Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can Ghost hurt you?

'Walt' E. Kurtz

27 minutes ago, acute said:

It's all based on testimony.

Near to where I used to live there was a poltergeist that worked its way through every one of the newly-built houses.

Dunnigan Road, Birmingham B32 3XD

There was something in the farm house I moved into not too long ago, it had sat idle for years,after a bit of eviction it left.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

There was something in the farm house I moved into not too long ago, it had sat idle for years,after a bit of eviction it left.

The ones who are (in Piney's words) "earthbound" stick to the floor plan of the building they lived in, and they don't like change!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, acute said:

The ones who are (in Piney's words) "earthbound" stick to the floor plan of the building they lived in, and they don't like change!

I know these things are out there,as you say they don't like moving,I believe now if you can brush them off as insignificant they lose their grip on you and your dwelling.Being sensitive is a lot harder than being a hard ass or skeptic when it comes to the paranormal world and dealing with society as well.I want to stay open to some of the beautiful aspects of the paranormal,and closed to the destructive forces of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I personally think the probability of being hurt by a ghost is directly proportional to your belief in them.

Over the last year I've started going on ghost hunt tours of some pretty well know "evil"/"haunted" places. I have yet to encounter anything malevolent or paranormal despite the best efforts of the guides and docents to make you think otherwise. Very creepy and cool places with interesting histories, but nothing otherworldly.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

People create imaginary monsters and associate bad things to them. They even spread them memetically through word of mouth and stories. 

^

this is pretty much it in a nutshell, the boogieman isnt real except in some peoples minds

there simply are not "autonomous entities" out there causing mischief,  it starts and ends in the mind of believers who will oddly to me embrace that spookies can do this and that to people yet get raging angry when told its in their imaginations, because of course we go back to zero proof, its likely only a mental illness health concern if it interferes with your normal life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Trelane said:

creepy and cool places with interesting histories, but nothing otherworldly.

Why creepy?You sound at least partly sensitive to this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Piney said:

I was taught to be a "necessary evil".  :yes:

As long as you're good to yourself... :-*

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cloud7 said:

As long as you're good to yourself... :-*

I eat right, don't drink,get plenty of exercise and pick on @acute at least once a day. :yes:

Edited by Piney
**** atlantis
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, openozy said:

Why creepy?You sound at least partly sensitive to this.

Just how I felt walking around the large mansions and closed prisons/penitentiaries. I wouldn't say "sensitive" though. Being all alone in the middle of the night in the former maximum security area of a state prison can cause feelings of unease.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Just how I felt walking around the large mansions and closed prisons/penitentiaries. I wouldn't say "sensitive" though. Being all alone in the middle of the night in the former maximum security area of a state prison can cause feelings of unease.

Try it surrounded by Bloods, Kings, MS13 and The Hatred. :yes:

.....no Crips though. The Bloods and Kings killed them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Try it surrounded by Bloods, Kings, MS13 and The Hatred. :yes:

.....no Crips though. The Bloods and Kings killed them.

Oh for sure, definitely! Gangster Disciples AB, MS13, and of course assorted convicted technicians of death. I served at the USDB at Fort Leavenworth for a couple of years. Far scarier than any of the "haunted" places I've visited.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2019-07-29 at 6:14 AM, pixiii said:

LOL love it!  :lol: 

The other thing I was going to mention was, when these strange occurrences happen, we usually don't have a camera handy.  I know almost everyone has a phone nowadays so it's probably easier to capture something in this era.  Although, when something happens out of the ordinary, like a knife shooting across the room (and I'm not saying it didn't happen @openozy just because I didn't experience this :) ) it most likely happens so fast that we're not ready with a camera in our hands to capture it on vid or take a quick pic.  

When a person actually comes up with what they feel is evidence of something that's happened to them, we skeptics usually find a way of explaining it quite rapidly, probably because we tend to lean towards being non-believers, rather than believers.  That's all I can put it down to really. :huh: 

Yes. to make a long story short i had a stereo turn on by it self and i also saw the cd playing, when i asked my friend who i was visiting if they had any cds with Elvis she said no and she asked me why i didn't turn off the power to the stereo before i went to bed which i remember that i did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

I eat right, don't drink,get plenty of exercise and pick on @acute at least once a day. :yes:

Thats just fun & games :)

• Like 2

What have you folks experienced? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, acute said:

Yes, they can feed off your fear, but there are entities that (as the neighbors may tell you) wreak havoc when no one is home.

Isn't that known as a burglar?

18 hours ago, acute said:

They take energy from batteries, lights, (and, in the old days, candles) and probably computers, alarm systems, and your WiFi.  Basically anything!

Sure thing.

23 hours ago, openozy said:

Are you sure it wasn't a possum?  We had a huge possum with a droopy eye and a chewed ear we called "Mungo" on our roof when I lived in Melbourne back in the 1990s.  I had an english friend who was staying with us, and he heard Mungo doing that possum "chwaaa-ak-ak-ak" noise and thought someone was being strangled in the alleyway, and leapt out his window stark naked to render assistance.  He got very unlucky and the police nabbed him and charged him with indecent exposure.   I had to bail him out at 5am, and he was claiming that it must have been a ghost because he couldn't find the victim, and then it dawned on me that the choking noise might have been the possum.  Yeah, the possum was back the next night and we sorted it out.  Foxes also make some very weird and bloodcurdling noises in the night.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Are you sure it wasn't a possum?  We had a huge possum with a droopy eye and a chewed ear we called "Mungo" on our roof when I lived in Melbourne back in the 1990s.  I had an english friend who was staying with us, and he heard Mungo doing that possum "chwaaa-ak-ak-ak" noise and thought someone was being strangled in the alleyway, and leapt out his window stark naked to render assistance.  He got very unlucky and the police nabbed him and charged him with indecent exposure.   I had to bail him out at 5am, and he was claiming that it must have been a ghost because he couldn't find the victim, and then it dawned on me that the choking noise might have been the possum.  Yeah, the possum was back the next night and we sorted it out.  Foxes also make some very weird and bloodcurdling noises in the night.

