Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When does thought transition to belief?

quiXilver

8 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

That's the function of the cerebellum.

What you seemed to be describing was a cognitive measurement of, among others, the Coriolis Effect.

I doubt Walter Lindrum considered variables such as a coefficient of rolling resistance, coefficient of restitution, coefficient of friction or moment of inertia.  His ability is explained by concepts such Unconscious Competence and Muscle Memory.

Thank you, having an understanding of the brain and how it  functions is everything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Yea, that's not true either.  I've seen evidence for Bigfoot posted here, I've seen evidence that 9/11 is an inside job, I've even seen some evidence suggesting that Van Gogh was Jack the Ripper (it wasn't great evidence, but it was far more than you've ever provided).  Thus, there's evidence being transferred all the time here concerning unexplained mysteries.

What studies show that memory is retained forever?

Agreed, although I don't think you were ever dunking.  Likewise, I suspect your days of perfect, or even above average, memory are done also.

Case in point.  You just happened to be listening to one of Australia's top neurologist recently who just so happens to have said things relevant to exactly what we are talking about and who you say of course supports your position, yet you don't remember his/her name.  Thought it might have been an opportune time to compare what was said to what you remembered being said since this story looks awfully convenient, but nevermind, the point about your memory has been made.

Why would i remember her name?

I could tell you what i was doing and where i was on a long stretch of road because that is where my attention was. i was  listening with interest to her talk, but not her name. 

To me evidences are things which go to proving or disproving something.

i may have a difernt mindset, but ive never encountered such evidences on Um and really not in any media.  They are presented as claims which must be believed or not Thus they  are only evidence to the original person involved  or until you physically test them for yourself.

A transfer requires the recipient to be open to and accepting of,  the evidences.  I would not be accepting of anything presented in any media until i verified it for myself. 

ps i had a quick search online and couldn't find the programme but the y did say that all the programmes are pod cast so it is available for you to find if you truly don't believe me.

pps dunking was banned when i played  basketball and also banned on most play areas due to damage done to rings etc.   However i could jump high enough to place the ball in the basket and to clear a farm fence with cyclone wire and 3 barbed wires strung on top (over a metre high)  If I placed my hands above my head i reached over 2 metres.  Jumping over a metre gave me a reach long enough to place the ball in the basket  (about 3 metres above ground)   However, as it was not allowed we didn't use or practice it.  (sometimes we did it for showing off, if no one  in authority was watching ) As a teacher i had the job of stopping students from  using it because so many hoops were torn from the back boards by kids

i was good enough at a  shot from outside the key and even from the 3 point line  (after many hours of practice) 

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I could tell you what i was doing and where i was on a long stretch of road because that is where my attention was. i was  listening with interest to her talk, but not her name. 

i may have a difernt mindset, but ive never encountered such evidences on Um and really not in any media.  They are presented as claims which must be believed or not Thus they  are only evidence to the original person involved  or until you physically test them for yourself.

A transfer requires the recipient to be open to and accepting of,  the evidences.  I would not be accepting of anything presented in any media until i verified it for myself. 

ps i had a quick search online and couldn't find the programme but the y did say that all the programmes are pod cast so it is available for you to find if you truly don't believe me.

pps dunking was banned when i played  basketball and also banned on most play areas due to damage done to rings etc.   However i could jump high enough to place the ball in the basket and to clear a farm fence with cyclone wire and 3 barbed wires strung on top (over a metre high)  If I placed my hands above my head i reached over 2 metres.  Jumping over a metre gave me a reach long enough to place the ball in the basket  (about 3 metres above ground)   However, as it was not allowed we didn't use or practice it.  (sometimes we did it for showing off, if no one  in authority was watching ) As a teacher i had the job of stopping students from  using it because so many hoops were torn from the back boards by kids

i was good enough at a  shot from outside the key and even from the 3 point line  (after many hours of practice) 

Well you did say that this top Neurologist contradicted the Neurologist I work for on memory we are interested in looking into this. 
My boss would be interested too. Lol 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Sergey Bubka couldn't dunk and his standing reach would have been close to 2.5 metres.  The world record vaulter said the main issue was the size of his hands.

