Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eerie Accounts of Haunted Elevators

rashore

Elevators are for a lot of people just confined, claustrophobic shells that they merely endure to get from point A to point B. It is really just a little container, surrounded by dark space and snaking cables that lead up into the gloom, and when thinking about it in this was it may be no wonder why there have actually been quite a few hauntings gathered about these places. Indeed, there have been many such stories, and here we will look at some of the insidious, mysterious forces that seem to congregate around creepy elevators.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/06/eerie-accounts-of-haunted-elevators/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That's just wrong on so many levels.

• Haha 5

hum, i have inner ear issues "ear rocks" yes, bats does have rocks in his head and elevators are not my favorite, i am hypersesitive to the movements, and while oddly its worse in dreams than real life im claustrophobic,

my only elevator story is something that we certanly should not have done so dont try this one,  it was about 84 we were mall ratting and in the elevator of one of the higher end stores on the ends of malls my punkrock cohort pulls the doors apart at a point it stops and opens between floors alarms blarring, he had to hold the doors open i was pretty freaked out but the cool part to me, it had been done countless times before so much graffiti there was hardly room for me to add my moniker,  we did it a time or two after and the irony to me was even with the alarm no one ever checked it out, not reassuring.

haunted elevators, i recall a show that claimed one at a hospital i believe it was would go down to a floor that didnt exist and when the door opened it was a scene from some old battlefield make shift ER, horrified the riders start hitting buttons and it goes to the floor they desired,  of course its just a story.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, the13bats said:

haunted elevators, i recall a show that claimed one at a hospital i believe it was would go down to a floor that didnt exist and when the door opened it was a scene from some old battlefield make shift ER, horrified the riders start hitting buttons and it goes to the floor they desired,  of course its just a story.

That reminds me of a children's tv show from when I was younger. Similar premise: http://www.cultoftv.co.uk/cultkidstv/kingofthecastle.htm

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stiff said:

That reminds me of a children's tv show from when I was younger. Similar premise: http://www.cultoftv.co.uk/cultkidstv/kingofthecastle.htm

seems i ever so vaguely recall that, the show i mentioned i believe was on the old unsolved mysteries tv series....

• Like 1

One elevator story that has always doubly-interested me because I am a fan of the paranormal and also the Civil War. Two modern ladies went down an elevator and it opened to an old-time makeshift hospital with all the drama ensuing before their eyes. The doctor there urgently signaled the ladies to come over and help. They later found out that the building was used as a makeshift hospital during the Civil War.

I wonder if that doctor had a story of two disappearing women to tell in his day? After writing out his story, he probably heard in the members' comments section of the Unexplained Mysteries written journal of the day that he was just delusional from the stress. Or that he dozed off from the long hours and had a hypnopompic something or other.  He probably got HaHa'ed from the legendary Bats Masterson too. B)

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

One elevator story that has always doubly-interested me because I am a fan of the paranormal and also the Civil War. Two modern ladies went down an elevator and it opened to an old-time makeshift hospital with all the drama ensuing before their eyes. The doctor there urgently signaled the ladies to come over and help. They later found out that the building was used as a makeshift hospital during the Civil War.

I wonder if that doctor had a story of two disappearing women to tell in his day? After writing out his story, he probably heard in the members' comments section of the Unexplained Mysteries written journal of the day that he was just delusional from the stress. Or that he dozed off from the long hours and had a hypnopompic something or other.  He probably got HaHa'ed from the legendary Bats Masterson too. B)

you start pretty good, elaborating on the same case i already posted about, it would appear we both saw that unsolved mysteries episode and if you are bored track it down on youtube, but then you manage to veer off on some total specutive, down right fantasy based assumption that was some portal that went both ways, of course with zero evidence or proof,

very intriguing concept the basis for countless fictinal stories...well done.

ps, "bat" not "bats" as in Masterson was short for "Bartholemew"  my "bats" nickname isnt short for anything it came around from my Kustom Kulture car hobby stuff.

oh, here, go nuts,

https://unsolved.com/gallery/ghosts-of-gettysburg/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

ps, "bat" not "bats" as in Masterson was short for "Bartholemew"  my "bats" nickname isnt short for anything it came around from my Kustom Kulture car hobby stuff.

Not wanting to derail the thread too much but did you ever build a led sled? ('49/'50 Mercury) I recall one on a 'video' I had years ago that was a crazy bat-themed kustom.

Edited by Stiff

This is pretty scary. Haunted elevators like the one in the movie Devil

do scare me a bit.

23 minutes ago, LostSouls7 said:

This is pretty scary. Haunted elevators like the one in the movie Devil

do scare me a bit.

i guess so, they are just creepy to some people are are used in stories as horror devices,

i recall one at a daytona hotel and one at a club i did shows at both were very old, crappy looking they banged and clanged, jonted and jerked and scary but not because of spookies

Yes I know what you mean. I was on an old elevator the other day. I thought it was going to fall or get stuck. It's how old it sounded when it moved. I know what you mean. A spooky appearing would have just been worse.