No possum,Its a barn type house with no ceiling.The Jack Russells clean up anything furry also lol.It wasn't a noise,just a presence and feel you could cut with a knife.I couldn't see it but it would walk around the house like it owned the place,it didn't,so was given the flick.Funny story about your friend though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Impedancer said:

What have you folks experienced? 

For my experience I was visiting a friend whom I'd been friends with since our school days.  Her Husband and daughter had gone out to pick up Pizza for dinner and my friend and I were seated in her lounge area just chatting. 

Just to give you a bit of a backstory on this house:  She had told me many times since they'd began renting this house (it was probably built in the 1950-60's) that she felt there was a spirit of an angry old man in it.   She said she'd had a shower many times and felt something nearby and had to pull open the shower curtain and on a few occasions she had seen this male figure then it dissipates into nothing.  Even her daughter would wake up with nightmares and say there was an old man in her room and he's scaring her. 

They had an evil looking collection of medieval styled swords and daggers that were mounted on their walls.  I didn't particularly like them, but everyone to their own. She did comment that each time they added a new dagger/sword, the activity in their house would increase.  Doors closing on their own, lights going on and off etc etc.  I always used to put it down to the fact it was an old house and I never ever felt scared there.  Probably needed new wiring and they used to keep their windows open all the time so breezes could come through (tropical area, hot and humid weather). My friend was one of those people who had had a lot of experiences regarding ghosts/spirits at many of the houses she'd lived in, both growing up and later.  I always found it interesting listening to her experiences as I hadn't had any, although I was open to believing of course.

Back to my experience:  It was a warm evening and there wasn't any breeze (that I could detect ie, sitting inside the house).  We were chatting idly about something unimportant when all of a sudden we saw a movement out of the corner of our eyes.  We both turned our heads and watched a ball (about 30cmroll out of her daughter's bedroom.  It rolled as if it was pushed in a controlled manner.  It stopped on the carpet then began rolling again as if someone had pushed it, then it stopped there.  My friend commented on how their ghost is at it again.   I remember I immediately got a huge grin on my face and thought, wow, did that really just happen?  We both looked at each other and she remained seated whilst I got up and walked over to her daughter's bedroom.  I turned and looked at the ball and picked it up and walked into the daughter's bedroom.  The windows were open on both sides as it was a corner room.   I couldn't feel any breeze BUT I immediately thought the possibility of a breeze coming into from either of those windows could've caused the movement.  The ball itself was approx 1 foot or 30cm in diameter and was one of those typical plastic/rubber balls that you pump up with air.  Nothing special about it whatsoever.

I don't know why my friend feels that this was a ghost or anything else that happens in her house is due to ghostly activity.  As I've mentioned before in a previous post, I tend to look at my surroundings and run through the multitudes of possibilities that could've caused the incident before thinking anything out of the ordinary.  Again, I must reiterate that I do not begrudge others for their opinions as they're based upon your own experiences which I obviously haven't had. 

I do enjoy reading about other's experiences though, but I will say, I always find myself running through the possibilities in my own mind as I'm reading, as if I was experiencing it which is why I tend to come to a different conclusion (making me the skeptic I am).  Whilst there's nothing wrong with the way skeptics or believers think, it's just how we as individuals are, according to our life's experiences and what forms our fundamental beliefs. :) 

My apologies if it seemed longwinded there - I was trying to supply as many details as I could. :) 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, pixiii said:

She did comment that each time they added a new dagger/sword, the activity in their house would increase. 

I don't like the sound of that,it may be something trying to warn your friend of (her husband?}Whatever it is might be trying to scare your friend and kids out of the home to protect them.I wouldn't think you could suggest that to your friend though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

I don't like the sound of that,it may be something trying to warn your friend of (her husband?}Whatever it is might be trying to scare your friend and kids out of the home to protect them.I wouldn't think you could suggest that to your friend though.

Thanks @openozy thankfully they've moved out of that house now and all has been good since.   Perhaps she is one of those people who are sensitive to ghosts/spirits (because I'm obviously not :lol: ) and their new house hasn't presented with any problems or strange occurrences.  I now live down in Melbourne so I don't get to chat as often but I do know that they asked the owner of that house what the history of it was and it was originally owned by someone who was an ex-army fellow.  He did in fact die in his sleep of old age in the house (unsure of what bedroom) and that was all the owner could tell her. :)  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pixiii said:

Thanks @openozy thankfully they've moved out of that house now and all has been good since.   Perhaps she is one of those people who are sensitive to ghosts/spirits (because I'm obviously not :lol: ) and their new house hasn't presented with any problems or strange occurrences.  I now live down in Melbourne so I don't get to chat as often but I do know that they asked the owner of that house what the history of it was and it was originally owned by someone who was an ex-army fellow.  He did in fact die in his sleep of old age in the house (unsure of what bedroom) and that was all the owner could tell her. :)  

I feel negative energy hangs around and has a bad influence on people, whether you believe in the paranormal or not.Most have felt this in areas where bad acts have occurred earlier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If only there was factual evidence for all this paranormal woo woo, too bad that anecdotal stories is all we got. I mean, it's almost as if people make this stuff up, are they completely exaggerate the most mundane of things...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

If only there was factual evidence for all this paranormal woo woo, too bad that anecdotal stories is all we got. I mean, it's almost as if people make this stuff up, are they completely exaggerate the most mundane of things...

and get angry when told what you just posted,

superstition is powerful on some minds.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked