Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Staggering homeless count stuns LA officials

Raptor Witness

19 hours ago, Big Jim said:

What use is a good GDP if the quality of life continues to deteriorate for so many?  

That's awesome. I'll need to save this quote for the next time someone brings up the tail end of Obama's 'booming economy' that Trump has been riding.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Your claim, your responsibility to prove it.  You won't because it is an adolescent, angry response from an old man who got everything wrong the last 40 years (I'm an old man to so back off mods).  Attacking Reagan?  LOL ridiculous, defend your statement

I don't have to do ****, my dude. Also, I'm not an old man, but i sure am angry. Google it or not, i don't care. But i'm not gonna waste my time so you can jerk yourself off over your internet debate.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That's awesome. I'll need to save this quote for the next time someone brings up the tail end of Obama's 'booming economy' that Trump has been riding.

LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I don't have to do ****, my dude. Also, I'm not an old man, but i sure am angry. Google it or not, i don't care. But i'm not gonna waste my time so you can jerk yourself off over your internet debate.

I am not your dude by any stretch of the imagination but always happy to see a leftist troll who won't back up his statements, because he can't, get all nasty and "internet tough guy" behind his keyboard.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Merc14 said:

I am not your dude by any stretch of the imagination but always happy to see a leftist troll who won't back up his statements, because he can't, get all nasty and "internet tough guy" behind his keyboard.  :rolleyes:

Look, my dude, you seem capable enough with a computer to be able to type. Use the address bar at the top and go to www.google.com. From there simply search "Reagan Homelessness". The entire first page backs up my statement. 

I could have just linked that or anyone of those articles, but the truth is that I would rather spend more time explaining it than donit because, and I really cannot stress this enough, I do not care about you, what you want, what you think, or anything at all about you  I am, however, my dude, entertaining myself quite nicely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Look, my dude, you seem capable enough with a computer to be able to type. Use the address bar at the top and go to www.google.com. From there simply search "Reagan Homelessness". The entire first page backs up my statement. 

I could have just linked that or anyone of those articles, but the truth is that I would rather spend more time explaining it than donit because, and I really cannot stress this enough, I do not care about you, what you want, what you think, or anything at all about you  I am, however, my dude, entertaining myself quite nicely.

I'm not your dude, just the opposite as I find you a reprehensible person, so don't pretend there is anything but animosity between us. I know all about Reagan and his democrat legislature in CA and the reasons he signed the law are myriad but CA's homeless problems are way beyond what happened way back when. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merc14 said:

I'm not your dude, just the opposite as I find you a reprehensible person, so don't pretend there is anything but animosity between us. I know all about Reagan and his democrat legislature in CA and the reasons he signed the law are myriad but CA's homeless problems are way beyond what happened way back when. 

Whatever you say, my dude.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Merc14 said:

I'm not your dude, just the opposite as I find you a reprehensible person, so don't pretend there is anything but animosity between us.

Animosity over difference of opinions on an internet forum?  That's a little bit crazy.  Life is short.  You should do whatever it takes to be happy.  If you take politics that seriously that you have animosity towards someone over their posts on the internet, I feel sorry for you.  Some of my best friends are Trump supporters.  They say stupid crap all the time.  But I would never have any animosity towards them.  We can hang out, drink a beer and still enjoy each other's company.  You poor soul.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Whatever you say, my dude.

Can't defend the indefensible so you at the child.  No worries, normal behavior for your ilk.  I'll enjoy the next few months as more of your dreams of the last two years blow up.  Hey lefties, 2020 is lookin' a lot like 2016. :tsu:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Be my guest.  It's not the same as having an original thought but it will raise the quality of your posts, at least once.

• Haha 4

On 6/6/2019 at 2:37 PM, aztek said:

la officials should look in the mirror, they will see a reason why homeless population is on the rise

Yeah, location for one.  Weather is good for outside people, not many homeless winter in Buffalo I reckon.  People are generous and city services are there.    LA did't create the homeless, it is just a good place to be if you are one.  Same with Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego too.  A lot of them are vets too as is the case across the country.  

https://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/veterans.html

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that 131,000 veterans are homeless on any given night [1]. And approximately twice that many experience homelessness over the course of a year. Conservatively, one out of every three homeless men who is sleeping in a doorway, alley or box in our cities and rural communities has put on a uniform and served this country.

Approximately 40% of homeless men are veterans, although veterans comprise only 34% of the general adult male population. The National Coalition for Homeless Veterans estimates that on any given night, 200,000 veterans are homeless, and 400,000 veterans will experience homelessness during the course of a year (National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, 2006). 97% of those homeless veterans will be male (Department of Veterans Affairs, 2008). 

• Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 5:58 PM, Agent0range said:

I don't really understand what you guys are trying to blame this on.  Democrats?  Your hate for California?  Los Angeles is the city in the United States with the biggest economic boom in the past couple years.  The city with the highest GDP.  It seems you only care about the left behind when it fits your agenda, and arguing points.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-04-05/los-angeles-economic-boom-outpaces-u-s-cities

It's in fashion now to scrape off whatever group society is pinning its ills on this week. 

It makes me sad.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Only cities run by your party are suffering like this, explain.

