Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Meat-eating plant discovered in Canada

7 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Call it the "Little Bog of Horrors." In what is believed to be a first for North America, biologists at the University of Guelph have discovered that meat-eating pitcher plants in Ontario's Algonquin Park wetlands consume not just bugs but also young salamanders.

In a paper published this week in the journal Ecology, the research team reports what integrative biologist Alex Smith calls the "unexpected and fascinating case of plants eating vertebrates in our backyard, in Algonquin Park."

Pitcher plants growing in wetlands across Canada have long been known to eat creatures—mostly insects and spiders—that fall into their bell-shaped leaves and decompose in rainwater collected there.

But until now, no one had reported this salamander species caught by a pitcher plant in North America, including Canada's oldest provincial park, a popular destination where the plants have been observed for hundreds of years.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-meat-eating-ontario-canada.html

• Like 2

DirtyDocMartens

Well, that sucks for the salamanders.

• Like 1

Gary Meadows
3 hours ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

Well, that sucks for the salamanders.

It's the circle of life. 

:D

Seti42

What would a vegan/PeTA member do if they saw this? Save the animal, and starve the plant? Let the animal suffer for weeks and die so the plant can live?
TBH, I thought that video was kind of sad...I mean, death by carnivorous plant has got to be the worst way to go. They might just be salamanders, but they have nervous systems. They have neuro-chemistry. They panic, etc.
But, yeah, that's life.

AllPossible

"It turned out that the animals took up to 19 days to die and start being digested by the plants" That's 1 brutal son of a eating plant. Imagine being stuck for that long, wow that's terrible. Enough time to breath & starve to death. Ouch

Eat My Shorts

Well the plant didn't go hunting for the poor Salamander. The fish actually swam right into it's deaths, and the plants don't have the brains to know to save the fish or even a conscious not to digest the fish, soo...

Robotic Jew

When I eat salad, technically I am meat eating plant.

• Haha 1