But your 40" vertical leap puts you into a tier that is only occupied by the best athletes on the planet; better than most NBA players.

how-good-is-your-vertical-jump-infograph

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No its not vague or subjective. It's clearly defined in the dictionary. 

very unusual or remarkable.

That's not vague or subjective. 

Probability is more influential. That's why people who also have wild claims themselves tend to be your largest audience. 

There are no absolutes. Everything is accepted on probability. Apples exist. People eat them. If you claimed to eat an apple everyday, and someone cared enough to know if it was true, that question can be confirmed by surveillance. If you lied, well that would just be a stupid thing to do wouldn't it? Fact is that the probability is high that the information is correct. If it is not, and is important to someone, then that can be determined. 

No that's a rendition of the Holmsian Fallacy. 

And can put a claim into perspective. 

Have you been to the centre of the earth? 

They are not possibilities. They are anecdotes. Physics refutes ghosts, and there's simply no good reason to think aliens have been to earth. 

The probability of those claims being accurately described by superstition and visitation is extraordinarily low. If any of them have any validity, there's every reason to accept that more rational explanations are of a much higher probability. Its even more likely that people imagine or convince themselves of such extraordinary instances are themselves impaired in some way rather than all the gathered knowledge of our species. 

No its not logical. That's not how anything works. Remember that there are no absolutes. That doesn't open the door for every overactive imagination on the planet. Consulting probability is what is logical. 

Then why did you tell your parents that you saw God, instead of truck headlights? 

If they brought you up like that, why wouldn't they suspend belief at your god story? 

Again probability leads us. That's why we consider Europa a good place to start looking. Water offers 'a' higher probability of life existing. A source of potential heat increases that probability. This can lead us to confirm the highest probability. 

A person who thinks they are Napoleon considers themselves in possession of knowledge that to them 'makes it so' but the probability that the claimant is incorrect is high, and the probability that the claimant somehow is the actual figure from history is very low. There's is no good reason to suspend judgement without proof in such an instance. 

Thermodynamics says they don't exist. That's real proof against the classic notion at the very least. If people really are seeing ghosts, logically the first place to look at is the individual and their environment. Not default to superstition and offer weak excuses like it doesn't happen when others are around

The probability is high that thermodynamics is correct and low that superstition is correct. 

I'm not seeing it. Just saying. 

And... 

Spock learned a great many lessons from his human BFF Jim. 

Your stories are not logical. I have pointed out that some of your claims defy physics. What would be logical would be to reconsider your interpretation. You don't. You make up future physics that defy what we know to maintain your conclusion. Future unknown physics 9s not as likely as confirmation bias in this instance. This is why I don't see anyone with any credibility (and many without I might add) accepting your conclusions. 

If there are so many, why do you differ so greatly from the majority here? 

But wouldn't believe your God nicotine curing story and you had to lie and say truck headlights with her being gifted and open minded? 

Its not just me, that's really contradictory. 

If you say so. However....... 

How do you figure any of that applies to you? 

LOL that's silly. 

Disbelief is not about feeling safer. It's just getting on with the day without religion. 

of course it is subjective  Ie dependent on the experience of the subject. Remarkable and unusual are also subjective. iI would be remarkable if it snowed a t Christmas her,e but not elsewhere What you find unusual is usual to me and vice versa 

Probability is a statistical calculation It has no bearing on what is or is not 

you support my pov when you say that someone watching me eat an apple could verify i was eating one (but only to themselves)  Someone watching me would see the same manifestaions of god or ghost which i see (they  often do in life) because it is real and solid The problem here is your solid belief that this is NOT possible .

Your other disclaimers are not really relevant or  they are incorrect Physics does not disprove the existence of ghosts. it doesnt really even disprove one common  theory about what ghosts could be, let alone many of the other theories Ghosts are real and one day will be verified and explained by science.Physics does not prove thoughts cannot travel faster tha nlight  especially since we have discovered linked particles at a quantum level 

Spock and Jim were created as counterparts of human nature. The logical rational and the emotional.  Each learned from the other, and together the y formed one whole human being, enabling them together to solve problems which as individuals the y could not  But i preferred Spock  for a number of personal and learned lessons  I do not make up future physics i explain tha t current physics will evolve and change. The  History of science shows us this  I use the extrapolations  of physicists themselves to support my belief that  Physics is evolving very quickly and current physics will be primitive within 50 years 

i did not tell my parents i saw god.

First at the time i did not know what i had experienced. i certainly was not thinking in religious terms like god or angels.

second i was their oldest son and in my 3rd year at uni, with an Afro, long beard, hippy clothes, surfing,  and  with  some new values attitudes and ideas  It would have worried them on many levels to tell them what actually happened  (for a start  they might have thought i was on drugs even though i never took drugs at uni.

So i had myself checked out and found that i was fine physically and mentally. I  don't think i ever  told them  what i actually saw  but i did tell others some years later .

The y were secular humanists and despite my mothers real psychic abilities would have found my experience disturbing   people construct beliefs including disbelief to meet their  psychological needs  One of the commonest needs is to reduce fear often by constructing beliefs which make life more predictable and thus safe  So people believe to reduce fear, and they disbelieve to reduce fear.

Your beliefs might also be rational and logical but a t heart you built them to meet a psychological need  

13 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Yeah,, this is a field it is called,Psychoanalysis, dreams are explored towards ones healing. 

They can also be used to effect healing of fears phobias traumas etc. and to build confidence, resilience, self  esteem etc 

I can give you personal  examples of such use of dreams, going back to  the early 1950s. 

13 hours ago, Sherapy said:

REM cycles run throughout the night, it is the time one can remember dreams due to waking up. 

Of course, you are going to claim you are an exception. 

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/dream2.htm

It is a lucky break that I happen to work for a Neurologist who encourages questions, 

You very well could remember a lot of your dreams, but you are doing this during the REM stage when dreaming is at it’s most vivid. 

Not an exception 

I've actually undergone sleep recording at a clinic  and had my dreams and sleep periods mapped and compared   I dream from the moment i fall asleep to when i wake up  I can fall asleep within seconds of my head hitting the pillow and be dreaming instantly. Indeed i transition deliberately from  waking consciousness into sleeping consciousness by using a mental portal which takes me only seconds to pass through  So i know exactly  where I am and what i am doing 

Everybody probably does this  does this, but most only remember dreams that  occur in rem sleep, and that seems to be the most prolific period for dreaming, but you can dream ANYTIME you are asleep 

11 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I saw that too.

I can’t tell you how many times I have  read that he remembers every single dream he has ever had from 3 years old on.

Yet, the brain goes through major prunings and cleans out synapses that are no longer used., with his academics etc., he is trying to tell us he also had the time to tend to keeping his dream memories alive too, it is not accurate pruning happens genetically early in life so he is making nonsense claims, I am not calling him a liar, he doesn’t have any idea what the heck he is talking about, 

Perhaps he is motivated to keep with up with his memory is exceptional due to claiming it is photographic. The amount of energy he has to invest in his posts to cover and explain all his claims exhausts me. 

”This rapid period of synaptogenesis plays a vital role in learning, memory formation, and adaptation early in life. At about 2 to 3 years of age, the number of synapses hits a peak level. But then shortly after this period of synaptic growth, the brain starts to remove synapses that it no longer needs.

Once the brain forms a synapse, it can either be strengthened or weakened. This depends on how often the synapse is used. In other words, the process follows the “use it or lose it” principle: Synapses that are more active are strengthened, and synapses that are less active are weakened and ultimately pruned. The process of removing the irrelevant synapses during this time is referred to as synaptic pruning.

