Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Millennials Afraid of Doorbells

susieice

Mmmmm….Not sure a conversation on twitter is sufficient to make a sweeping statement about millennials.  They are a different lot though.  Very sensitive.  Get their feelings hurt if you note how sensitive they are.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I heard this today on a morning show. :lol:

I admit to acting like I'm not home when a stranger comes to the door, but it doesn't terrify me. Unless they come back a few minutes later that is. The first thing that I'm concerned about, when someone comes over without calling, is if I have a bra on. :rofl:

• Haha 7

This is very interesting to me. My next door neighbours and the ones directly opposite me are young couples in their late 30s(with children), and neither(recently refurbished), home has a doorbell or a knocker or a letter box. You have to knock on the glass or wood with your hand, which I'm sure doesn't get heard if the TV is on or the children are playing loudly or the internal doors are closed. As for the lack of letterbox, instead they have a box on the wall near the front door but they only take quite small items of mail. Crazy!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I admit to acting like I'm not home when a stranger comes to the door

If I'm late on a bill :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The only time I'd be afraid of a doorbell going off is in the case of the cops or bill collectors. That's about it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

If I'm late on a bill :lol:

Get out of my head. There's barely enough room for me.:lol:

• Haha 7

How can they text ahead everywhere that they go? Are they really that dependent on cell phones to live everyday life? Do they ever talk to each other or do they just text and take selfies? A cell phone is their whole world and they aren't afraid of the hacking and scams that happen on them.

I've been known to not answer my door also unless I'm expecting someone but now I'm in a secured building so you need to use a call box that connects to my phone or you aren't getting through the security door. I have to release it for you. I just can't imagine being so afraid you just want to get rid of all of them. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

As for the lack of letterbox, instead they have a box on the wall near the front door but they only take quite small items of mail.

I miss those. All these older houses used to have them until the post office requested we put them next to the road. Even with the hilly and steep topography the mail carriers and the garbage service will deliver and pick up for the elderly people from their front porches. Some houses have up to forty stairs to get to them. I think that is what kept a lot of these older people in such great shape.

• Like 5

It seems that the larger the amount of information gets, a larger amount of people choose to ignore it.

Or in other words: We have never known so much as now, and still people choose to be idiots!

Or is it a choice? Are people really dumb as hell?

• Like 2

And here I thought I was the only one.

It's just.. yeah all my friends do text me if they are outside and I do the same. So when the doorbell rings it's someone unknown... and who knows what they might want??? So if the doorbell does ring, I generally don't answer. I put headphones on until they go away.

I guess it is a bit strange, but once you stop being used to something it does become unusual.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It seems that the larger the amount of information gets, a larger amount of people choose to ignore it.

Or in other words: We have never known so much as now, and still people choose to be idiots!

Or is it a choice? Are people really dumb as hell?

Some people are dumb.  Most just tend to want to stay in a comfort zone.  I think it's pretty normal for a person who is overwhelmed by anything to want to step back from it.  You have to admit that the volume of new info coming down the pipe at us is bewildering.  I'm speaking in a general sense.  If a person is young and grew up being taught or better yet, intuiting how technology works then they'll naturally have a much higher tolerance and ability to juggle the input efficiently.  Youth don't last forever ;)  I'd also remind you that there is no reason to try to be aware of all or even most of the input we receive daily.  With the exception of emergency broadcasts, we can survive quite cheerfully without social media, texting or the latest news on the Kardashians :P  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

How can they text ahead everywhere that they go? Are they really that dependent on cell phones to live everyday life?

Do you take a watch with you when you leave the house? I Don't own a watch, so my cellphone comes along just for that. Then for emergencies (never know when you might, for example witness somebody collapsing and need to call an ambulance, and payphones are hard to find these days, happened to me already). Or I might have to go to an unfamiliar part of town and can look up Google maps on the phone.

Not sure whether I'd call it a dependency, but it's a huge convinience.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

And here I thought I was the only one.

It's just.. yeah all my friends do text me if they are outside and I do the same. So when the doorbell rings it's someone unknown... and who knows what they might want??? So if the doorbell does ring, I generally don't answer. I put headphones on until they go away.

I guess it is a bit strange, but once you stop being used to something it does become unusual.

Exactly lol

Why ring when I can just text that I'm here and then walk in the door haha

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Do you take a watch with you when you leave the house? I Don't own a watch, so my cellphone comes along just for that. Then for emergencies (never know when you might, for example witness somebody collapsing and need to call an ambulance, and payphones are hard to find these days, happened to me already). Or I might have to go to an unfamiliar part of town and can look up Google maps on the phone.

Not sure whether I'd call it a dependency, but it's a huge convinience.

