Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Staggering homeless count stuns LA officials

Raptor Witness

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

:lol:  Sounds like a reason a parent gives a little kid for a rule they don't have a real reason to enforce.  So how do you like having the government be your mommy? :passifier:

no, it does not sound like that at all,   it is obvious that it has to be for some, since unfortunately we can't have one set of laws for some and different for others all have to follow same laws.

it is pretty common  that violent crimes  are committed while high, if you do not see it, maybe you do need a mommy in a form of gvmnt,

Edited by aztek

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

we can't have one set of laws for some and different for others all have to follow same laws.

:lol: Do you hear yourself?

CWxyH0dWEAAxIL0.png

38 minutes ago, OverSword said:

:lol: Do you hear yourself?

CWxyH0dWEAAxIL0.png

yea i hear myself just fine, i am not talking about elite who is really above the law, but you sure know how to find a point to argue, lol, 

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 1

To be fair some people with chemical imbalances self medicate with drugs or alcohol...bad choice as both can be addicting.

And I don't think, with the huge drug abuse problem going on in this country it's the time to legalize drugs. 

Just heard on the radio the other day that statistics are now showing that what was claimed before marajuana legalization is false. It was thought that legalization would lower the harder drug use and what they found in every state that has legalized it so far is a 23% rise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, skliss said:

To be fair some people with chemical imbalances self medicate with drugs or alcohol...bad choice as both can be addicting.

And I don't think, with the huge drug abuse problem going on in this country it's the time to legalize drugs. 

Just heard on the radio the other day that statistics are now showing that what was claimed before marajuana legalization is false. It was thought that legalization would lower the harder drug use and what they found in every state that has legalized it so far is a 23% rise.

how does it compare to states where weed is still illegal?  iirc hard drug use is up in all states, so legalization had no effect on it, nor it should imo. those are 2 completely different groups of people that use those drugs.  it was a outright lie to say hard drug use will be reduced.  but i guess it was needed to make a better case for legalization,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

@Imaginarynumber1 and @GertdoggyReagan, my favorite president, cut federal funding to facilities that deal with people too crazy to care for themselves, so this is partly due to his policies, but I think that Clinton signed NAFTA and killed the manufacturing industries causing more damage than Ronnie as well as creating the prison industrial complex filling prisons with people that shouldn’t be in prison thanks to Bushes war on drugs but possibly the majority of homelessness is because of drug addiction. Can that be blamed on pharmaceutical companies or perhaps CIA black ops drug operations in which they imported heroine into the USA that the taliban had all but eliminated? Whatever the case I believe our government should take a great deal of the blame.

Gov is undoubtably to blame. Then and now.

Automation and modernization ate what killed manufacturing jobs. It was inevitable. Like coal mining. It's a dead industry for individuals.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

how does it compare to states where weed is still illegal?  iirc hard drug use is up in all states, so legalization had no effect on it, nor it should imo. those are 2 completely different groups of people that use those drugs.  it was a outright lie to say hard drug use will be reduced.  but i guess it was needed to make a better case for legalization,

What I quoted was all they said in that radio blurb report. That station uses ABC for their news so maybe there is a longer report there? I had my doubts when I heard that reduction of harder drugs would be a result. I know it's popular to say that marijuana isn't a gateway drug and after reading reports from both sides of the debate years ago, the one that stood out to me was a simple  unbiased or political survey done of thousands of drug addiction counselors across the country...and while they concluded that not all marijuana users go on to harder drugs they said 100% of their heroin/hard drug patients....think about that...100%.... started with marijuana.

25 minutes ago, skliss said:

What I quoted was all they said in that radio blurb report. That station uses ABC for their news so maybe there is a longer report there? I had my doubts when I heard that reduction of harder drugs would be a result. I know it's popular to say that marijuana isn't a gateway drug and after reading reports from both sides of the debate years ago, the one that stood out to me was a simple  unbiased or political survey done of thousands of drug addiction counselors across the country...and while they concluded that not all marijuana users go on to harder drugs they said 100% of their heroin/hard drug patients....think about that...100%.... started with marijuana.

gvmnt data contradicts  it

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends

More than half of new illicit drug users begin with marijuana. Next most common are prescription pain relievers, followed by inhalants (which is most common among younger teens).

