Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When does thought transition to belief?

quiXilver

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Well what do you know I think the same of you and you are correct I am not always profound or wise.

I am here to learn and do.

Why you here, that should be your focus, 

You won't learn much by high-fiving people who are  agreeing with you.

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Maybe you should try some civil interaction with us instead of making asinine comments all the time? 

You know, grow your perspective some. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I think this applies to you more than anything. 

As I am having engaging conversation with many brilliant posters, at times this has included you too.

Get in there Habbies, try and hold your own as an intelligent poster and there are times you do.

Focus on you hun, I am not having the issues, you are. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe you should try some civil interaction with us instead of making asinine comments all the time? 

You know, grow your perspective some. 

Your perspective is an incredibly dismal and desolate one, and no attraction at all. A round-the-clock misery guts !

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Focus on you hun, I am not having the issues, you are. 

Of course, perhaps I should start stalking "Wally" Walker !

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Your perspective is an incredibly dismal and desolate one, and no attraction at all. A round-the-clock misery guts !

You don't know me. You only know a tiny sliver of my persona. I think of you as a self-centered egotist with fragile beliefs, am I correct? Are am I only seeing just one aspect of you that you're presenting to everyone? Am I wrong about your character? If so, why not change my perception of you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Of course, perhaps I should start stalking "Wally" Walker !

This is your spin on Walker.

Say what you want, but he gets in there and he tries, for me, he is a rich source of learning. 

Remember, I am here to grow and learn.

For me, your feedback on me is the same as 8 bits and Psyche and many others.

You sound jealous, I don’t see you trying to showcase your intellect at all.

Why not direct your energy to your own posts. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Say what you want, but he gets in there and he tries, for me, he is a rich source of learning. 

Because he can't switch his point-of-view to his audience and see himself from the other side of the lectern. He's oblivious to the impression-or lack of one--he's making. He's a former teacher, accustomed to captive audiences who must attend, diligently to his lectures to make the grade.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You don't know me. You only know a tiny sliver of my persona. I think of you as a self-centered egotist with fragile beliefs, am I correct? Are am I only seeing just one aspect of you that you're presenting to everyone? Am I wrong about your character? If so, why not change my perception of you. 

I only know what you post, in profusion, and it oozes jadedness and cynicism. But it hasn't entirely consumed you, the door is still slightly ajar.

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Because he can't switch his point-of-view to his audience and see himself from the other side of the lectern. He's oblivious to the impression-or lack of one--he's making. He's a former teacher, accustomed to captive audiences who must attend, diligently to his lectures to make the grade.

Teacher?  I would have never guessed, doesn’t seem apparent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

....I don't think of him at all...lol

...just saying......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

You are a seeker, as are all here, one way or another. Everyone has a provisional "world view", painstakingly created in many cases, and naturally we are not overly tolerant of radical deviations from it, if we are open to changing out views, we prefer it to be a steady, unforced process. As it should be, it is necessary to be conservative in such matters. I think the real problems come when we fail to recognize that different people, with different experiences, will have different perspectives, and so might we have had, if life had taken us down a different path. In light of that, dogmatic assertions, especially surrounding age-old "unexplained mysteries", appear to have more the flavour of trying to nail down our current prejudices, that can't realistically be nailed down, and especially when there is no seeming need to do so, ought not be attempted, but suggest the real motives are internal and psychological, and not necessarily giving primacy to openness to the truth, whatever it may be, and however unpalatable, or divergent from our current world view, it is. That isn't growth, it is stagnation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Teacher?  I would have never guessed, doesn’t seem apparent. 

Maybe I'm going senile, but I thought he taught grade school for forty years or something. Oh, my bad. That post just "mentions" Wally.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, joc said:

...just saying......

I take that as a compliment, coming from you, joc, still reeling as I am, from some of your inanities.

headphones.jpg.27433fa8f282598a756c2644fa6fdf37.jpg

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

It is not pretend :) 

Althoughit may be something other than just projectionof consciousness

I can check for topographical geographical and other accuracies online these days  Also it is free totally comfortable there are no dangers etc I get full sensory experience, with sights, sounds, smells and touch. 

