Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

tmcom

6 minutes ago, tmcom said:

That is what we need to do, burn witches on mass, and torture them first, goes without saying.

:lol:

Baliunas and Soon had an article withdrawn from publication for technical errors.  They're pretty-much discredited.

That article was quoted by James Imhoffe, who didn't know about the withdrawal in his book claiming climate change was a fraud.

The Bush Administration used it as an excuse to ignore recommendations by their own climate panel.

Wikipedia sums it up nicely:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soon_and_Baliunas_controversy

Doug

• Like 1

I see that the Catastrophic Global Cooling alarmists are still at it.  We're about to plunge into a new ice age,  Again ....

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/10/27/the-real-climate-crisis-is-not-global-warming-it-is-cooling-and-it-may-have-already-started/

(although being Americans they appear oblivious to the fact that the USA is a mere 3% of the world, and in the grand scheme of things really quite insignificant ;)  ) 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tmcom said:

Found it!

B)

The only evidence is data.  To back up your claims you need a dataset.  If you don't have one, you have no hypothesis, hence all you've got is a wildass story.

Doug

My update on research activities isn't much this week:  I've been doing data transcription all week and I'm bored out of my mind.  Thinking of doing a test on precip just to see if it is increasing and whether there's any connection to humidity.  Sounds obvious, but humidity can linger for months, or a drought can be ended by one storm, so the connection may be kind of weak.

So I ran the tests to see if rainfall is increasing in Oklahoma.  Didn't detect any change over 125 years.  Yet the humidity has increased.  That humidity incease is small enough to hide in the precip variation.  If it is, I'll need another way to pull it out.  Have to think on this.  The extra moisture is probably not coming from rainfall, is not associated with Arctic ice cover and is not coming from evaporation off our large reservoirs.  So where is it coming from?  Maybe irrigated fields.  I haven't run those tests yet because I don't have the datasets ready.  After that I check water temps in the Gulf and if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

45 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

My update on research activities isn't much this week:  I've been doing data transcription all week and I'm bored out of my mind.  Thinking of doing a test on precip just to see if it is increasing and whether there's any connection to humidity.  Sounds obvious, but humidity can linger for months, or a drought can be ended by one storm, so the connection may be kind of weak.

So I ran the tests to see if rainfall is increasing in Oklahoma.  Didn't detect any change over 125 years.  Yet the humidity has increased.  That humidity incease is small enough to hide in the precip variation.  If it is, I'll need another way to pull it out.  Have to think on this.  The extra moisture is probably not coming from rainfall, is not associated with Arctic ice cover and is not coming from evaporation off our large reservoirs.  So where is it coming from?  Maybe irrigated fields.  I haven't run those tests yet because I don't have the datasets ready.  After that I check water temps in the Gulf and if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Doug

Could it be an increase in houses with lawns?  That is what I think caused the increase in humidity in Albuquerque, more lawns (which are now not allowed in new housing but old lawns are not regulated) and many trees and shrubs that are not from this area and require a lot more water.

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Could it be an increase in houses with lawns?  That is what I think caused the increase in humidity in Albuquerque, more lawns (which are now not allowed in new housing but old lawns are not regulated) and many trees and shrubs that are not from this area and require a lot more water.

Interesting idea.  If true, the rise in humidity should be correlated with population.  Now I have to look up the population for each county for the past 125 years, then divide those into the 9 divisions.  I'll have to think about it.

Doug

1 minute ago, Doug1029 said:

Interesting idea.  If true, the rise in humidity should be correlated with population.  Now I have to look up the population for each county for the past 125 years, then divide those into the 9 divisions.  I'll have to think about it.

Doug

Oh, I gave you more work, but I believe a lot of science research has missing relevant data (for many reasons) so  I am happy to give you another data set, if it will give you a better view of what you are researching.

26 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh, I gave you more work, but I believe a lot of science research has missing relevant data (for many reasons) so  I am happy to give you another data set, if it will give you a better view of what you are researching.

Most papers are broken down into minimally-publishable size.  What counts is the number of papers, not how good they are.  Even in science, we are slaves to the quantity-not-quality syndrome.  Anyway, if I keep talking to you, I'll never catch up.