Pie chart of first specific drug associated with initiation of drug use in 2013. Of 2.8 million initiate users. Marijuana 70.3%, pain relievers 12.5%, inhalants 6.3%, tranquilizers 5.2%, stimulants 2.7% hallucinogens 2.6%  sedatives 0.2%, cocaine 0.1%
Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

I’m sorry, the title of this thread.

Drunk, homeless British Aristocrat punches LA officials.

17 minutes ago, aztek said:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends

More than half of new illicit drug users begin with marijuana. Next most common are prescription pain relievers, followed by inhalants (which is most common among younger teens).

Pie chart of first specific drug associated with initiation of drug use in 2013. Of 2.8 million initiate users. Marijuana 70.3%, pain relievers 12.5%, inhalants 6.3%, tranquilizers 5.2%, stimulants 2.7% hallucinogens 2.6%  sedatives 0.2%, cocaine 0.1%

Is that chart a joke, or did Joe Friday draw it in the '60s?

Alcohol, the elephant in the room, doesn't get an honorable mention, as dangerous and addictive as it is? Alcohol is responsible for the deaths of people that never drank a drop.I it's the real gateway to everything else.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, aztek said:

I don't know who they polled or surveyed. The one I was talking about was just drug addiction counselors. For those thousands of in the trenches workers they answered that 100% of their hard drug users started with marijuana. Maybe a poll of doctors would show an opioid or tranquilizer was first...if the respondents answered honestly...but look at what small percentages started with something besides pot.

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Is that chart a joke, or did Joe Friday draw it in the '60s?

Alcohol, the elephant in the room, doesn't get an honorable mention, as dangerous and addictive as it is? Alcohol is responsible for the deaths of people that never drank a drop.I it's the real gateway to everything else.

this chart is about drugs, not alcohol, maybe that is why it is not mentioned here

Alcohol is a drug, just like caffeine and nicotine. More people are addicted to caffeine than any other drug.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stardrive said:

Alcohol is a drug, just like caffeine and nicotine. More people are addicted to caffeine than any other drug.

maybe but we are not talking about it in this thread. no one graduates to vodka from weed

1 hour ago, aztek said:

maybe but we are not talking about it in this thread. no one graduates to vodka from weed

It's usually the other way around. A lot easier for teens to get their hands on alcohol.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 6:36 PM, spartan max2 said:

Didn't this last election cycle LA passed some huge tax increase to fund more fighting homelessness.

It must not be doing anything.

The city is just too expensive. Too much taxes and liberal policies probs. 

It did, more people are homeless because they can't pay their taxes.

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It did, more people are homeless because they can't pay their taxes.

Right.  Now, illegal immigrants don't pay taxes but....   Ah, never mind!  :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, Big Jim said:

I'm not sure how your anti-capitalist screed connects to the post you quoted, but if you saw a connection, so be it.  People were homeless long before Donald Trump came on the scene.  He sure didn't cause it.  When I've been homeless it wasn't due to wage stagnation, banks, the Fed or any other macro-economic BS.  It was due to lapses in my own personal economics or flaws in personal planning, like picking the wrong woman.  When you don't know where your next meal is coming from or where you're going to sleep it doesn't matter if the whole world is rich or poor.  People thrive and fail in all kinds of circumstances.  There were rich people in the Great Depression and there are poor people in the best of times.  Statistics are like paints, you can use them to create any picture you want.  Homelessness is personal.  It happens because you lost your job, not because thousands of others did.  It happens because of your divorce, etc.  The only help I ever discovered was designed to help you survive, like feeding an animal in a cage.  There is no plan to help you get out of it.  For all the talk, committees, commissions, platitudes and amendments about homelessness the truth is that no one wants you.  They don't want you as a friend, they don't want you as a neighbor, and they don't want you as an employee.  But they do want your statistics so that if there are any more of you they can ask for more money and if there are any less of you they can pat themselves on the back.  