Fact or opinion?  So far my google search has revealed only seven Republican mayors in the 35 largest cities, and they are not as a group the fastest growing.   Could it be a problem deeper than partisan politics?

On 6/6/2019 at 6:50 PM, Big Jim said:

What use is a good GDP if the quality of life continues to deteriorate for so many?  

That is a basic and excellent question.  The economy has been going gangbusters for a few years now, so it is not due to recession or trade war or other financial shortage.  Could it be a redistribution of resources that is squeezing some more than others?

6 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I remember the act well but it was decades ago and the problems CA is having now is the product of many bad decisions. 

Having passed that act it means mentally ill people are now (currently, today) not being housed in mental health facilities and are in a cycle of jail, then homeless and back in jail. So not decades ago, it's worse and directly resulting from Reagan signing that bill. You get angry and name call or point fingers at liberals but shown clear evidence its brushed aside as well that was years ago. Its relevant and a fact. That cycle contributes to the large amount of mentally ill homeless on the streets because he made it law and it became the policy of how California treated (or didn't treat) mentally ill people. Coupled with prison reform releases and rent to income ratios, it easily accounts for Los Angeles being overwhelmed and doesn't have much at all to do with the government being run by liberals. It's outside the scope of their power to change the laws regarding state hospital funding and how mentally ill people can be held in hospital for treatment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Having passed that act it means mentally ill people are now (currently, today) not being housed in mental health facilities and are in a cycle of jail, then homeless and back in jail. So not decades ago, it's worse and directly resulting from Reagan signing that bill. You get angry and name call or point fingers at liberals but shown clear evidence its brushed aside as well that was years ago. Its relevant and a fact. That cycle contributes to the large amount of mentally ill homeless on the streets because he made it law and it became the policy of how California treated (or didn't treat) mentally ill people. Coupled with prison reform releases and rent to income ratios, it easily accounts for Los Angeles being overwhelmed and doesn't have much at all to do with the government being run by liberals. It's outside the scope of their power to change the laws regarding state hospital funding and how mentally ill people can be held in hospital for treatment. 

I remember that facilities used to be vastly underfunded and were awful, but putting people out on the streets does not seem to have improved the situation. 

32 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Fact or opinion?  So far my google search has revealed only seven Republican mayors in the 35 largest cities, and they are not as a group the fastest growing.   Could it be a problem deeper than partisan politics?

umm and what cities are they running?  I think you missed the point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

JFK set it all up, read the article you linked and then read history. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

JFK set it all up, read the article you linked and then read history. 

Yes and Reagan signed it into law in California, where Los Angeles is, which is the topic of this thread. Glad we cleared that up. 

5 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Yes and Reagan signed it into law in California, where Los Angeles is, which is the topic of this thread. Glad we cleared that up. 

So, nothing since then has added to the problem?

• Like 1

The weather is great in the south too, but we don't have much of a homeless problem here because there are a lot of resources for them. Volunteer, non-profits and government agencies coordinate with each other. The city police will occasionally bust up small homeless camps and give them all the information on who to contact for help. Usually the only ones that won't accept any help is because they have addiction problems. In most instances the rules are strict on drugs and alcohol.

With so many wealthy people California should have no problem.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Yeah, location for one.  Weather is good for outside people, not many homeless winter in Buffalo I reckon.  People are generous and city services are there.    LA did't create the homeless, it is just a good place to be if you are one.  Same with Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego too.  A lot of them are vets too as is the case across the country.  

It would be interesting if this homeless census could determine where they are from, whether they are for the most part native Angelinos or Californians or whether L.A. is a magnet for homeless people across the country due to its mild weather.  It's almost become cliché that many people are one or two paychecks away from becoming homeless, but it's true.  Maybe one or two is on the low side but with any significant interruption in income it can happen.  With L.A.'s almost 50-50 rent to income ratio the ice is even thinner.  Homelessness is like a pit, easy to fall into, hard to get out of.  All of the so-called services only make the condition more survivable, they don't help you get out of it.  Getting that first apartment is nearly impossible.  Landlords still want rent and deposit and references.  Just like they say it takes money to make money, you also need a current address to get a new address.  Finding a job from the street or a homeless shelter is no easy task either.  Employers are biased towards those who have shaved and showered recently, and whose clothes haven't been slept in.  All of the things that make it hard to start over happen in the first week.  It's all down hill from there.  

The plight of our veterans is a national disgrace.  The worst pairing of words in the English language is homeless veterans.  The VA should provide more than just medical care.  If the military can house them when they need them they sure as hell should be able to house them until they can get back to their former life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:18 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

A massive increase in homelessness is reagan's legacy

And 16 years of Clinton and Obama doing nothing about it. Might as well say Reagan was Carter's legacy.

32 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

And 16 years of Clinton and Obama doing nothing about it. Might as well say Reagan was Carter's legacy.

Direct result of policies enacted by Reagan. That neither Bush. Cli ton, nor Obama reversed. 

16 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Direct result of policies enacted by Reagan. That neither Bush. Cli ton, nor Obama reversed. 

It would be great if someone did something about it. 

I really don't care what side. 

But it sure seems like politicians are out for themselves.

• Like 1