Yeah but you don't get to be mistaken for someone else by the Tourist Police in Jamaica.

14 hours ago, Sherapy said:

You don’t know, you are pretending it is the same without actually knowing. 

My son is coming home from Turkey haven’t seen him for a year, we are surprising him:we will pick him up at the airport in a Tesla X we have rented and wisk him off to Las Vegas for a few days ( belated 21 birthday) we are staying at the Wynn, in a luxury suite, google it. He has no idea. 

It will be a memory we will cherish the rest of our lives, along with the experience, worth every penny, worth the effort. My son is serving his country and he deserves to be honored and have the time of his life when he is on leave. 

We make memories by living our lives.

Please dont tell me what i do know, or do not know.

Clearly what IS impossible  is for you to know what is real or not in my life. 

And a memory of an inner experience is just as real, vivid, and long lasting as a memory like this ,  and can be accompanied by just as powerful emotions as a real event  BOTH depend on factors like how vividly you experience it, your emotions a the time, how well you embed the memory in your long term memories  and the context surrounding the memory. 

Of course i have no argument that it is worthy of you to welcome your son home  , to be proud of him, and to cherish this memory.

Memories come equally from  physical experiences and mental experiences. The strongest, most long lasting, are those accompanied by heightened emotional states.

In the future, because both are stored in  the same way in the brain, a memory of an exciting dream is exactly the same as a memory of a real event  

14 hours ago, Sherapy said:

It doesn’t reflect in your like post count. :P

How could it be reflected in my post count? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joc said:

...just saying......

I know he goes, or did go, fishing around my area.  He can't be all bad.  

But we've got different ideas on that too.

4 hours ago, Sherapy said:

You do seem to have created a life out of living vicariously through others, while I can appreciate that humans all do this time to time as a way to inspire goals or fulfill dreams, and aspire to greater accomplishments, or try novel things to find what makes them happy via trial and error  Unless you are in a prison of some kind and and this is your only option. Engaging with life is imperative and those that don’t can end up depressed, we need to be on the front lines of life  living, feeling, engaging, trying new things. 

One can miss having the sense of empowerment that comes from the journey to one’s dreams by avoiding life. 

While you don't come off in text as a happy person to me who has a passion for living, I sure wish this for you.

That's your interpretation based on your own life 

Try believing that everything i post about my life is true, and you will see that it has been filled to the brim with real adventures since i was a young child. i dont need to live vicariously 

I engage with life, with people, and with the environment, every moment of the day, in one form or another. 

lol I am possibly the happiest person on this forum. i am certainly among the top happiest people I have ever met in real life.

Again, however, you don't believe people can live in a constant state of joy, wonder, empowerment and contentment 

I dont get over -emotional/demonstrative, but i do have an intellectual passion for life and living. 

For me mental stimulation is more critical than physical stimulation and one of the things i enjoy about UM is the mental stimulation it provides me.

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

ha ha ha! :)  captive and diligent audiences? i don't think so. Since the early seventies, when i began teaching, the primary method of a teacher has been to engage students with; wit, humour charm personality and character. They are neither captive nor,  usually, diligent  Once you have them engaged, THEN you can begin teaching 

Lectures went out decades ago. (and i have NEVER spoken to a class from a lectern.) From on the table or desk, lying on the floor,  or suspended from the ceiling, yes; but never from  a lectern  Activity based learning by individuals and groups has been the norm  for decades. I took my students out of class, as as much as possible, to learn in the field

I can see another's point of view and even appreciate it, but mine is always superior :)  (or i would change it to a better one)  

29 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Yeah but you don't get to be mistaken for someone else by the Tourist Police in Jamaica.

And that is a bonus.  :)  
 I can, and do, engage with locals to find out historical backgrounds etc/. if the y can speak English.   Ive had to explain to some that I am not really present with them but that i am a projection of consciousness all the way from  Australia . However, you can eat the food, and appreciate it's flavour  One bonus is that you can explore underwater without breathing gear .