I've read numerous books on how wealth becomes concentrated in too few hands.  It doesn't matter how or why this happens, the economic model supporting capitalism is still flawed, in terms of governance. We are governed by losers, because most of the true winners in our society wouldn't have the job, for any amount of money. They're too smart to gravitate to public service.

For this reason, I have long proposed a lottery based system of governance, as an improvement over the current system. Those who are educated to a certain level, would be picked by lottery as a group to lead, and then a selection from this group would be put to a vote. Service would not be mandatory, but the pay would be spectacular, with special compensation for life, as a result of your service to your nation, far beyond what we provide to the military.  This model would greatly improve our chances of getting not just the best leaders, but those among us, with common sense values ..... instead of these comedians, clowns, and misfits currently leading us.  This simple change would be an evolution of our current system, in recognition of the deadly situation we now find ourselves.

Make no mistake about it, without rapid change in our governance, our Earth home is preparing to make the ground under our feet, and the air above our heads, uninhabitable. 

"Upon the sword, write whatever you will ...."

48136123603_6d41f93f37_c.jpg

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

...............  It doesn't matter how or why this happens, the economic model supporting capitalism is still flawed, in terms of governance. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

it may be,  however,  point at a system that is better than capitalism in real world, taking human nature in consideration.  and it should be the most important factor, since we are talking about human social order

Edited by aztek

9 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

I've read numerous books on how wealth becomes concentrated in too few hands.  It doesn't matter how or why this happens, the economic model supporting capitalism is still flawed, in terms of governance. We are governed by losers, because most of the true winners in our society wouldn't have the job, for any amount of money. They're too smart to gravitate to public service.

For this reason, I have long proposed a lottery based system of governance, as an improvement over the current system. Those who are educated to a certain level, would be picked by lottery as a group to lead, and then a selection from this group would be put to a vote. Service would not be mandatory, but the pay would be spectacular, with special compensation for life, as a result of your service to your nation, far beyond what we provide to the military.  This model would greatly improve our chances of getting not just the best leaders, but those among us, with common sense values ..... instead of these comedians, clowns, and misfits currently leading us.  This simple change would be an evolution of our current system, in recognition of the deadly situation we now find ourselves.

Make no mistake about it, without rapid change in our governance, our Earth home is preparing to make the ground under our feet, and the air above our heads, uninhabitable. 

"Upon the sword, write whatever you will ...."

48136123603_6d41f93f37_c.jpg

Wealth gets concentrated in few hands because few are willing or able to do the things that produce it.  The few rich people I've known personally have been smarter and worked harder than the general population.  They are also more daring, willing to take risks that most of us shy away from.  They dedicate their lives to accumulating money and are rewarded in kind.  The majority of people lack the drive, focus, nerve and dedication to become truly wealthy.  We prefer the comfort and predictability of a steady job and are also rewarded in kind.  

The political model you describe is exactly the same as set forth by the Founding Fathers, without the randomness of a lottery.  I guess being selected against your will went against their notion of personal freedom.  I think the key phrase might be "educated to a certain level".  Our country began in the Age of Reason.  Education was geared towards making well rounded citizens, not middle managers.  It was limited to the elites and concentrated on the classics.  Even though we were rejecting the traditional monarchy form of government there was still the notion of a ruling class and a feeling of noblesse oblige.  The system is still a good one, it's the quality of the individuals that has been corrupted over time.  I agree with your assertion that most decent people wouldn't have the job, but I believe the blame for that lies with the media and the public's appetite for salacious information.  We're finding out now about the flaws of our past leaders that were unknown to their contemporaries.  Most of the best people who have ever served this country couldn't be elected today because the minutiae of their character and personalities would be bared to the public.  We seek something to despise rather than something to admire and then use that as justification to reject what we find.  We no longer evaluate a candidate by the papers they publish or the speeches they give, but by the media they use and how they look while doing it.  We concentrate on the surface and are surprised to find out we elected an empty vessel.  It's not the system that has failed, it is us.

today they want your money they think you do not deserve, , tomorrow they will want your organs. not just scream they will fell entitled, the longer we drag this liberal idiocy the worst off we will be.