• Like 1

It is really just a little container, surrounded by dark space and snaking cables that lead up into the gloom, and when thinking about it in this was (sic)

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/06/eerie-accounts-of-haunted-elevators/

?

Who ever sees it this way should use the stairs.

Its just a lift, freaking yourself out by thinking it leads up into the  gloom and being surrounded by dark space, is just ridiculous.

Get in, press your floor button and stop being such a woose.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

?

Who ever sees it this way should use the stairs.

Its just a lift, freaking yourself out by thinking it leads up into the  gloom and being surrounded by dark space, is just ridiculous.

Get in, press your floor button and stop being such a woose.

okay, while the quote you posted was a bit dramatic, if you rode in the ones i or lostsouls posted about you might understand that while i do not subscribe to "spookies" some of these old ones can be a bit spookie...:tu: 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, the13bats said:

okay, while the quote you posted was a bit dramatic, if you rode in the ones i or lostsouls posted about you might understand that while i do not subscribe to "spookies" some of these old ones can be a bit spookie...:tu: 

Many old places can be spooky, i have visited quite a few "spooky" places. But it is not because i think they are haunted, it is because they have a past and trying to imagine the past events while you are standing in there in the present day can create a weird feeling. 

I love old buildings because I love history. I get to know what i can about the place and then try to imagine the peoples lifestyle who onced lived there in days which are different from ours.

I think about the people who built them and look at how we have changed our current architecture.  

Trying to put yourself in the shoes of history while standing in a place which is from that time, is fascinating and yes can be spooky.

I have never encounted ghosts, because i am not looking to create one in my imagination.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Many old places can be spooky, i have visited quite a few "spooky" places. But it is not because i think they are haunted, it is because they have a past and trying to imagine the past events while you are standing in there in the present day can create a weird feeling. 

I love old buildings because I love history. I get to know what i can about the place and then try to imagine the peoples lifestyle who onced lived there in days which are different from ours.

I think about the people who built them and look at how we have changed our current architecture.  

Trying to put yourself in the shoes of history while standing in a place which is from that time, is fascinating and yes can be spooky.

I have never encounted ghosts, because i am not looking to create one in my imagination.

we sound very simpatico on this i hope the dear true believers doesnt hate you like poison as they do me.

i was in the same place 46 years then a bit over 3 here, this place now a fixer upper was made about 1919 but a town fatcat, rare in fl its got a nice if not somewhat mundain history, the fatcat had bands play in the second foyer then around the 20s a judge bought it for his daughter as a b&b called the greystone, that didnt work out in the 40s the basement 2000sf and rare for fl was used as a sign company and evidence of a gambing hall speak easy, the office still has numbers and memos written on the walls, even their license is still tacked up, in the 80s it was featured in the newspaper a fluff story basically, the 90s had a girl heather her boyfriend Wendell and other friends use the basement as a hangout complete with graffiti.

no real renovations ever done, went things were updated or added it seemed to beside or around the old, like lots of knob and tube wiring, most not functional,

things like plumbing was replaced but for example one bathroom hasnt functioned since the 70s and i got the vintage high tank toilet not wirking for decades in another bathroom working again, theres evidence someone lived in or hung out in both the 2000sf attic and closed loft of the carriage house, there are countless oddities here,

the lady we got it from was of course convinced it was haunted and claimed vampire rats chewed her toes at night, her ex confirmed she felt that way, she also complained if locked doors that open themselves but i quickly sloved that one without scoobies help,

i find new stuff almost daily, and while you know my stance on "haunted" the history or i should say lost history is very interesting and intriguing to me,  i would have loved to have seen the place the first few years, fireplace heat, wood stove very limited power etc.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, the13bats said:

ators, i recall a show that claimed one at a hospital i believe it was would go down to a floor that didnt exist and when the door opened it was a scene from some old battlefield make shift ER, horrified the riders start hitting buttons and it goes to the floor they desired,  of course its just a story.

What that story from Ghost Hunters, by any chance?  I may have also read it in the Gettysburg Ghosts books.  I think it is an often repeated ghost story from Gettysburg so it has probably shown up in lots of media.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:32 PM, freetoroam said:

You might be surprised what you've seen without realizing it. One I saw looked absolutely human and modern. She walked into a small, unused room where there was no way out except the door she entered by but was not in there when we went to ask her why she was in the building. If she had passed me on the street, I would never have even raised an eyebrow at her appearance. And this was not a "haunted" building nor a ghost investigation. We were just there having a meeting unrelated to anything that would make my mind project such an image from my imagination.  I've often wondered over the what/why/how of this and considered seizures and such but it is a clear memory with no hazy areas in it. And other people arrived momentarily to help round up the intruder without me ever losing sight of the only way in/out of the room.  <shrug> Sometimes these things happen when we least expect them. This was one of those times.