You are really going to think me odd but a lot of times when I leave the house, I don't take my phone. I don't want people calling me while I'm out and I socialize with the people I'm with. None of us take our phones out while we're together. Sometimes I take it if I'm going to a large store where the person I'm with and I could get separated, but usually no. I don't answer it if I don't recognize the number calling either. Too many robocalls. I check my voice mails. My friends and I don't do a lot of texting. We just call each other. They are good in case of an emergency so maybe I should throw mine into my purse more than I do. A difference in the generations I guess. And yes, I do have a watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Exactly lol

Why ring when I can just text that I'm here and then walk in the door haha

All you have to do is push a button spartan. I may not even notice you sent me a text.

• Like 2

Depends on what neighborhood you live in. More millennials are living in poverty. I live in an okay neighborhood but we have a tweaker house across the street. I've had people completely out of their minds knock (don't actually have a doorbell) on my door or pound on my door. I am disabled and live alone, so yes someone at the door unless they texted me before hand is not something positive usually. We live in an age where 90% of the time I know who is coming over and when. The other ten percent I'm well within my rights ( I'm a gen xer) to meet that with some trepidation like wtf is that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, susieice said:

All you have to do is push a button spartan. I may not even notice you sent me a text.

Ah yes but the people I'm texting will most likely have their phone lol.

Plus often now if we know someone is coming the door just gets left unlocked 

• Like 1

My 18 year old texted me while I was at work the other day “Someone just rang the bell”. I asked if she answered it and she said no, she was afraid it was some religious people. Turns out it was just the UPS guy. :lol:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Michelle said:

I heard this today on a morning show. :lol:

I admit to acting like I'm not home when a stranger comes to the door, but it doesn't terrify me. Unless they come back a few minutes later that is. The first thing that I'm concerned about, when someone comes over without calling, is if I have a bra on. :rofl:

Yes, that's always my worry - obvious I whip it off quickly if I do.   Although the frilly panties usually give the delivery man a shock, anyway :D

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

I am disabled and live alone, so yes someone at the door unless they texted me before hand is not something positive usually.

Try having people come in from out of town. driving ten or twelve hours, surprising you ten minutes before arriving when they plan on spending a few nights with you.  :lol:

Single guys don't comprehend. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I don't answer my doorbell, and havn't done so for some time. 

I REALLY must get that battery replaced !!!

• Haha 3

I wouldn't say I have a phobia of doorbells, however I do have a bit of a phobia of people just turning up at the door.
Primarily because I'm a loner, so If someone just turns up I have no relation to them what so ever.

• Like 2

I mean I'm not afraid of someone really "dangerous" being at the door. i don't think it would happen in my district and they'd first have to get into the building somehow to even get to my door. But yeah if somebody unexpected rings at my door I'm more agitated that it could be someone like the Jehovah's Witnesses, some annoying political campaign person, the Catholics begging for money during one of their holidays or some other situation where I'd feel disturbed in the privacy of my home. 

6 hours ago, susieice said:

You are really going to think me odd but a lot of times when I leave the house, I don't take my phone. I don't want people calling me while I'm out and I socialize with the people I'm with. None of us take our phones out while we're together. Sometimes I take it if I'm going to a large store where the person I'm with and I could get separated, but usually no. I don't answer it if I don't recognize the number calling either. Too many robocalls. I check my voice mails. My friends and I don't do a lot of texting. We just call each other. They are good in case of an emergency so maybe I should throw mine into my purse more than I do. A difference in the generations I guess. And yes, I do have a watch.

Oh I don't think you odd. I was just trying to explain that for me taking my phone is probably a lot like you taking your watch. Since I do rely on my phone to tell the time when I'm outside (I'm just not used to, and don't really like, the sensation of having a watch stripped to my wrist).
Also having a phone with me, doesn't mean that I don't socialize with the people I'm with. That's why phones can be turned silent or can be put into airplane mode. It just means that I have a little computer in my pocket that, when needed can do all sorts of useful things.
The biggest problematic behaviour I can think of that arises from this in my case is that by now I've quite difficulty enduring an unpleasant situation without immediate relief. Like being in a cramped subway car or having to wait for an appointment without being able to get out my phone and distract me in some way. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, susieice said:

I can't believe this is true. I haven't heard something this funny in a while. I wonder what they'd do if I flushed the john a couple of times. They must have to do that now and then. I don't really want to pick on them but being terrified of a doorbell is a little ridiculous don't you think?

https://6abc.com/society/millennials-admit-theyre-afraid-of-doorbells-in-twitter-thread/5333214/?

FFS why aren't they more ashamed of themselves?  They are the "leastest generation".