Early synaptic pruning is mostly influenced by our genes. Later on, it’s based on our experiences. In other words, whether or not a synapse is pruned is influenced by the experiences a developing child has with the world around them. Constant stimulation causes synapses to grow and become permanent. But if a child receives little stimulation the brain will keep fewer of those connections.”

https://www.healthline.com/health/synaptic-pruning

No ive never said i remember every dream just as i dont remember every waking day. BUT i can remember many  dreams going back to when i was about 3 as vividly as i can remember interesting sdays from tha t age ive talked about my dreams since i was 3 or so which also helps fix them in your  long term  memory I think i have more dream memories form my ealry years than waking ones because  the dreams were more exciting and memory is strongest when attached to emotion.  .   

I have been working with my mind to develop mental skills including dream skills since i was 3 years old. Devoting hours every day to them for at least 2 decades.  Ive explained once why this was so and i am not going to go into it again as it was a very sad and personal reason. 

It does not mater what you claim to  have read from  experts i KNOW what is possible with dreams  ( and what a human can do with their mind and consciousness) There are probably few people on the planet more experienced with dreams and their  nature and uses than me. Indeed I have known stuff about dreams for half a century  that is only coming out now and i still cant find many people online who know more about dreaming than i do  I was consciously using dreams to improve my resilience confidence and skills to eliminate fear and to control emotions  before i entered high school and can still remember some of the dream techniques i used to do this.

I dont disagree with your quote. indeed it reflects how i have lived my life and used my mind . 

11 hours ago, Sherapy said:

My ex boss owns high end board and cares, in fact, she touts herself as the Dementia Whisperer, she is also a narcissist. 

She also micromanages her reputation and spends a lot of time defending herself from the consequences of the choices she makes. 

If a person claims they have only helped thousands of people and have never have had anything but perfect outcomes every situation, and when they didn’t it is not any fault of theirs this in and of itself is an earmark of narcissism.  

Narcissism is a response, a dysfunctional coping style.

One of the best books written on the subject IMHO is this one, it helps you understand it with compassion.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/586333/you-can-thrive-after-narcissistic-abuse-by-melanie-tonia-evans/

lol I know a lot more about narcissism and other psychological disorders than you do.

I am not one and that has been clinically established :)  

I have never claimed perfect outcomes eg we lost one of our children to suicide but saved a dozen others who now live moderately happy and successful lives We saved thousands of children from starvation and  death from poor sanitation or water  but i suspect some still died or were killed.

We have supported 3 students for almost 20 years  in 3 different countries.  I suspect the y will never be  rich or powerful but they now have a chance which the y never had before.

We have supported dozens  of women with seed funding to start businesses in places like India and Pakistan  so the y can  become economically independent and thus less prone to abuse from men   AGain we dont know all the stories. Probably some did well while others did less well.

However we did what we can and that is ALL a person can do 

A strong healthy ego and slef esteem is NOT narcissism. Indeed it is a desirable psychological position.

Narcissism, and low self esteem/ lack of ego are both dysfunctional and damaging, psychological states 

Personally i have found low self esteem to be more damaging and limiting in others than too much, and tragically, it often ends in suicide.   

21 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Not an exception 

I've actually undergone sleep recording at a clinic  and had my dreams and sleep periods mapped and compared   I dream from the moment i fall asleep to when i wake up  I can fall asleep within seconds of my head hitting the pillow and be dreaming instantly. Indeed i transition deliberately from  waking consciousness into sleeping consciousness by using a mental portal which takes me only seconds to pass through  So i know exactly  where I am and what i am doing 

Everybody probably does this  does this, but most only remember dreams that  occur in rem sleep, and that seems to be the most prolific period for dreaming, but you can dream ANYTIME you are asleep 

We don’t have the studies to support that dreaming occurs specifically, the story like narratives in any other stages other than REM.  There might be mental activity in slow wave sleep, reports of those in sleep studies at the most have reported a mental image but the story like narratives are attributed to REM.  In an 8 hour sleep cycle REM will occur 4 to 5 times. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Thank you, having an understanding of the brain and how it  functions is everything. 

lol  It is a pity we cant ask wally. :) 

I suspect he used the techniques i described. BUT as I  pointed out practice builds "muscle memory" (a poor term )  ie  maths can help you plan the shot perfectly but control and discipline  of many muscle groups and even breathing is needed to physically make the perfect shot.  Practice builds your body's skills in physically making that shot  (as a child Lindrum practiced for up to 12 hours a day, every day 

Unconscious or subconscious thinking is also a poor  term You can access your subconscious/ unconscious thoughts once you understand  their language and  recognise them. Thus you can learn to think consciously just a s quickly as you can subconsciously but with greater  directed intent. 

Edited by Mr Walker

1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

lol  It is a pity we cant ask wally. :) 

I suspect he used the techniques i described. BUT as I  pointed out practice builds "muscle memory" (a poor term )  ie  maths can help you plan the shot perfectly but control and discipline  of many nmuscle groups and even breathing is needed to physically make the perfect shot.  Practice builds your body's skills in physically making that shot 

Unconscious or subconscious thinking is also a poor  term You can access your subconscious/ unconscious thoughts once you understand  their language and  recognise them. Thus you can learn to think consciously just a s quickly as you can subconsciously but with greater  directed intent. 

Is this your new claim you were an world class basketball player who mathematically calculated his shots?

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol I know a lot more about narcissism and other psychological disorders than you do.

I have never claimed perfect outcomes eg we lost one of our children to suicide but saved a dozen others who now live moderately happy and successful lives We saved thousands of children from starvation and  death from poor sanitation or water  but i suspect some still died or were killed.

We have supported 3 students for almost 20 years  in 3 different countries.  I suspect the y will never be  rich or powerful but they now have a chance which the y never had before.

We have supported dozens  of women with seed funding to start businesses in places like India and Pakistan  so the y can  become economically independent and thus less prone to abuse from men   AGain we dont know all the stories. Probably some did well while others did less well.

A strong healthy ego and slef esteem is NOT narcissism. Indeed it is a desirable psychological position.

Narcissism, and low self esteem/ lack of ego are both dysfunctional and damaging, psychological states 

Personally i have found low self esteem to be more damaging and limiting in others than too much, and tragically, it often ends in suicide.   

It sounds like you really don’t know the outcomes. 

I have read many many times you claim that you have helped thousands of kids and saved hundreds others from suicide. 

Perhaps you have forgotten. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

We don’t have the studies to support that dreaming occurs specifically, the story like narratives in any other stages other than REM.  There might be mental activity in slow wave sleep, reports of those in sleep studies at the most have reported a mental image but the story like narratives are attributed to REM.  In an 8 hour sleep cycle REM will occur 4 to 5 times. 

As i said I am way ahead of the pack :)  i can confirm the abilty to dream all night from  the moment you fall asleep to the moment you  wake up 

I  am not a tall sure about your studies but it has only been recently with modern machinery that we can recognise dream states  while peole sleep so it may not be surprising that not much has been done I offered myself to one study in Adelaide but it would have meant going there and staying there over a period of time  which i could not do.   as i said i was hooked up to machines a couple of times. In the port Lincoln hospital, to measure my sleep patterns and compare them to my periods of dreaming they confirmed wht i have said  i have also been attached to recording devices at home, where the results are transmitted by wifi

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Is this your new claim you were an world class basketball player who mathematically calculated his shots?

Come on now, give "Air" Walker a break !