Doug

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

Doug

To update the update:  my illustrator just sent me the drawings for the edge effect paper.  Tomorrow I fit them into the articles and submit them to the publisher.  At least I get away from data transcription for awhile.

Doug

About time this thread was put back on subject!

https://defyccc.com/cult-of-climate-change/

6) The alarmists deny, ignore, or distort elementary scientific facts, some of which should be known even to kids:

10) The climate change cult has its own eschatology—calamities, catastrophes, and the end of the world caused by global warming. To avoid this horrible end, we have to repent (i.e., accept the climate change cult dogma), stop sinning (releasing CO2), and generously pay whomever the IPCC or UNFCC will tell us to pay.

To add to the above, the climate change cult has survived multiple exposures of its frauds—something that a normal fraud cannot survive. Nevertheless, many cults involve fraud, and even true believers are not against profiting from their position in their cult. The climate change cult has been elevated by the Obama administration into state religion. Both the White House and NASA appear to have converted to this cult.

^_^

13) The climate change cult seeks and actually exerts control over governments. Even worse, it provokes international conflicts over hot air (mythical country quotas to release carbon dioxide).

The last one is the scariest that nutjobs, can actually wreck economies for their beliefs. But average people can see this so it is inevitable that the tide will turn.

:nw:

Edited by tmcom

10 hours ago, tmcom said:

About time this thread was put back on subject!

https://defyccc.com/cult-of-climate-change/

^_^

The last one is the scariest that nutjobs, can actually wreck economies for their beliefs. But average people can see this so it is inevitable that the tide will turn.

:nw:

Governments (mainly Reagan) were instrumental in creating the IPCC.  Reagan wanted politicians to control what the panel did.  He got his wish, but not without an argument.

Whether that was a good result or not is debatable.  Scientists aren't very good at getting the word out and without the IPCC climate change might still be buried in obscure research journals.  On the other hand, the IPCC's politicians have been known to change findings and emphasize the wrong things.  Maybe in the next incarnation we can get a better balance.

Doug

As I understand it, the main argument against the IPCC is that they are too heavily influenced by politics and the controlling coal/oil oligarchs, and adjust their reports accordingly.  I understand some scientists think they should be more honest: that climate change is much more serious than politicians want us to believe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Essan said:

As I understand it, the main argument against the IPCC is that they are too heavily influenced by politics and the controlling coal/oil oligarchs, and adjust their reports accordingly.  I understand some scientists think they should be more honest: that climate change is much more serious than politicians want us to believe.

That's what I understand.  But like I said, scientists are not very media-savy.

I think most people will come around eventually, but whether it will be in time for effective action, I'm not sure.

I see tmcom is at it with his "I don't know" symbol again.

Doug

• Like 1

Thankfully our Prime MInister is getting sick of demented teachers and activists brainwashing students, to skip school.

The Green leader is the stupid, brainwashed one, shaking his head that Aussies, won't go to 100% renewable s, and ****up everything!

I won't post the 17 year old, with a smile on his face, and probably a stash somewhere, (which explains why he is so happy about this serious end is nigh crap).

And down the bottom of this article...

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/students-hit-back-at-pm-after-less-activism-in-schools-climate-change-comment

Gretas mindless, speeches are behind it all, and her science is crystal clear and settled, all except all of those countries where ocean levels don't change, l guess Greta will have to do a Unicorn count?

So they are striking on Friday, why, p***ed that they can't slack off to protest! Good that our PM is getting sick of all of this crap, most Aussies where over this BS, years ago, but we have to grin and bear it, at least til we can vote.

He is also getting sick of the activists in AU, or Melbourne, which l considered getting within earshot, of, but since they are ****ing insane, best l don't.

Have to play this again...

The working class trying to get to work, (and probably living one paycheck at a time, thanks to these *****ers) or not surprised that they pulled them off the train, and bashed the crap out of them, (well, tried to).

But they also climbed on planes, since ****ing up people trying to get to work, on planes, isn't enough.

They should go after Decaprio's, or some of the royals on their private jets, but they are doing something, (yeah, right).

So the gov, in England is doing something but not fast enough for these nutters, so since higher electricity isn't enough they also disrupt their lives on top of it!

No wonder Britians are fed up and p***ed at these cult nutters!

These activists are p****ing off people worldwide, and showing what nutjobs they are, so l guess they have succeeded, lol.

