Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

3D-printed homes for Mars

7 posts in this topic

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

"Although humans are yet to even step foot on Mars, it seems NASA have sorted the living arrangements approving the design of 3D printed homes built from materials available on the Red Planet."
--

"The habitat is made up of cone-like buildings, 15 feet high and 8 feet in diameter. They are designed to be printed in just 30 hours and would offer a ‘tiny bubble of Earth on a distant world’.

"Spiral staircases would connect four levels inside the pods, each of which is dedicated to certain activities."

Check it out at UniLad (UK): https://www.unilad.co.uk/technology/incredible-pictures-of-nasa-approved-3d-homes-to-be-built-on-mars-before-humans-arrive/

At the AI Space Factory: https://www.aispacefactory.com/marsha

The 3D print at YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axnuLepJufs

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

rashore

Think there's a typo in that article? No way 15x8 feet. 15x8 meters maybe, lol. Still, really neat :tu:

• Like 1

Eldorado
28 minutes ago, rashore said:

Think there's a typo in that article? No way 15x8 feet. 15x8 meters maybe, lol. Still, really neat :tu:

Poor journalism? They've gotten confused, I reckon.

Part of the challenge was to "print-out" a 1:3 scaled model.  I've edited the OP to include a video of them doing just that.

• Like 1

kartikg

Will 3d printed houses survive there? Will they even survive the printing phase on Mars? 

bmk1245

Hiding in printed/whatever huts is kinda dangerous, better find undergroud caverns and roam there...

• Thanks 1

rashore
5 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Poor journalism? They've gotten confused, I reckon.

Part of the challenge was to "print-out" a 1:3 scaled model.  I've edited the OP to include a video of them doing just that.

Thanks El.. that makes way more sense. At first I read feet.. and I barely clear 5 feet tall and it made me laugh. Figured a foot tower would require folks going to be Mars to be under three feet tall to make for four levels. Then after I was gone giggling, figured it had to be a typo of some sort. 1:3 scale then. You could make a damn fine animal house of some sort out of that.

Anywho, I ramble. I did hit the site of the folks that have this because I was trying to figure out the dimensions thing. There is an Earth one, it looked pretty darn neat. It would be interesting to see a 1:3 scale project sent to Mars to see just how it would work or not as a test.

• Like 2

tmcom

It seems that they found a coconut on Mars are where doing experiments on it, in one of those images, amazing.

:o