many were given/offered or bludgeoned from outside? 

Doubt and silence are perhaps two of my greatest allies and in wrestling with thought, belief and perception of reality.

Interesting, we each find what works for us best.

Sounds really cool. 

I am going to a silence meditation retreat in Dec, for a week. No communication for a week. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

30000 posts 5000 likes.

given the contentious  nature of many of my posts i am more than content with that ratio.

Nothing like your own of course.

21000 likes for 14000 posts  

You know that's meaningless, don't you?

Confused, Sad, Haha, Thanks, or Like - they're all the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

You know that's meaningless, don't you?

Confused, Sad, Haha, Thanks, or Like - they're all the same.

Actually you can check the breakdown of each of these both for  ones you have given and ones you receive. (or a t least so i just discovered on my home page today) 

I have 

4708 likes

151 thanks

171 laughs

50 confused

10 sad 

Which is about what i would expect. 

I don't give out many  myself.

I've only given

2574 likes in 14 years, and only 7 laughs  and one sad. 

Edited by Mr Walker

16 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Actually you can check the breakdown of each of these both for  ones you have given and ones you receive. (or a t least so i just discovered on my home page today)  

4708 likes

151 thanks

171 laughs

It would say you aren’t resonating much. You have been on here 14 years. 

Edited by Sherapy

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I love where I live, I live an amazing beach lifestyle, I have no desire to live in any other countries. Yet,  I will be visiting other countries in the next few years, such as, Japan, Bali, France And Italy, Australia is not on my list though unless it is where Psyche resides.

My son likes Germany, Amsterdam, France, and Turkey so far. 

My husband has been to Africa, Italy, London, and Bahrain, but loved Miami Beach Florida and California the best

I know many folks who have traveled the world and I always ask what did they think was the best place, interestingly they choose between New York and California. 

The US is an incredibly beautiful place, we have been all over and I have been to Canada. 

But who knows, once I have been to a few countries I may change my mind. 

I looked at your comparison link, I am out all the time, we dine, we vacation, we belong to gyms, we shop, we shop at Whole Foods and Bristol Farms for food, we rent, the list is way off. We don’t pay wha the list says, lol

Granted we rent very close to the beach, to be on the beach my rent would go up 300 dollars a month your list is way off. 

It is not my list One was from the united nations and the other from a business organisation. Both were  quite recent (2018 ) ithink I am more inclined to take official figures than personal ones Eg where we live accomodation and housing is very cheap, food is cheap, telecommunications is extremely cheap, medical is free, but fuel and air fares are  quite expensive,  with fuel much more so than in the capital cities The costs would be very different for a city dweller  

Because i travel all over the world  via astral projection  :) I've never had any desire to go to the trouble and expense of real overseas travel We have travelled all over Australia but since my wifes stroke The longest trip I take is to our regional centre (about140ks round trip) once week  Only been to our state capital city 4 times in 20 years, and each time was for medical reasons with two of the trips being on the royal flying doctor service, one on angel flight, and one paid for 

All my family lives locally and I have everything i need in my home town.  Plus i meet my needs "internally" rather than via external stimuli   It takes 3 libraries to keep me supplied with books and magazines dvds etc.  and then I also read many books online. 

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

See the full post. I dont give many likes, and i don't really ask for  or expect any, so I think the numbers are reasonable  I am not here to be liked or resonate  :) If i gave a lot more likes I am sure i would receive more, just from  people's natural politeness and reciprocity. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

It is not my list One was from the united nations and the other from a business organisation. Both were  quite recent (2018 ) ithink I am more inclined to take official figures than personal ones Eg where we live accomodation and housing is very cheap, food is cheap, telecommunications is extremely cheap, medical is free, but fuel and air fares are  quite expensive,  with fuel much more so than in the capital cities The costs would be very different for a city dweller  

Because i travel all over the world  via astral projection  :) I've never had any desire to go to the trouble and expense of real overseas travel We have travelled all over Australia but since my wifes stroke The longest trip I take is to our regional centre (about140ks round trip) once week  Only been to our state capital city 4 times in 20 years, and each time was for medical reasons with two of the trips being on the royal flying doctor service, one on angel flight, and one paid for 

All my family lives locally and I have everything i need in my home town.  Plus i meet my needs "internally" rather than via external stimuli   It takes 3 libraries to keep me supplied with books and magazines dvds etc.  and then I also read many books online. 

This sounds silly, that you would prefer to pretend going places as opposed to actually going. 

FYI, The list you posted is off for where I am. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I don't think he and I need to compare numbers.:lol:

I'm not sure, but I think I have the UM high score.:P

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I have 

4708 likes

151 thanks

171 laughs

50 confused

10 sad 

Which is about what i would expect. 

I don't give out many  myself.

I've only given

2574 likes in 14 years, and only 7 laughs  and one sad. 

I think the 50 confused might be all mine...... :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm not sure, but I think I have the UM high score.:P

It seems the more you belly-ache, the more they like it ! Keep up the good work !

Just now, psyche101 said:

I think the 50 confused might be all mine...... :unsure2:

na!  I wont name names, but a few individuals struggle with some of my points,  because they are so outside their own experiences and world views, or beliefs and values. 

Ever since i was a child ive struggled to comprehend how some (often a majority of )  people have such strange views,and I've always enjoyed challenging common ideas stereotypes beliefs etc and presenting alternative ones. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This sounds silly, that you would prefer to pretend going places as opposed to actually going. 

FYI, The list you posted is off for where I am. 

Keeps the carbon footprint under control.

• Haha 1