This demonstrates, what happens when normal people who are swayed by evidence, meet stupid people that are not, a punchup, unless the police step in.

B)

On 10/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, tmcom said:

Found it!

B)

So did I:  https://skepticalscience.com/How-Jo-Nova-doesnt-get-past-climate-change.html

Found this too:  https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Joanne_Nova

Not to mention this one:  https://www.ramblingsdc.net/Australia/JoNova.html

And this one:  https://www.desmogblog.com/joanne-nova-climate-skeptics-handbook

Is that enough, or would you like some more?

Doug

• Like 1

But they also climbed on planes, since ****ing up people trying to get to work, on trains, isn't enough.

Couldn't correct this, this forum was down last night.

:o

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Greta always says we should listen to what the scientists have to say.  Here is one.

piers.png

Greta cherry picks who she believes in and the science!

And of course an oil company is behind this individual, that or Greta and her minions are dead wrong, and haven't the brainpower to figure it all out?

The number of Unicorns affecting our ocean levels, is the deciding factor, and everything hinges on that vital piece of data, lol!

:lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Greta always says we should listen to what the scientists have to say.  Here is one.

piers.png

Piers Corbyn doesn't just predict an imminent catastrophic ice age.  He claims we're already in one ......:lol:

(He doesn't speak to me these days - I think I upset him by pointing out once too often that his weather forecasts were actually less accurate than complete guesswork)

18 minutes ago, Essan said:

Piers Corbyn doesn't just predict an imminent catastrophic ice age.  He claims we're already in one ......:lol:

(He doesn't speak to me these days - I think I upset him by pointing out once too often that his weather forecasts were actually less accurate than complete guesswork)

If you actually google search 'are we in an ice age' you will find the answer is yes.  We are currently living in the Quaternary glaciation period of the ice age.

Just now, Aaron2016 said:

If you actually google search 'are we in an ice age' you will find the answer is yes.  We are currently living in the Quaternary glaciation period of the ice age.

Pedant :P   

Whilst technically ice age refers to any epoch in Earth history during which there are ice caps at one or both poles, more usually it is used to refer to a glacial period, and often, especially by doom-mongers, just for a stadial, or colder than normal period, within an interglacial (as in "the little ice age")

Not that the CGCers know any different - or want you to know the difference!

10 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Not sure if we are in one, but if the global charts, (the real ones, not the Unicorn ones) keep descending, we could find ourselves in an official mini ice age, before long.

Ironic that all of the faithful are making our electricity more expensive, while causing more power blackouts due to the wind/solar addiction, and that solar doesn't work as well in colder times, and is next to useless when it is overcast or snowing.

And the poor and pensioners will keep dying in greater numbers, trying to prepare for hotter weather, while our winters get harsher and harsher. But these nutters are always right, and just want to take action,...not think,...just take action!

Sea levels don't rise, that is the Unicorn phenomon, winters get harsher, that is,...Unicorns, or Global warming, (either works), not we are wrong, let's stop making dumb decisions and make intelligent rational ones!

Once someone, who isn't corrupted or stupid, (ABC, BBC, National Geographic, are out) does a Doc, showing how much damage this crap is causing the elderly and poor, this rubbish will get one more of its tentacles removed from the cliff.

:gun:

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:30 PM, tmcom said:

At the moment, we are getting more done through industry than through govt.  The way out is a sort of govt-industry partnership with govt providing basic research and funding and industry concentrating on applied research and reduction-to-practice.  Wind is now in the latter stage.  We have 17 years of records.  During those 17 years, Oklahoma has not had a single complete system failure due to a lack of wind.  It's because of that experience that we know that bigger-is-better, in terms of efficiency.

One drawback to wind that everybody seems to forget:  wind is an extraction industry.  It takes a big up-front investment.  The investment creates lots of jobs in the early stages, but once primary construction is complete, it takes a relatively small workforce to keep it running.  This means that once a windfarm is established, it's going to be around for a long time.  It also means that only big players can get into the business.  In the end, it will only re-enforce the big-business monopoly.

What we need are small wind systems - small enough to fit in the back of a pickup truck.  Something two or three people can set up and use.  If you want to get rich, invent such a system and patent it.  Help break the big-business monopoly on energy.

Doug

• The topic was locked