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

As i said I am way ahead of the pack :)  i can confirm the abilty to dream all night from  the moment you fall asleep to the moment you  wake up 

I  am not a tall sure about your studies but it has only been recently with modern machinery that we can recognise dream states  while peole sleep so it may not be surprising that not much has been done I offered myself to one study in Adelaide but it would have meant going there and staying there over a period of time  which i could not do.   as i said i was hooked up to machines a couple of times. In the port Lincoln hospital, to measure my sleep patterns and compare them to my periods of dreaming they confirmed wht i have said  i have also been attached to recording devices at home, where the results are transmitted by wifi

The story has already changed from an earlier post. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Nup I explained i was just an average teenage basket ballplayer 

My claim is that, in general,  i can learn any sport or skill very quickly, using basic maths, geometry,  physics etc and mental calculation ie my mind can predict the moment and angle of contact of a ball and determine how best to hit it.  Most people can do this, but it takes a long time. I seem to pick those things up more quickly (almost instantly) 

I was able to water ski from  the first attempt and it only took a few lessons to ski barefoot 4 days after going on the snow for the first time i was skiing down the moderate runs . I was able to roller skate, ice skate, and  skate  board safely and in control after one days practice.  One or two games into squash i had worked out how to rebound the ball to put it in a very difficult position to return  However all these skills also required a longer period of time to train my muscles, build  fitness etc., to match the technical skis which were quickly picked up 

As a result  others learned one or two  sports and played them all their life i have learned and played almost a hundred different  "sports"  becoming a proficient amateur at them all, and expert in none. :)

Ive participated in competitive (club based)  sailing, swimming, tennis, basketball, hockey, baseball, squash, football, and cricket, darts, rifle and pistol shooting and golf .   (probably missed a few  going back 60 years or so)  All the others were regular  causal games between friends family or colleagues or individual sports like surfing      

11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The story has already changed from an earlier post. 

No it hasn't. You are still having problems reading my posts :) 

However I did remember, after my first post, that some of the tests were done at home, hooked up to  monitoring machines.

Most were done in the sleep clinic at the port Lincoln hospital (top floor)  

33 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Interesting how you personalized my post, it wasn’t about you, it was about my ex boss and the point I was making is one can help people and be a narcissist.

That’s all.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It sounds like you really don’t know the outcomes. 

I have read many many times you claim that you have helped thousands of kids and saved hundreds others from suicide. 

Perhaps you have forgotten. 

You claimed tha t someone narcissistic  ( the inference being me ) claimed perfect results

I have never made that claim it is another example  of you falsifying my posts 

We know many individual results but no we don't know them all. However we do get feed back on general results from  the agencies we work through so we know that there was a high succeeds rate  But ive never claimed perfect. Its likley that even some of the children we helped survive with food and healthy water, still died from war, or abuse, lack of medical support,  or natural causes   

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Interesting how you personalized my post, it wasn’t about you, it was about my ex boss and the point I was making is one can help people and be a narcissist.

That’s all.

mmm. i do wonder She is not on UM,so who was your audience, really ? 

8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No it hasn't. You are still having problems reading my posts :) 

However I did remember, after my first post, that some of the tests were done at home, hooked up to  monitoring machines.

Most were done in the sleep clinic at the port Lincoln hospital (top floor)  

Oh my, now you did all kinds of sleep clinics.

You forgot about some that were done at home, but now remember that most were done at Port Lincoln hospital..

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

You claimed tha t someone narcissistic  ( the inference being me ) claimed perfect results

I have never made that claim it is another example  of you falsifying my posts 

We know many individual results but no we don't know them all. However we do get feed back on general results from  the agencies we work through so we know that there was a high succeeds rate  But ive never claimed perfect. Its likley that even some of the children we helped survive with food and healthy water, still died from war, or abuse, lack of medical support,  or natural causes   

You have claimed perfect outcomes, and this is also a feature of narcissism. 

I am not claiming you are a narcissist just pointing out the features 

As is a need to think everything is about you.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

mmm. i do wonder She is not on UM,so who was your audience, really ? 

It was a counter claim to yours that a person can’t possibly be a narcissist if they help others. 

News flash they can. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

I think the relationship between sherapy and Mr W can be described as a symbiosis.