Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

BBC to scrap free TV licences for over-75s

43 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

Up to 3.7 million pensioners who previously received a free TV licence will now have to pay for it.

The BBC will scrap blanket free licences for over-75s, but households with one person who receives Pension Credit will still be eligible.

The BBC said "fairness" was at the heart of the ruling, which comes into force in June 2020.

It follows a consultation with 190,000 people, of which 52% were in favour of reforming or abolishing free licences.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

BBC is losing nearly a million licence payers a year as people cancel, due to the BBC no longer representing the lives of many people, and also people streaming content. but to target the over 75's c'mon. just get rid of your rolling 24 hr NEWS propaganda channel which like SKY news is run at a loss. BBC one, BBC2, BBC4 cancel the rest. but then its all about saturation coverage to reflect the "editorial view" i mean you cannot have to much Left liberal PC, LGBT, multiculturalism rammed down your throat can you.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016

Hopefully the BBC will have the sense one day to put classic comedies back on BBC 2.  It would certainly encourage many senior citizens to stay tuned and make the younger generations realize what true comedy is all about.  My uncle threw out his TV set about 5 years ago because there was nothing worth watching on it. Many prefer to listen to the wireless  I suppose the BBC will start charging for that as well.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skliss

What is a "tv license" ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Susanc241
5 hours ago, skliss said:

What is a "tv license" ?

Here in the here in the U.K. the BBC is a non commercial channel so it has to get its revenue from somewhere.   Before streaming etc if you had a TV you invariably had to pay for the licence.   They even had dectector vans going around picking up the signals from TVs in houses and if the address didn’t appear on the licence holders list, they nabbed you!  Way, way, back, in the mists of time when I was a child, we had to pay for a radio (wireless) licence, a TV licence and a dog licence.  Though I think it would be no bad thing for this last one to come back.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome

Yes, good old Auntie Beeb was clearly trying to paint this as "the Government won't let us put up the extortion licence fee as much as we'd like, so blame them not us, we have to do this so that the BBC can continue to provide all the services you love."  :yes: :no: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
5 hours ago, skliss said:

What is a "tv license" ?

It's a tax that the BBC is empowered to impose on anyone who has a TV, whether they ever watch the BBC or not. It's a historical anachronism dating back to the 1920s when the BBC was the Voice of the Nation so that it could remain impartial and not be dependent on funding from the Government or from advertising. It's a proud tradition that the BBC continues to be completely impartial and unbiased. :yes: 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RAyMO
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

a dog licence.  Though I think it would be no bad thing for this last one to come back

You don't need a dog licence? I had to pay mine last week. But NI has always been different.

Personally I am happy to pay the TV licence nothing worse than being engrossed in something or other and then for a bloody commercial break to upset it. But they really need to get back to providing decent sport. Being able to watch golf without adverts was something the US could only dream off. 

As for ending free TV licences for everyone over 75, this is only the beginning, when it becomes the norm for TV licences every benefit, possibly even state pension will become means tested.

Edited by RAyMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
2 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

You don't need a dog licence? I had to pay mine last week. But NI has always been different.

Personally I am happy to pay the TV licence nothing worse than being engrossed in something or other and then for a bloody commercial break to upset it. But they really need to get back to providing decent sport. Being able to watch golf without adverts was something the US could only dream off. 

That's the thing though isn't it, a prime example being formal 1. The Beeb can't compete with the huge American cable and satellite networks, no matter how much they might like to keep putting the BBC tax up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RAyMO
Just now, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

That's the thing though isn't it, a prime example being formal 1. The Beeb can't compete with the huge American cable and satellite networks, no matter how much they might like to keep putting the BBC tax up

don't argue with you there. But maybe some day - when I am even older, these sports will realise the folly of forcing a minority viewership in lieu of cash.

I know I am a dreamer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ouija ouija

As I understand it, those households that are single occupancy with the person on Pension Credit will still not have to pay for a licence. I think it's right that those who can easily afford it should pay for it. Plus, it's right that a family should pay for a licence and not be exempt just because they live with an over-75. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ethereal_scout

Personally I think the License Fee is a rip off. Only 20 years ago it was around £70, now its double that at around £150 - that gone up far more than inflation has since then. Employees wages don't go up with inflation (unless you're tax sector) so that's a real terms increase. I'd be for scrapping the whole thing and putting the BBC on tax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
6 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

They even had dectector vans going around picking up the signals from TVs in houses and if the address didn’t appear on the licence holders list, they nabbed you!

This is a myth. Such technology, as far as I'm aware, doesn't exist. It's all about scaring you into paying for a licence.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
5 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

That's the thing though isn't it, a prime example being formal 1. The Beeb can't compete with the huge American cable and satellite networks, no matter how much they might like to keep putting the BBC tax up. 

BBC actually has some really, really good shows. Not many, but some are top tier. Line of Duty is probably the best cop show I've seen in years.

Also, they're teaming up with ITV to produce their own streaming service. So add that to the TV licence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
19 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

BBC actually has some really, really good shows. Not many, but some are top tier. Line of Duty is probably the best cop show I've seen in years.

Also, they're teaming up with ITV to produce their own streaming service. So add that to the TV licence.

Oh yes, I'm not doubting that, I was just talking about their sports coverage and the way that they're being squeezed out by the giant American corporations, which is sad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
Posted (edited)

Trouble is, they don't give you the option of opting out. If somebody manufactured a t.v. or Freeview or Freesat box minus BBC content & meaning you didn't need a licence I think the BBC would be shocked at the take-up. The best thing that the BBC do these days is nature programs & they're available on Netflix & Amazon. (the BBC have forgotten how to do comedy shows).