2 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

You might be surprised what you've seen without realizing it. One I saw looked absolutely human and modern. She walked into a small, unused room where there was no way out except the door she entered by but was not in there when we went to ask her why she was in the building. If she had passed me on the street, I would never have even raised an eyebrow at her appearance. And this was not a "haunted" building nor a ghost investigation. We were just there having a meeting unrelated to anything that would make my mind project such an image from my imagination.  I've often wondered over the what/why/how of this and considered seizures and such but it is a clear memory with no hazy areas in it. And other people arrived momentarily to help round up the intruder without me ever losing sight of the only way in/out of the room.  <shrug> Sometimes these things happen when we least expect them. This was one of those times.

either you are making it up, imagined it for who knows what reason or its a real ghost,

you say "we" did others see here, did video surveillance capture her?

since its just a story and i havent started to doubt your sincerity yet i go with imagined it, this happens to lots of people and they believe it just couldnt be all in their mind,

either that or real lady.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

you say "we" did others see here, did video surveillance capture her?

Oh, this was decades ago.  Back then we were still thinking seeing someone talk on a phone screen was just sci-fi stuff.

Like I said, I know what I saw (down to the texture of her clothing) but I have no idea what it was I saw. It remains unexplainable. If it was a seizure event it must have been idiopathic because in 40 years I’ve never had a reoccurance.

I know she passed within 10’ of me but never looked at or acknowledged me. I never left the spot I was standing so I know she never left the room. The room was a small unused bathroom with two stalls so there was no place to hide. She was simply gone. 

But if she was really there — in this dimension or another reality— is neither known nor proveable. It’s just one of those things I take out and turn over in my mind sometimes.

Edited by ScotDeerie

i believe you believe it, but me, i believe it was prosiac, either a real person or just in your mind, i mean zero offense.

heres a ancedote i like, susan blackmore in her studies of alien abductions what they really are had a patient unlike most all other alien abductees who close mindedly insist the only possible answer is aliens this patient knew it was just in his mind, as vivid as any memory and just as real to him as anything he had experienced in reality,  he knew that aliens were not taking him from his sleeping bed to their home planet. very refreshing.

i have had little experences that i couldnt explain but im very OCD  i didnt just move on i beat them until nothing was left to beat and my research proved to me it was all in my mind, the mind is very tricky, piney calls them "mind monkeys" im good with that.

dont get me wrong i know some people have far bigger better more epic experiences than i have and for some the only possible answer is paranormal, supernatural, so theres a dead end, open minds remove that dead end.

a bigger new mystery for me is a phenomenon i see on this forum, a person will pretty much adamantly dismiss and reject anyone elses claims and beliefs only to be very in the box close minded that their extraordinary personal experience and or claims and resulting beliefs are not just their opinions but cut in stone facts, ( of course they have zero proof ) 

very odd to me, kind of an "im special, your not mindset".

i would love your lady to have been a ghost but for me like i said it doesnt prove that because many other explainations are far more likely albeit boring and not as fun.

I did not offer the experience as proof but rather for the consideration that not all unexplainable things may appear as we expect to see them after a lifetime of movies and books and videos telling us what we should see. Ghosts may not be see-through, chills may not be felt, cold-spots may be abscent, etc.. It is entirely possible the paranormal is out there with us every day and we cannot/will not see it because of pre-determined expectations.

57 minutes ago, ScotDeerie said:

I did not offer the experience as proof but rather for the consideration that not all unexplainable things may appear as we expect to see them after a lifetime of movies and books and videos telling us what we should see. Ghosts may not be see-through, chills may not be felt, cold-spots may be abscent, etc.. It is entirely possible the paranormal is out there with us every day and we cannot/will not see it because of pre-determined expectations.

thats getting into stuff like john keel wrote about,

if something is out there but i will never see,feel,touch,taste,or have any kind of interaction with it whatsoever i cant think of a bigger definition of "moot" for me or just to say, so what?

now if you get into that whole "only special, enlightened, intune, open minded, yada yada yada people experence paranormal , supernatural, yeah, ive heard that excuse for no proof for about 45 years and counting.

books and movies are constructs of some person, just stories until proof presented, see above.

however, your encounter was a very basic idea of a ghost, so that makes it more likely a real spookie or your mind?

Edited by the13bats

I suppose you would only say “so what” until it happened to you because then you would have your own proof of <whatever> even if you couldn’t put it in a neat little box to carry it around and show others. And what happens if you can’t prove it — does that mean it never happened?  I just file my experience away as, “Huh, that was strange” and find myself not caring whether I can prove it to anyone or whether I’m believed. I don’t even really care I’ve never been able to define it to myself to any satisfaction. It just is what it is.  <shrug>