Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maya acoustics: Chichen Itza

1 hour ago, Harte said:

So it was a big secret that nobody else knew, even after observing it dozens of times.

Makes sense.

Harte

Actually for centuries

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hanslune said:

So in your idea if the front warriors are making a sound like a rattlesnake was is the second set of columns doing?

Not much. Sound is a ray so from a position in front of the stairs little of the impulse sound would enter.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, WVK said:

What, Mayas don't clap?

Did they at religious festivals? You tell me.

In reality they used Trumpets, called hom-tahs, drums too made from turtle shells called pax and all manner of flutes.

Figure%201.jpg

Figure%207.jpg

These images from The Bonampak murals of Chiapas.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-murals-of-bonampak-chiapas-mexico-171611

I've seen many pieces of art with the Maya using horns, drums and flutes but not one with a representation of clapping - HOWEVER, I've never looked specifically for such. I'm sure WVK has done an extensive study and will now provide for us all the images from the Mayan cultures showing priests clapping.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

In reality they used Trumpets, called hom-tahs, drums too made from turtle shells called pax and all manner of flutes.

Figure%201.jpg

Figure%207.jpg

I've seen many pieces of art with the Maya using horns, drums and flutes but not one with a representation of clapping - HOWEVER, I've never looked specifically for such. I'm sure WVK has done an extensive study and will now provide for us all the images from the Mayan cultures showing priests clapping.

Well there it is, case closed.

1 minute ago, WVK said:

Well there it is, case closed.

Lol

Do you agree that limestone isn't crystal? This question will be repeated until answered. lol

So when you did your extensive research - how many images of Maya Priests clapping did you find?

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Lol

Do you agree that limestone isn't crystal? This question will be repeated until answered. lol

Limestone is not a crystal. Speaking of repeating questions you dodged this one :

"Do youi disagree with this?"

"6. Conclusions

Once the more technical content is exposed in relation to what we think is a representative example, it seems important to take up some considerations of a general nature.

We have mentioned several examples of acoustic effects that are heard in archaeological sites, particularly Mayan sites, and recalled some of the studies that have been done in this regard. Several examples were given that show that the Mayans gave great importance to acoustics. The basic conclusion is that there is much to be done and that the study must be done from different scientific and humanistic points of view. In the scientific part it is essential to adopt different approaches: analytical, asymptotic and numerical, in addition, of course, the experimental, since none of them in isolation can provide a complete understanding of a phenomenon. The simulation presented, together with the previous discussion, suggests a series of experiments to be carried out, as well as diverse questions and hypotheses that would have to be contrasted and validated or refuted in the light of an archaeological analysis. The panorama is, in our opinion, that of an extraordinarily rich and interesting field, in which the immense majority of the work is yet to be done."

1 hour ago, WVK said:

Maybe only the priests are allowed to clap  Failure to comply earn you a quick trip down the steps minus a heart.

*sigh* 

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

No, that human sacrifice amongst the Maya wasn’t punitive, and (except for funerary rituals) sacrifices weren’t drawn from the local community. 

—Jaylemurph 

This ^^ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Actually for centuries

No single person observed this for centuries.

Harte

1 hour ago, WVK said:

Not much. Sound is a ray so from a position in front of the stairs little of the impulse sound would enter.

... a ray, hunh? How long have you been trapped in a two dimensional hell, like the shapes in Flatland?

In the real world, sound propagates in all three dimensions. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Figure%201.jpg

Figure%207.jpg

No need for clapping.

When the Maya blew their horns in front of the collonade, the returning echo sounded like a rattlesnake playing "Won't you come home Bill Bailey" Louis Armstrong style.

Harte

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, WVK said:

it was a joke

Yep, tarring whole cultures as murder-obsessed religious zealots is a hoot, all right. 

It sort of highlights the absurdity of this whole thread, when a white person with no relevant knowledge of another culture purports to tell us all that culture was “really” doing with its architecture. 

You might as well be Helena Blavatsky or Edgar Cayce, but without the interesting criminal backgrounds. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You don’t do yourself a lot of favors citing articles you clearly haven’t read or don’t understand. Maybe you’ve got a touch of Mario Dantas disease. From your source:

The methods of geometrical acoustics have a limited range of applicability because the ray concept itself is only valid for those cases where the amplitude and direction of a wave undergo little changes over distances of the order of wavelength of a sound wave. More specifically, it is necessary that the dimensions of the rooms or obstacles in the sound path should be much greater than the wavelength. If the characteristic dimensions for a given problem become comparable to the wavelength, then wave diffraction begins to play an important part, and this is not covered by geometric acoustics.[1]

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

It sort of highlights the absurdity of this whole thread, when a white person with no relevant knowledge of another culture purports to tell us all that culture was “really” doing with its architecture. 

Huh? What does being white have to do with anything.  

58 minutes ago, Harte said:

No single person observed this for centuries.

Harte

The Maya priests were long lived like those dudes in the bible - I meant institutional knowledge!

2 hours ago, WVK said:

The panorama is, in our opinion, that of an extraordinarily rich and interesting field, in which the immense majority of the work is yet to be done."

Yep its very clear you've done virtually nothing towards doing the required study and research. You might want to stop posting and do some reading.

How many images did you find of Maya priests clapping? What sort of echo do you get from a Maya drum, horn and flute (maybe not on that flute) at those sites?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WVK said:

Huh? What does being white have to do with anything.  

...if you don’t get what’s wrong with an ignorant white guy mansplaining the complexities of native culture, I can’t help you. 

But it might help if you at least occasionally got a fact right.

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WVK said:

Double "sigh" JOKE

Meanwhile just a few months ago a Spanish member here was justifying the genocide against us using the same generalization. 

So it was in poor taste. :yes:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harte said:

The lattice arrangement is like the similar arrangement of atoms in a crystal.

This is large scale for sound waves, but similar effects appear using light waves and actual crystalline lattices.

Harte

They should say "lattice."  Really.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

They should say "lattice."  Really.

Yeah, well "feldspar" is a crappy name too.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Yep, tarring whole cultures as murder-obsessed religious zealots is a hoot, all right. 

You might as well be Helena Blavatsky or Edgar Cayce, but without the interesting criminal backgrounds. 

—Jaylemurph 

Hold on just a minute there.

In the interest of fairness, I say we shouldn't short change WVK like that.

For all we know, he may not lack an interesting criminal background.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Harte said:

Hold on just a minute there.

In the interest of fairness, I say we shouldn't short change WVK like that.

For all we know, he may not lack an interesting criminal background.

Harte

I concede he may have a criminal background. 

Just not an interesting one. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

Revisiting this thread with a TV game show on in the background, felt too relevant to not post! :su 

Who ever said that learning new words can’t be fun.

B8239CFA-C11D-41A2-9C7D-4F05A1BBB5F6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3