Plus, from a politics point of view they bang the drum for a political party that hasn't been in power for twenty years..

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, Still Waters said:

Up to 3.7 million pensioners who previously received a free TV licence will now have to pay for it.

The BBC will scrap blanket free licences for over-75s, but households with one person who receives Pension Credit will still be eligible.

The BBC said "fairness" was at the heart of the ruling, which comes into force in June 2020.

It follows a consultation with 190,000 people, of which 52% were in favour of reforming or abolishing free licences.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

In the past year I think I watched 2 football matches online through the BBC iPlayer site.

I can live without that so why should we all be charged for that channel? I resent the daily dose of liberal-socialist propaganda they give out where they do the bare minimum they can legally get away with when it comes to political neutrality and impartiality. I refuse to watch the channel unless I absolutely have too (England matches, etc).

I dont watch Sky or Cable yet I`m not forced to pay for them. I only have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

In the past year I think I watched 2 football matches online through the BBC iPlayer site.

I can live without that so why should we all be charged for that channel? I resent the daily dose of liberal-socialist propaganda they give out where they do the bare minimum they can legally get away with when it comes to political neutrality and impartiality. I refuse to watch the channel unless I absolutely have too (England matches, etc).

I dont watch Sky or Cable yet I`m not forced to pay for them. I only have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Very Interesting interview with somebody that worked for the BBC for 30 years.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
58 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Trouble is, they don't give you the option of opting out. If somebody manufactured a t.v. or Freeview or Freesat box minus BBC content & meaning you didn't need a licence I think the BBC would be shocked at the take-up. The best thing that the BBC do these days is nature programs & they're available on Netflix & Amazon. (the BBC have forgotten how to do comedy shows).

Plus, from a politics point of view they bang the drum for a political party that hasn't been in power for twenty years..

You need a licence to watch any live TV (or the iPlayer). Doesn't matter if you don't watch BBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You need a licence to watch any live TV (or the iPlayer). Doesn't matter if you don't watch BBC.

Yes, that's the point I'm making. That's why it is so unfair. Why is the BBC so important. With most companies you pay for what you use, with the BBC you have to pay for it even if you don't want it. How about SKY charging us for not watching it too.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
9 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Personally I am happy to pay the TV licence nothing worse than being engrossed in something or other and then for a bloody commercial break to upset it

top tip. if you have sky, virgin or a recordable et top box. just as your programme starts pause LIVE TV, go make a cuppa, or the dishes. come back 5 to 10 mins later, get comfy hit play, now when the programme hits an ad break hit the fast forward button. haven't watched adverts for years. ;)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016

The irony is that several classic BBC sitcoms made fun of the TV licence fiasco.  Remember 'The Young Ones' episode when the detector man is knocking on the door and Vivian decides to eat the TV because he hasn't paid the licence, and the episode of 'Till Death Us Do Part' when Alf Garnett and his wife argue about the TV licence.  Who can blame them, and that was over 40 years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
On 10/06/2019 at 2:18 PM, Still Waters said:

52% were in favour of reforming or abolishing free licences.

Only 52% i demand another vote, they didn't know all the facts 'reforming' that means they want to keep the free licence.

 

Get rid of these first.

BBC Afaan Oromoo

BBC Amharic

BBC Arabic

BBC Azeri

BBC Bangla

BBC Burmese

BBC Gujarati

BBC Hausa

BBC Hindi

BBC Indonesian

BBC Kinyarwanda

BBC Korean

BBC Kyrgyz

BBC Marathi

BBC Nepali

BBC Pidgin

BBC Pashto

BBC Persian

BBC Brasil

BBC Punjabi

BBC Russian

BBC Sinhala

BBC Somali

BBC Mundo

BBC Swahili

BBC Tamil

BBC Thai Archive
BBC Thai Facebook page
BBC Thai

BBC Tigrinya

BBC Turkish

BBC Ukrainian

BBC Urdu

BBC Uzbek

BBC Vietnamese

BBC Yoruba

 

BBC Chinese

BBC French for africa

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

Shocking that they are going to charge the pensioners.

It is not just about money, it is about people who have worked and paid tax all their lives for this country and when they should be trying to enjoy their retirement, another scammer wants to take some of their money.

9 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Absolutely, if they want these then let them pay extra for it.

I have no qualms over these programmes BUT I certainly DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR THEM and neither should the Btitish pensioners who do not watch them.

Our country is a joke and the laughing stock of the world.

Get advertising BBC, you are going to loose millions when this generation of pensioners go as the youger crowd are already avoiding the licence because they have their computers and phones.

BTW trye story: years back a friend of mine went to court and won his case against the BBC, he said he never watched bbc channels, the bbc could NOT prove he did. If you never watch bbc or licence to it on the radio, then they have no right to make you pay for it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cyclopes500
Posted (edited)

I'd scrap the licence and tell the BBC to take up advertising. I threw my TV 5 years ago and saved £750 roughly including electric. I surf the Internet instead now. Not only can I read the news I can comment on it too. As for all those foreign language channels I'd scrap them and tell the BBC to concentrate on the language the English citizens use first. I mean I don't hear of anybody abroad paying £150 for a UK licence so why the hell should we pay for their free TV.

Edited by cyclopes500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.